Solar Eclipse 2017 Road Trip!

SnowStorm

OK folks, the great total solar eclipse of 2017 is almost here!  August 21 is the day.  This is the one you don't want to miss!  Even if you "couldn't care less" about astronomical events, reconsider hopping in that C-Max you love and taking a road trip to the path of totality (but not beyond!).  A total solar eclipse is not just something you go to "see", its something you go to "experience" - and its quite like no other.

This one goes entirely across the continental US from Oregon to South Carolina crossing over many major cities (first one like this since 1918).  Here's the path on NASA's eclipse sight:

Eclipse 2017 Interactive Map

You want to get your C-Max close to the center line but you certainly don't need to be right on it.  The duration of totality for this particular eclipse is about 2 to 2.7 minutes (depends on location) which is quite good.  Of course a cloud can block your view so start tracking the weather forecast a week before and have some alternate destinations planned.  Below is a sight for more information and where you can buy viewing glasses for the partial phase (before the sun is totally covered).  Do not risk eye safety!!!  Read up on it and get some certified glasses.

eclipse2017.org

Anyone else making plans for this awesome event?

Edited by SnowStorm

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow is the day!  So nice to have lots of sunny weather in the forecast.  Today I saw one of those electronic overhead Interstate signs saying something like "Solar Eclipse Aug 21 Heavy Traffic".  Never thought I'd see something like that on one of those signs - wish I had a photo of it!

Eclipse Day

A sun to rule the day,

A moon to rule the night;

Yet with its shadow gray,

That moon has won the fight!

Oh how I wish that it could stay,

... this awesome sight!

Snowstorm.

(P.S. I see its too late to enter the bad poetry contest!)

Boy, was I glad for a hybrid today!  All that slow/stopped eclipse traffic and detours on side roads helped net 56.6 mpg indicated for 390+ miles and 58% EV with AC on almost the whole way.  Lost all interest in conventional cars!

Yes, I'm tired, but the eclipse was great.  Went to Dollar General afterwards and bought a box of Moon Pies!

Went up to Greenwood, SC, but took the F150 EB 4X4 because of the cloud situation. I had visions of driving down dirt roads to find a hole in the clouds. :sad:  As it turned out conditions were great with very few clouds around the horizon and we stopped where a lot of people had parked to watch the eclipse. :)  We were able to get a video with my Wife's camera with  300 mm telephoto lens. Going State Routes we didn't have traffic problems though it took 5 yrs to get there. Going home it only took 3 yrs.  on the Interstates. :)

Paul

Did a run from San Diego to Rexburg, Idaho. Put 2300 miles on the C-max round trip, including a day of scouting for a better campsite. I stopped recording the individual gas tanks some ways in, since I was being careful to keep it topped off, just in case there was a run on gas, so the Fuelly doesn't report that milage yet - but between AC and 80MPH highways through Utah and Idaho, mileage was down a tad to 41MPG. 

Definitely worth it, and I'll spare no expense to chase the 2024 Eclipse.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

• 2 weeks later...

By sheer coincidence, we were on holiday in Seaside, OR.  Got up at 6 a.m. and drove a couple of hours into the totality zone (close to Lincoln city).   

Apart from the yahoos from Texas playing dance music at 9:30 a.m.*   It was a great experience.

Some lovely driving up and down the Oregon Coast and Cannon Beach is always worth a visit.

A

(* - they were 'encouraged' to turn it down)