Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

Tips gas mileage MPGs FE

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

I assume that's what I'd get as well. But with 640 miles to drive, I wasn't going to do 65. Especially riding with people who needed to stop every hour or so. Plus the backup in Wytheville. Ugh. 

I've done enough long drives now that I'm just tired of it and just want to get to my destination. Screw the MPGs! Unless I'm going somewhere close by. Then I'm all about them <3

I know how you feel, i'm the same way.  38MPG at 80MPH is pretty good anyway.  I drive through Wytheville from time to time on my way to Tennessee, been lucky no major issues for me.

• obob and kyledamron like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#122 OFFLINE   grege

grege

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDC Metro
  • My C-MAX's Year:2017
  • Current Vehicle:C max titanium

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

For me, doing 15-20mpg better than my previous vehicle is a huge personal victory.  That, and because I don't burn any extra fuel while being stopped in traffic makes me happier for some weird reason.  So far, I'm averaging 45.9 mpg for my weekly commuting.  Not sure I'll be able to do much better, but we'll see.

Greg 

• ptjones likes this

#123 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,680 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

Just filled up and got 58.3 mpg/ 770 miles / 13.2 gal. and 50% Hwy with some A/C, temps 70-95*F and have averaged 55.1 mpg for last 10 fill ups.  YouTube views are up to almost 10k now. :)

Paul

#124 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

I drove up to Silver Comet Depot to bike ride about 49 miles on State routes (50-55 mph) and got 63.4 mpg.  Going Home 43 miles, 27 mi. FWY, 16 mi. SR's got 61.9 mpg with speeds 75-45 mph. Every is working great with temps 75-85*F and 208K miles on the car. :)

Paul

#125 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Good to know you’ve done another 100k and haven’t needed a trans again!

I did a few trips down to the good will the other week and did about 50.3 when it was 98 degrees out with high (93%) humidity and the A/C on 72 with Highway driving at 63MPH. It’s about 22 miles each way.
  • ptjones likes this

#126 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

Well my Fuelly average went up to 49.1 mpg now and  this is some encouragement for others that even with 208k miles your average can still go up. Last Tank I got 61.3 mpg. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 09 September 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#127 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

So Paul, isn't it about time you go for that 1000 mile tank? :)  Better do it before the new tires go on.

#128 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

Interesting idea, but I replaced my rear tires because I got a hole in the sidewall of one of them. :sad:  Practically speaking to do it you would have to look for favorable winds, temps 75-85*F and watch the elevation changes. The most efficient way to drive for MPG's is to drive non stop, don't let the ICE cool off when you stop.   1,000 miles is a long ways, about half way across the Country. Preferably you want to use 93 octane Pure Gas and then add NOS Octane Booster, I've used 90 octane Pure Gas and NOS Octane Booster. :) My wife says she doesn't want to go on anymore MPG Record breaking trips so I guess I will have to do it by myself. :sad: You need to average atleast 72 mpg to do it, so I was 4 mpg short on my last Record Breaking Run of 68 mpg/950 miles. :gaah: LOL :)

Paul

#129 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:52 AM

Hey I finally had an MPG worth reporting, yesterday.  I drove 1.2mi total and 1.1mi of that was on EV, according to car I had 153 instantaneous MPG!!   I didn't take a photo, I think it's just the universe trying to tempt me to buy a Tesla but I'd rather pay my house off first.

• ptjones likes this

#130 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:25 AM

Attached File  170MPG.JPG   65.15KB   0 downloadsI'll help you out. :)  You can have some fun with this by having your HVB regen charged up to the top when you turn off the car.  Let it cool off for a few hours so when you go to start it up the HVB charge should be maxed out and should be able to go around 2 miles without starting the ICE if you stay below 35 mph. The ICE will automatically start the first time when you get to 35 mpg to lube the trans. If you stop before the ICE starts you will get 999 mpg for that distance. :)

You will be amassed how powerful the motors are when you stat out with high charge and cool HVB..

Paul 

#131 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

I replaced my two rear tires with 78k mi. with new Michelin OEM tires and already have 5k mi. on them, it seems I have lost maybe a 1 mpg with the new tires. This backs up what people have said that mpg's improve with tire wear. That being said I'm still getting 61 mpg on Smart Gauge and looking to get 800 mi. on this tank. Currently have 620 miles. :)  My old Michelin OEM tires on  the front have 83k mi. and should make 90k mi. using 50 psi tire pressure.

Paul

#132 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

Well I finished the tank with 825 mi./59.3 mpg average with 50% HWY and my Fuelly.com average went up to 49.2 MPG with 212K miles on the Odometer. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 07 October 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#133 OFFLINE   DarenHayes

DarenHayes

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax Hybrid SEL

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

Excellent job Paul. love your updates :)

#134 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 500 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Just gassed up.  Best tank this year.

Attached File  gas.png   163.73KB   0 downloads

#135 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:36 AM

Just gassed up.  Best tank this year.

attachicon.gifgas.png

Good Job! :)  You could have made 600 miles easily, you had at least 2 gallons left. :)  Most of my fill ups  are mid to high 12's gallons on Smart Gauge.  This is why I average about 700 miles per tank. When Smart Gauge reads 0 miles to Empty you have around 25 miles more you can go.

Paul

#136 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 500 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

Good Job! :) You could have made 600 miles easily, you had at least 2 gallons left. :) Most of my fill ups are mid to high 12's gallons on Smart Gauge. This is why I average about 700 miles per tank. When Smart Gauge reads 0 miles to Empty you have around 25 miles more you can go.

Paul

I go for highest mpg’s , can’t fill tank to top in Oregon. Is full when it clicks off.
  • ptjones and obob like this

#137 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

I think the most I have put in the tank after the first click is 1/2 a gallon and most times 1/3 a gallon.  How much you put in the tank doesn't effect the end of the tank, just overall distance. So you don't have to worry about running out. :)

Paul

#138 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

And it just keeps going up.  :)  Life Time Score 50.2 mpg and Fuelly.com average 49.2 mpg, 55.5 mpg average for the last 10 fill ups.  Also I haven't reset trip 2 in about 76k miles and My Smart Gauge average is 54 mpg. Bottom line is even with 212k miles on the Odometer  you can improve your Life Time average MPG's if you want too.   :)  post-143-0-21206000-1539443162_thumb.jpg

Paul

#139 OFFLINE   jmcgliss

jmcgliss

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicagoland
  • My C-MAX's Year:2018
  • Current Vehicle:2018 C-Max SE

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

This is our first season of cool weather driving. My wife is noticing a drop in mileage despite maintaining the same 40 psi tire pressure and minimal use of the heater. What steps can we take to improve mileage when temps drop below 40 F degrees?  She's spoiled with a 54mpg average!

• ptjones likes this

#140 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

Cold air is more dense so mileage will drop in winter even if nothing else changes - sadly its unavoidable.  But there are things you can do:

1. Use a grill cover to help warm up the ICE more quickly and keep it warmer.  A warm engine is more efficient.  ptjones and others have a lot of experience with them - read their posts.
  2. I have no experience with this item but others have tried various ways of preheating the ICE in the morning.
  3. Use seat heaters if you have them instead of heating the whole car.  Its amazing how much warmer you feel.
  4. Use recirculate with the heater as much as possible.
  5. A lot of us run tire pressure at 50 psi or close to it - might help a bit.
  6. Use no ethanol gasoline if available.  (I use it exclusively.)
  7. Use premium octane fuel.  I have no experience here but others do and see better mileage since the engine computer adjusts for higher octane making the engine more efficient.  Better mileage but higher cost per mile.

That 54 mpg average is fantastic!

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tips, gas mileage, MPGs, FE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·