Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Using car as generator

generator inverter

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,790 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:01 AM

In case I was not clear, I was proposing hooking the deep cycle battery to the battery in the C-

So are you saying that when the C-Max uses 12 volt power with the key in the engaged position (engine will go on when needed) the power does not come from the 12 volt battery but kind of comes from the HVB, so the 12 volt battery does not really get depleted.   If this is the case, then my idea to hook the deep cycle battery to the car 12 volt doesn't do much when the key is on.  To keep the engine from running a lot in the cold, it might work to charge the HVB to a high state by tricking the car to think you want the heater on until the HVB is charged.  IF this is the case it might be a good idea to use a electric space heater to heat the car with the key engaged.

In the ready to drive position.  I have push button start.  Yes, the DC/DC converter is supplying the load (like a conventional alternator would do) whether ICE is on or off.  But unlike a conventional car, ICE in the C-Max will be off until the HVB is below a threshold level.  ICE will then start to charge the HVB up to a certain level and then shut off. This ICE on/off cycle will continue.  This is significantly more efficient than running a conventional car continuously for auxiliary power.   The 12 V C-Max battery does not get depleted as the DC/DC converter keeps its charge up.

Like I've said several times in other threads, I've done this to keep car cool (AC on) with my dog in the car.  IIRC, you have to lock the car with the key FOB.  IIRC, the black button on the handles won't work to lock the car with the car in ready to drive.  It's probably illegal to leave the car "running" in most jurisdictions.  But when I've done it, I've parked somewhat away from where most are parking so as not to attract attention with a pet in a "hot" car and an unattended running car.  When I first started do this, I checked about every 10 minutes or so to make sure the all was fine.

Don't know about a keyed ignition system. But I assume that if you start the car by turning the key, you are in ready to drive just like with push button start.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 14 April 2017 - 06:06 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 414 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

In case I was not clear, I was proposing hooking the deep cycle battery to the battery in the C-

So are you saying that when the C-Max uses 12 volt power with the key in the engaged position (engine will go on when needed) the power does not come from the 12 volt battery but kind of comes from the HVB, so the 12 volt battery does not really get depleted.   If this is the case, then my idea to hook the deep cycle battery to the car 12 volt doesn't do much when the key is on.  To keep the engine from running a lot in the cold, it might work to charge the HVB to a high state by tricking the car to think you want the heater on until the HVB is charged.  IF this is the case it might be a good idea to use a electric space heater to heat the car with the key engaged.

Putting a deep cycle battery in parallel with the car battery wouldn't do much to save the car battery.  Both batteries would go through the same discharge and recharge cycles, it would just take a little longer before the ice kicks on.

Don't understand the reason for putting electric space heater in the car plus how would you power the heater during a power failure?

#23 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

Putting a deep cycle battery in parallel with the car battery wouldn't do much to save the car battery.  Both batteries would go through the same discharge and recharge cycles, it would just take a little longer before the ice kicks on.

Don't understand the reason for putting electric space heater in the car plus how would you power the heater during a power failure?

I didn't do the best job on that post.

The electric space heater in the car was for winter days so I wouldn't have to run the engine just to warm the car up.

I would consider this if it did not drain the 12V battery but come off the HVB.

#24 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Thinking about getting this inverter https://www.amazon.c...watt SW600 600W

Someone has used this inverter successfully with the same brand pellet stove.

I tried running my car last night with headlights off.  Was concerned that the running lights on

the car might stay on but all exterior lights were off.  Only the dash lights were on.  I thought

this was a problem with c-max at drive-in theaters but perhaps they fixed it.

I don't keep my c-max in a garage so no risk of monoxide gas and plan on locking the car doors

with another fob leaving a 2nd fob in the car so the horn doesn't honk when you close the door.

#25 OFFLINE   jmckinley

jmckinley

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 280 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationSouth West Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL, Mazda Miata, Chrysler Town & Country MiniVan, Damon Daybreak MotorHome, Suzuki V Strom

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

I tow my C Max with a motorhome.  To keep the 12V battery from running down when towing, there is a 12V charge line from the Motorhome to the C Max battery.

On occasion, when camping somewhere where there is no 120V hookup for the motorhome everything in the motorhome runs off the two large house batteries. After a day or so I will let the Cmax run and charge the motorhome house batteries back through the charge line..  Same as previous posts, the ICE will start occasionally and then shut off.  Much quieter than running the gasoline generator on the motorhome.

• obob likes this

#26 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Update:

Received the inverter and installed it in the hatch area.  Tested it using a 3 prong 120v outlet tester and a floodlight.

Didn't want to test it with the stove since its 75F out today but will test it this fall.

So, it looks like I am good to go.  Anyone know if there is rubber plug in the hatch area to the outside world

big enough for an extension cord?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·