How to: Quick and easy (reversible) ANC delete

Back story:

Ok, so I purchased my cmax with the intent on using it to move the family around in a nice quiet environment. It was all fine and dandy with just me in the car but as soon as I had a passenger it would randomly have horrible resonant frequencies that would drive me/us nuts. Well, eventually I figured out this was a known issue that plagues many of these cars, I verified it was indeed the ANC by tapping on the microphone when the annoying note was blaring in the car and it momentarily shut up. My first thought was to find the fuse for it and pull it. Sure enough there is a fuse in the trunk that is labeled ANC in the owners manual. I pulled it and it did absolutely nothing, the active noise cancellation was just as cranky as ever so I started my quest to figure out how to disable it. 

Anyways, I was able to access the ford online database (thank you coworker who shall not be named) and checked out the wiring diagram for all the interior body stuff and figured out where all the microphone leads should go into the big module that controls all the audio integration. Found the plug, unplugged it and went for a spin! No more horrible noise! Completely defeats it with literally no other affected areas.

This procedure is absolutely critical if you ever decide to add a subwoofer onto your stock system as it'll play ANC tones through it at massive volumes if you do not  :lol:

Onward to the actual how to:

Step 1:

Open your passenger door and put the passenger seat all the way back, you will be on the floor under the dash.

post-4594-0-71346800-1496509100_thumb.jpg

Step 2:

Stick your head under the glove box (leave it shut) and notice there is a thin fuzzy panel that is retained by two black clips that go over yellow posts. Remove the clips and pull down on the panel so you can see behind it. You should see a fuse block, some wiring, a floor light, a floor vent, and some various other stuff. 

post-4594-0-49262200-1496509184_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-04174100-1496509285_thumb.jpg

Step 3: 

Locate the gray 6 pin plug that I show in the image, all the primary wire colors are blue or brown as shown. If you need the supplementary wire colors for some reason just ask and I'll catalog them but it's the only plug that has this color combination in this direct area. Unclip it! If you are worried for some reason, you can wrap the end in electrical tape or something but they are heavily recessed and should never have any issues with touching anything. 

post-4594-0-14304000-1496509382_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-15716700-1496509447_thumb.jpg

Step 4:

Put the furry panel back into place and stick the clips back over their posts to hold everything together. You know, the whole reassemble in reverse order thing.

Step 5: 

Enjoy your lack of Skrillex inspired wobwobwob! 

I was unsure as to what section this should go under, there isn't a section for specific how to fix stuff procedures. Mods feel free to move this wherever it needs to go! 

Also for reference this was done on a 2013 C-Max Hybrid SE, as far as I could tell the Energi's and all model years should be wired the same but YMMV as usual with vehicle related stuff. 

Definitely let me know if it was helpful for you!

If anyone else has a request on a how to, I don't mind making them, I pulled the front bumper skin/headlights the other day to inspect some stuff and it wasn't bad. I can also do a basic amp/subwoofer install how to as our vehicles are stupidly simple with the rear battery.

• 2 months later...

I finally made it back here to post my update!

I disconnected my connector earlier this week, took me about 30 seconds.

I've been very happy.  The annoying sounds i used to get are gone, and now i just hear the normal ICE sound that i missed.

Awesommmeeeeeeee! Glad I helped at least one person haha!

Thanks for the great write up with pics - not a problem I have had (that I ever noticed) on out '13 SEL or our '15 SEL, but your documentation is great and appreciated

One of the annoying things i noticed is when i was on the highway with all 4 windows down, radio off, traveling at about 60MPH.  When the ice was off in EV mode, and give it enough throttle quickly to turn on ICE, i would hear this fairly loud base rumble come out of the speakers for about 1 second.

• 10 months later...

Thanks - will try this. My C-Max only makes the noise when outside temp is below 35F. I have long suspected that one of the microphones was wired backwards and instead of canceling noise it is enhanced. My struggles are documented in http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3457-strange-long-wooooo-sound-at-steady-speeds-ice-on/the dealer has worked a couple of microphone related changes to no effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - will try this. My C-Max only makes the noise when outside temp is below 35F. I have long suspected that one of the microphones was wired backwards and instead of canceling noise it is enhanced. My struggles are documented in http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3457-strange-long-wooooo-sound-at-steady-speeds-ice-on/the dealer has worked a couple of microphone related changes to no effect.

I pulled the microphone connector last week. I notice the car is actually quieter with ANC disabled which adds credence to my theory that the ANC is enhancing instead of canceling noise.

• 2 weeks later...

If my car has a problem, my hearing is too bad to notice This is an eerily quiet vehicle! Those who experienced problems, do you all have aftermarket subwoofers? 

I suggest you try it.  I was skeptical also as my hearing isn't what is used to be.  My mics will stay disconnected. No aftermarket stuff.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 1 month later...

This worked for my 2014 C-Max energi! Had a powered rockford fosgate sub/amp professionally installed and the immediate noise stumped the installer. Fosgate support suggested there may be noise cancelling activated. Of course Ford doesn't have a turn off function so your instructions saved the day. Quick and easy unplug and the noises went away. No effect on any other systems or speech through Bluetooth phone. Thank you!!!

• 2 months later...

This worked for my 2014 C-Max energi! Had a powered rockford fosgate sub/amp professionally installed and the immediate noise stumped the installer. Fosgate support suggested there may be noise cancelling activated. Of course Ford doesn't have a turn off function so your instructions saved the day. Quick and easy unplug and the noises went away. No effect on any other systems or speech through Bluetooth phone. Thank you!!!

You are very welcome, glad this is helpful to people!

• 2 years later...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I purchased a used 2013 C-max with the premium audio package and was so worried that the alarmingly loud sound was going to be a big issue that needed servicing. After browsing on forums I had a sneaking suspicion that my problem was in fact the sound was the ANC system. 

Thankfully I found this post, got nice and cozy with my car, pulled the plug and *chefs kiss* 

No more deafening sound, just slightly more noticeable engine noise! YAY! 

I just wish a proper fix for this was implemented. I'd love a functioning ANC system but definitely not dealing with the even occasional deafening drone. Have had mine disconnected for some time now myself.

Now that ForScan offers module firmware updates as a tool, I wonder if the DACMC got any worthy updates over the years to sort this out?

• 3 months later...

So I just want to add my little anecdote here: My 2013 is now getting up on around 82k miles and after my last service and tire rotation (including a recent update to Sync 3, which ultimately I think is unrelated to this given its place, or lack thereof, in the ANC pipeline) I decided to re-enable it as my occasional check to see if it behaves. I will say it seems to have improved significantly to the point I have willingly left it enabled. A number of locations where I've had it reliably act up before have behaved perfectly. I only had it act up once briefly coming back from vacation end of May driving up through WV and across central Ohio. The only time it misbehaved was a very short stretch on I-70 in Ohio and it seemed to be related to a flat stretch that was long enough where maybe it was able to go into negative split mode long enough to trigger it? Unfortunately I didn't get any good data points as it was a sudden and (shockingly) unexpected occurrence. If it happens again, I'm gonna try to track the ICE RPM at minimum.

That said since I know many have probably disabled this already and are probably unfamiliar with it in proper operating mode, having the ANC actually working is quite nice. I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT drop off of noise from the ICE even under increased RPMs/load. I can still hear it, but it definitely is nowhere near as loud as with the ANC disabled. And this is the only thing it appears to affect. I have not noticed any reduction in road noise or other sources.

• 7 months later...

An additional data point to add:

Seems the issue has returned on mine this winter once the temps got colder. It definitely seems like it may be temperature related. When it warms up a bit (gets up between 30-50) it lessens. Down below freezing it occurs more.

I don't believe the official 'workaround' from Ford where they apply adhesive around the microphones above the headliner has been done. I intend to look into this myself this summer when I work on getting my rear dashcam installed and pull the headliner for that.

• 4 weeks later...

This post helped me a lot. I have a new-to-me '17 energi and just experienced the awful hum with my family in the car. My wallet's life flashed before its eyes. Wizzurp that's a genius fix, thanks for the research. On the 17s they have mounted that plug which made it super easy to disconnect.

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2022 at 2:22 PM, cr08 said:

An additional data point to add:

Seems the issue has returned on mine this winter once the temps got colder. It definitely seems like it may be temperature related. When it warms up a bit (gets up between 30-50) it lessens. Down below freezing it occurs more.

I don't believe the official 'workaround' from Ford where they apply adhesive around the microphones above the headliner has been done. I intend to look into this myself this summer when I work on getting my rear dashcam installed and pull the headliner for that.

Just adding one last confirmation on this before I leave this thread alone (until I get the TSB done myself and wait to see if the issue reoccurs) but now that it has gotten into the deep summer months here, the ANC on mine has been absolutely perfect and even seems like the ICE noise is even less now whereas previously I was still able to hear it at a low level with the ANC still active. Definitely seems to be ambient temp related for sure. Now the big question mark is this: Is the main culprit something in the roofline directly affecting the microphones or maybe the ICE behaving differently? Heck, maybe motor mounts (from experience with my old '07 Focus which seemed to go through motor mounts like candy, it definitely had a noticable increase in vibration during the colder months). As noted earlier, I will be trying the 'fix' from Ford's TSB on this issue at some point and will see how that goes.

14-0151.pdf

• 11 months later...

Oh my goodness was this helpful. I couldn't figure it out. I recently got a used 2013 C-Max. Everything was working perfectly, until I had a passenger in the car. Then the weird whine would start when the engine engaged at low speeds. After following the advice in this post and disconnecting the ANC Cable the noise is gone. What a silly thing to be so concerning sounding. Thanks for the fabulous help!