The light on the dash that indicates the passenger seat airbag is off when the seat is empty is no longer illuminated in my car. When it first turned off, it came back on for a few minutes two different times the first day, but then never illuminated again. After a month or so, I had the dealer look at it during routine service and they could not find a problem or error code. They said "maybe it's not supposed to be lit" (so it was broken since July 2013 because it has always been illuminated before this?!?!). They told me that having a map in the pocket on the back of the seat was probably causing the system to think there was a passenger, even though the map weighs a few ounces and has been there the entire time I've had the car. After they fiddled with it, it still didn't work for the first 50ish miles after getting my car back, but then it suddenly turned on again for 3 days, then turned off and has stayed off for 4 weeks since then. My concern is that I don't know if it's a light problem, a loose wire somewhere, or an airbag problem... since no error codes are showing, how do I know if my airbag works on the passenger side? Anybody else had this problem? What was the cause and what was the fix? (I have a 2013 SE with around 115,000 miles.)

Edited by Singoffpitch

• 5 years later...
On 5/11/2017 at 9:46 PM, homestead said:

I had a problem similar to this on the drivers seat.  Turned out to be a wire

pulled out of a connector under the seat.  They re-seated the wire and redressed

the wires under the seat.

I also have the airbag light on the main dash and occasionally the Passenger Airbag Light Off on the center console turn on when I'm the only person in the car.  Did anyone determine which connector under which seat is the source of the problem?

I think the airbag light was on mine too.  It was under warranty so I didn't work on the problem at all.  But the tech told me of the

wires pulled out of the connector and he assured me that they redressed the wire harnesses so it wouldn't happen again.

Since it is tied to the airbags if I was going to work on it I would disconnect the 12V battery and examine the connectors

under the driver seat checking that all the connectors are fully seated.