Check Inverter Controller Fluid

Interesting, I had to add some just recently too - I'm at ~130k miles now.  I had some Ford Orange concentrated antifreeze and mixed it with distilled water.  There were instructions somewhere saying to use the premixed stuff but I didn't have that and my guess is that Ford doesn't want to take a chance on what kind of "water" someone might use.  However, I would not use straight 100% antifreeze.  You can search online for all the reasons.  Seriously, Paul, you might want to get one of those little coolant concentration testers and find out where yours ended up.  If too high, you could pull some out and refill with distilled water.  Just my thought - don't know how critical it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my annual state inspection yesterday, they did one of those "report card" things and marked the coolant as "OK".  So this morning while the engine was cold I went and looked - there's still some coolant in the recovery tank but it's below the MIN mark - I drove for about 20 mins and still shows below MIN by 1/8" so I'm going to go back to the shop and ask them to top it off tonight when I get off work.  I figure they already have the stuff pre-mixed and if you never show them the problem how will they know to look for it in the future.

So this is the Motorcraft Orange Coolant right, same as what is in the engine?

Edited by jestevens

I decided to just order the pre-diluted Orange online and do it at the house, that way I can change it when the engine is cold.  I need to replace the cabin air filter too so it was easier just to order it all off Amazon.  My local auto stores don't stock a cabin air filter for the C-MAX, which is weird - you think they would stock a part that fits a Ford Focus.

I decided to just order the pre-diluted Orange online and do it at the house, that way I can change it when the engine is cold.  I need to replace the cabin air filter too so it was easier just to order it all off Amazon.  My local auto stores don't stock a cabin air filter for the C-MAX, which is weird - you think they would stock a part that fits a Ford Focus.

I don't think this fluid gets hot enough to ever need changing. :)

Paul

• 1 year later...

Does the inverter controller fluid cap just pop off (unlike the regular coolant cap that screws off?)   I'm approaching the 6 year 60K mark on my 2013 C Max and I see in the maintenance instructions that both regular coolant and the inverter coolant should be changed at six years or 100K miles.  I've got another year and a quarter to go on my extended warranty so I don't want to void it.

I checked the regular coolant and it's at minus 45 degrees, good enough even for Portland, Maine, where I now live.

Any advice on whether I should have these coolants flushed and replaced?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

I just had the full-synthetic changed on my 2016 C-Max. They showed me that my inverter coolant was very low, BUT they also said, they could not fill it because it was a pressurized system. If I let the car cool down after use, could I fill it with the over-the-counter anti-freeze I have at home?

I agree I ended up buying the proper spec coolant as listed in the Owner's Manual.  (I also bought mine from a local dealer, although there may be several aftermarket options that list the spec).

About filling yes it is safer to let the car cool down overnight and then fill it to the correct level in the morning.

Bare minimum with the inverter coolant, I'd definitely recommend using the called for Motorcraft in the pre-mixed bottle. Given the smaller passages and much higher reliance on proper cooling here (given the inverter unit is operating all the time while the vehicle is running vs the ICE coolant loop), saving a buck or two on off the shelf generic coolant probably isn't a smart move. The Motorcraft stuff is very affordable.