Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

Tips gas mileage MPGs FE

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,656 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

Getting back to topic of getting Great Gas Mileage, I developed Grill Covers to fix the problems with the shutters which they do very well. FORD said the normal operating temps for  the ICE are 202 -212*F so if you are running temps less than 202*F you are wasting gas. The opening temp for shutters is 212 to 216*F from my testing.  Also my testing shows the best MPG's happen from 210*F to 230*F and the only way this happens is if you are using Grill Covers and I use both about 90% of the time. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#162 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationFt. Collins
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford CMax

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

One easy way to gain an estimated +0.2 to +0.4 MPG is to use a special engine oil I found recently.  Eneos Racing Street (RS) 0w-20, a qualified API SN GF-5 oil I got from Amazon.

What makes it different than, say, a typical 0w-20 like Mobil1 AFE 0w-20:

• Friction Modifier (reducer):  Eneos has 900 ppm moly; Mobil1 has 88 ppm moly.
  • Viscous Friction reduction:  Eneos has a KV40 of 29 cSt; Mobil1 is 45 cSt.
  • Both are full synthetic.  Eneos's base oil is all Group3+ (like Pennzoil Platinum's PurePlus base oil), while Mobil1's base oils is about half PAO, half Group3.
  • Both oils have the same, usual, typical HTHS 2.7, which indicates how much hydrodynamic lubrication conditions happen in an engine, and its important to be at 2.7 here, kind of an important number which both oils have.
  • I know the word 'racing' is in the name, next to the word 'street', yet the API SN GF-5 rating means this is a fully qualified street engine oil.

More moly (Molybdenum compounds) is actually quite protective (wear) as well as reducing friction, and Eneos has a lot more.  Several Japanese oil formulators like Eneos take a high-moly approach for some unknown reason, getting more friction benefits than just the minimal necessary to pass the certification specifications.  Another story there I won't go into.

The difference in viscosity (KV40 for example) will help an engine during cold-cool-warm operation to get better MPG via less viscous friction drag.  Especially pronounced in the winter, yet will help in summer too.

Base oil is of very good quality & performance, as Group3+ is a great performer, very similar to Mobil1 going with half PAO, half Group3 (note their Group3 is not Group3+).

Eneos Racing Street 0w-20 does cost more.  I ordered a 6-pack from Amazon and it was $66, no tax, no shipping (Prime).  Not cheap, I know.

Only for hypermilers or somebody who really values extra MPG here. 

Mobil1 AFE 0w20 at about $5 per quart in big jug is the bargain at Walmart, yet without all that moly & better viscosity.

#163 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,019 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

Getting back to topic of getting Great Gas Mileage, I developed Grill Covers to fix the problems with the shutters which they do very well. FORD said the normal operating temps for  the ICE are 202 -212*F so if you are running temps less than 202*F you are wasting gas. The opening temp for shutters is 212 to 216*F from my testing.  Also my testing shows the best MPG's happen from 210*F to 230*F and the only way this happens is if you are using Grill Covers and I use both about 90% of the time. :)

Paul

OK,  I  think we see similar except that your videos are poor quality and one can't really see much except full / near full opening and can't tell how closed the shutters really are plus you have the grille covers on when video recording.   I recall you believing that the shutters are "leaky" - allowing a lot of air around them in the past  This really is likely more of not being able to see smaller shutter opening in your videos. 

The point would be to record normal shutter operations showing open positions like my video as it is an easier sell on grille covers.  It's easier to convince others that your grille covers will help improve FE because of enchanced aero dynamics, quicker warmup, higher operating temps and so forth because normal shutter operations allow air to flow through under many conditions while yours block virtually all air flow.  But evidently you consider this "off topic."  :)

Bottom line when covers are on it's moot how the shutters opperate. You need to show operations without shutters on. ;)    

I agree that grille covers do improve FE as I have used them (as you know purchased from you) and tested them.  :)  

#164 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:00 AM

With that Chart I don’t think there’s a need for the video as it has the data I think we need.
I’m very curious as to why they open so much at low speeds. I would think they should just be closed all the way until cooling is needed.

The Grill covers do help keep the heat in the radiator when stopped vs without. Likely due to the shutters opening.

Is there a way to get the PID for the shutters on the Scannon gauge?

#165 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,656 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

I looked and couldn't find any codes for shutter position for ScanGaugeII, maybe someone else can find them. :headscratch:  I did email ScanGaugeII  service for help.

One important note concerning Grill Covers is they don't block all air flow to radiator and ICE compartment.  Standard Velcro installation some air gets around covers into cooling systems, also air goes thru top grill to cool ICE Compartment.  During the Winter I will add top Grill Cover which adds about 5 *F to average running temps and also I will tape up center Grill Cover to minimize air flow to ICE compartment. :)

Paul

#166 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 166 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:38 AM

I don't think i'll do the tape any more, never could get all the stuff off of mine and parts of the bumper look bad

#167 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:55 AM

With that Chart I don’t think there’s a need for the video as it has the data I think we need.
I’m very curious as to why they open so much at low speeds. I would think they should just be closed all the way until cooling is needed.

The Grill covers do help keep the heat in the radiator when stopped vs without. Likely due to the shutters opening.

Is there a way to get the PID for the shutters on the Scannon gauge?

Correct you don't need a video.  What I'm going to do is to start a new topic just for shutter operation as there will likely be lots of graphs posted (no videos :)).  I took my wife to the airport today and also dog to vet.  So, I recorded a couple hours worth of data at low early morning ambient temps (61-65F) at speeds up 75+mph and slower speed through develpment.   We can look at lower and higher speed data under the new topic. with and without AC.  I will also continue to record at higher ambient temps.  I believe the charts will all look similar except shutter opening generally start out higher with higher ambient temps.  Turning on AC kicks the opening even higher.  

Like I have always said grille covers do increase temps and aerodymaics and thus FE.  I don't like running grille covers at high ambient temps with AC on as ECT will generally be 220F+- at interstate speeds and higher going up steeper grades.  The highest I've seen was 234F.  

I looked and couldn't find any codes for shutter position for ScanGaugeII, maybe someone else can find them. :headscratch:  I did email ScanGaugeII  service for help.

One important note concerning Grill Covers is they don't block all air flow to radiator and ICE compartment.  Standard Velcro installation some air gets around covers into cooling systems, also air goes thru top grill to cool ICE Compartment.  During the Winter I will add top Grill Cover which adds about 5 *F to average running temps and also I will tape up center Grill Cover to minimize air flow to ICE compartment. :)

Paul

Yes, I did seal my grille covers with tape on several round trips from TN to Pittsburgh in colder weather but don't recall exact effect on temp but temps were higher and tape was a pain to remove 

I searched for the shutter PIDs also before I got ForScan for several of the other Apps I had for my smartphone with no luck.  You might hit up the Forscan forum.  I believe someone asked Forscan for PIDs (not specifically for shutters).  I can't remember their answer but I don't think they gave any out.  But some member might know.

#168 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,656 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

I filled up  yesterday and got Premium for $2.63/gal at Sam's Club Buford, GA 13.1 gallons for $34.46. :)  With average temps going down MPG's are going down a little too. I started out yesterday at 57.6 mpg with 525 miles on the tank, drove to North Georgia Mountains taking pics of Fall Leaves changing colors and Water Falls. About 200 miles later my MPG's had dropped to 56.6 mpg when I filled up and actual Fuelly 54.8 mpg.  If you haven't put Grill Covers on your car yet maybe you should. Oil Pan Heaters help to  warm up the ICE quicker too. :)

Paul

• obob likes this

#169 ONLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

I filled up yesterday too. I even did better than my last tank of 48.1.   In the middle of this run I drove across the Cascade mountains in Oregon and so to get back home I filled up in Bend and didn't reset the counter.  Got 48.5 mpg for 829 miles.  The Homestead family got another C-max a couple weeks ago.  My Son's family got a loaded 2016 blue C-max Energi with 17k miles on it.  He has a 1hr commute (one way) each day so he is thrilled with the savings in gas so far.  He got 191.8 mpg going to work and 51mpg going home.

Paul you need to move to Phoenix in the winter to keep your mpgs up.  :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Gas.png   556.19KB   0 downloads

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tips, gas mileage, MPGs, FE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·