Car and Driver 2017 C-Max Review

Bill-N

They only got 33 mpg with the C-Max on their new 200 mile fuel-economy test loop, which is apparently 200 miles at 75 mph, and 35 mpg over the course of the testing for the review. While I realize this is Car and Driver, I did hope that the new C-Max would do better.

"Your mileage may vary” is one of the oldest proverbs in the automotive rulebook. But even though the EPA is constantly looking for ways to improve its testing procedures and rating calculations, “YMMV” still applies to today’s EPA fuel-economy ratings—fueleconomy.gov even has an entire section titled “Your Mileage Will Still Vary.” So we devised our own test procedure in an attempt to better replicate how most people drive on the highway, beyond the constraints and complicated math of the government tests. Our test entails a 200-mile out-and-back loop on Michigan’s I-94. Drivers are instructed to maintain a GPS-verified 75 mph, using the cruise control as much as possible, and to run the air conditioning at 72 degrees if the vehicle has automatic climate control or at a moderate setting if it does not." - C&D

I have traveled interstates in TX, OK, AZ, and NM many, many times where the speed limit is 75 mph or greater.  At these speeds + 2-3 mph (GPS verified) in eco-cruise and with AC on, it is difficult for me to get 35 mpg actual (display will likely be 36+ mpg).  I usually set the AC at about 74*F.  I do have my tire pressure currently set at 47-48 psi and I generally have between 450 - 500 pounds of payload.

C&D mileage seems a few mpg low.

Like most 'enthusiast' car magazines, the editorial staff of CD measures everything they drive against very high performance sporty cars.

If they tested fire trucks, CD would complain about the high center of gravity, poor skidpad handling, lack of paddle shifters, no Z-rated tires, and 0-60 times greater than 10 seconds.

I wonder how many miles were on the CD test vehicle?

Eco-cruise at an indicated 75mph on a relatively flat loop of Michigan interstate is among the worst possible scenarios to attain great mileage in a C-MAX Hybrid.

At 75 mph-speed-limit Eco-Cruising across the flatlands of Kansas last summer in our 2013, we recorded an actual 35.6 mpg with 3 adults, luggage, and AC on 100%.

C&D doesn't comment on what the temps and driving conditions were during test drives.  That can make a big difference in MPG's and driving 75+mph isn't good for CMAX MPG's, because of aerodynamics.  I don't think they care what needs to be done to get good MPG's and they don't comment on how fun the car is to drive. :sad:  I usually don't drive 75-80mph unless traffic is or I have strong tall wind or long down hill stretch. :)  I'd rather go 60-70 mph and get 49 mpg going to AZ and back and it still only takes two days and three fill ups. :)   

Paul 

Well, I still say, with all its "flaws", the EPA ratings are still the best thing out there by far to compares cars.  The comment that "...we devised our own test procedure ... beyond the constraints and complicated math of the government tests." is just a big cop-out.  As Paul points out, there are so many variables that are not controlled or even mentioned.  I'm pretty much to the point of considering all these articles as so much random noise.

As to AC use, there are several things you can do to reduce power consumption (which can vary by more than 10 to 1)!

1. Use recirculate!  Very important to not keep cooling hot, humid outside air all the way down to inside temperature.
  2. Set the temperature up to about 76.
  3. Use only the fastest fan speed necessary (but do use faster fan speed over lower temperature).
  4. Close vents that are not blowing on a human (cool people, not the car).
  5. With pano roof, close the shade!

I frequently use AC with it drawing only about 300 watts!

The worst interstate gas mileage I've gotten was 38mpg at 80 mph. I don't know how they could have gotten that 33mpg number. I don't over inflate my tires or not run the HVAC, I keep it at 72 auto. Over 26,000 miles I'm at 42.3 and I'm good with that since most of my driving is around town and I average about 60mpg doing that.