Key Fob Reprograming

So, it will not unlock / lock doors and not allow starting of vehicle?  Does the other FOB work?  If yes to both, my guess is you have a dead FOB (I assume you checked the new battery is good and inserted correctly) or it needs programmed.  I believe you need a to go to a dealer or I believe that there are "certified shops" that Ford was required to give access to their system for programming FOBs.   

I also changed batteries in my two fobs without problem (there was a good video how to do this on youtube).

I have a couple of questions about the Intelligent Access Key (IAK) and the relationship to 'MyKey': 

Is a 'MyKey' just a IAK fob but with some restrictions or is it an entirely different fob?

To get a MyKey for my daughter, do I have to get another fob and have it programmed for my car and then I can add the restrictions I want?

thanks

Edited by Louder North

It's my understanding that each and every fob has a unique "address".  Thus the car can be programmed to impose certain restrictions based on the fob used.

If I'm right, this means that if you buy a new fob, the car will need to be programmed, or "trained," to recognize the new fob.  I wonder what the max number of fobs is and who does the "training"?  The dealer probably.

I also changed batteries in my two fobs without problem (there was a good video how to do this on youtube).

I have a couple of questions about the Intelligent Access Key (IAK) and the relationship to 'MyKey': 

Is a 'MyKey' just a IAK fob but with some restrictions or is it an entirely different fob?

To get a MyKey for my daughter, do I have to get another fob and have it programmed for my car and then I can add the restrictions I want?

thanks

At dealership yesterday, service manager says make sure not to program your main key to a MyKey as it cannot be reversed.

• 2 years later...

After 5 years, My FOB 1 would not work at all.  I put in a new battery, and when I hold the fob next to the steering wheel, I can start the car.   But it will not lock or unlock the doors.  Any suggestions?  The new battery is rated at 3 volts and reads 3.2 volts on a volt meter.  The old one read 2.7 volts. 

The original FOB2 still works fine.  Any suggestions?

I would double check that the battery is inserted correctly and is making good contact (once you have it assembled try pressing fairly hard on the plastic above where the battery is).

The key is designed to work to start the car even with no battery--that close proximity allows the car to read the key's code passively.

If you can determine the battery is making good contact (be sure to check for any corrosion) then it's possible the fob has some sort of electrical fault. In that case your best bet is to buy a used Cmax key on ebay. You still have to have a dealer program it, but it's several hundred bucks cheaper than buying the key from them.

All of the sudden, with the third CR2032 battery I tried, it started working to lock and unlock the doors with Fob 1.  I did not know about the passive connection, which clarifies that my issue must be totally with the batteries and battery contacts.   Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, leetramp said:

A bit late in the conversation, but when I have replaced the battery I went through some procedure that involved putting the key slightly in a small indent on the right side of the driver's column, then pushing some sequence of keys on it.

I'd sure like to get more detail on this procedure.  I see dozens of dealer websites that talk about how easy it is to reset the key fob if it stops working but without fail, even if the heading of the section says it works for our cars, the first step is to put the key in the ignition and turn it some specific number of times.  OUR CARS DON'T HAVE AN IGNITION SLOT TO PUT THE KEY AND TURN IT.  Sorry for screaming but I've been trying to come to some solution for the better part of my Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 6:46 PM, Redwood Infrared said:

I'd sure like to get more detail on this procedure.  I see dozens of dealer websites that talk about how easy it is to reset the key fob if it stops working but without fail, even if the heading of the section says it works for our cars, the first step is to put the key in the ignition and turn it some specific number of times.  OUR CARS DON'T HAVE AN IGNITION SLOT TO PUT THE KEY AND TURN IT.  Sorry for screaming but I've been trying to come to some solution for the better part of my Sunday.

I totally understand.. I had a 3rd party dealer order and program a 2nd fob for us and it had some Mykey limitations on it despite no Mykeys showing up in the dash settings. Trying to explain to them that the key didn't work led them to sending me "heres how to disable mykey" links that I'd already found on my own and treating me like a dummy.. Ended up going to the garage and they sat outside tapping the remote on the ignition stalk for 30 mins pressing buttons in a random order. Finally learned I need to drop it off again because the key needs to be fully repregrammed with a special tool