9th time no start....dead battery lemon law?

zone1090

2013 c max se 60000 miles. Friday another dead battery for my wife. Bought a jump pack for my wife 2 months after i bought new car for her because of no start. Dealer can't find problem. Send to tow in next time. Funny when I put jump pack on I hear a click and everything powers up.

I thought there was a ford rep monitoring this site

Need help or new Subaru is coming

Most of the dead battery problems were resolved with various software updates.  Make sure you have all of them installed.

Also, 4 or 5 years on the 12v battery is about par for the course.  See if you can persuade the dealer to replace it since repeated full-discharge events are really hard on the battery.

The last 5 times we just boosted and not charged. I believe I hear a click when I connect jump box. I don't think battery is dead. Last 5 times boosted and done no charge. I think a relay goes to sleep. Been to the dealer several times. Talked to dealer on this failure they called up my records and said I have all updates.

I have had 4 dead battery events.  The first one drained the battery and they did install a new one.  After that I think they modified the software so if the battery gets to a certain low point lots of stuff is turned off.  The next events seemed to me only to require the jumper battery to wake up the computer and the dashlights would go on and it would start right up.

I haven't had an event since the last software update. But I did notice something that had the flavor of the problem.  I opened up the car door and the dashlights did not go on.  On inserting the key everything was fine but the battery did show a low state of charge.  This suggests to me that the problem still may exist, like some rogue subsystem, but they have contained it from spreading.  (or perhaps I will need a new battery soon.)

Hair-pulling problems on this forum with the battery discharge are very very minimal these days since the last software update.

I hope you have a service contract or the problem is still covered since it started when the car was still under warranty.

zone2019, if you want the Ford rep from this site to get involved you need to contact her.  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3310-official-ford-service-rep/

You also may want to just write ford directly.  

Edited by obob

zone2019,  the reason your car won't start is the battery is "dead" (not sufficient energy and voltage available for the modules to operate.  There may be something that is keeping modules that should be "sleeping" awake and draining the battery.  But, when you jump start with the jump box, there is now sufficient voltage and energy for the modules to operate and hence you hear a relay(s) click.  The HighVoltageBattery via the DC/DC converter is now proving power to the 12 V circuits and is charging your 12 V battery.  

The DC/DC converter does exactly what the alternator does when you jump start a non-hybrid vehicle.  The 12 V battery may or may not be able to be charged sufficiently  So, if you have a "good" battery, the battery will be charged up.  If you battery is "weak", there may be times when you car will not start as there is always a load on the battery from modules that always remain awake.

You may have shot yourself in the foot by not taking the car to the dealer each time you had the dead battery.  You need to check your states Lemon Laws as there may be a time or mileage limit on filing a "lemon" claim.     

• 3 weeks later...

The two times my car would not start were because I left the lights on.  When you have a delayed turn off sometimes it is easy to not notice.  I am not saying that is what happened in your case.  It is what happened in mine.

You do get an alert sound.  If you are in a hurry it is easy to ignore.

Edited by Spitinuri

The two times my car would not start were because I left the lights on.  When you have a delayed turn off sometimes it is easy to not notice.  I am not saying that is what happened in your case.  It is what happened in mine.

You do get an alert sound.  If you are in a hurry it is easy to ignore.

I simply leave my lights setting on the last position.  It turns them on and off automatically depending amount of day light and whether the key is turned on (or however the FOB works)

This happen to me recently.  My guess is I was listening to the radio for a while when the car was off and it lowered the battery voltage.

On traditional cars I could listen to the battery for a long time but it seems the newer cars have so much electronics and they put an undersized main/starter battery in it.

Mine has update and turns off most everything in five to ten minutes. Definitely annoying, no batter problems though. :)

Paul

That's my experience also.  But it does seem as though the time-to-turn-off is getting shorter; probably going to need a new 12V battery soon.

• 2 months later...

Here's what happens;

Car is completely dead. Key fob doesn't work. manually unlock car. No start no lights. Hook up jump pack ( more valuable than spare tire) there is a click, go start car up. Starts, immediately shut off

Then try to restart. Starts fine like nothing is wrong. Starting battery is not dead

• 2 months later...

I've had my 2013 SE C-max in the shop Tuesday - Thursday, they started by testing battery (3rd new battery needed)  previous 2 new batteries at about 20 months and 38 months. First replace under warranty, second partial replace. Have had dead battery flatbed tow to dealer 3 times now. I'm the original owner.

dealer mechanic is working with Ford, they're down to the Body Control Module showing a drain that shouldn't be there ...so ford is having them test every electronic component in the car that's controlled by the BCM.  Still no determination as to cause.

I own two 2013 c-max - the other one is an SEL - it hasn't had the battery problem but it had a defective Radio control that wouldn't turn off. They had to replace some other electronic module. Cost us $100 under extended warranty.

I've started researching the lemon law on these cars. My 2013 SE certainly qualifies as a lemon. When I was a kid we called FORD "Fix or repair daily"It seems their electronic component engineers are trying to return to those days.