Niro vs. Ioniq vs. C-max - Consumer Reports

djc

I think the test cycles are based on how the "normal" driver accelerates, brakes, and so forth.  EPA has made changes to the cycles including adding cycles over time.  If one could show that Hybrid owners drive differently than the non-hybrid owners, perhaps additional cycles could be added just for hybrids.  But IMO, the acceleration at 2 bars is a lot slower than most drive (I even see Prius drivers accelerating quickly). :)

It appears that the fuelly data supports the C-Max, Prius, and Prius V EPA fuel economy numbers. Remember a few years ago when the EPA fined Kia $100 million (iirc) for over reporting their FE numbers.  We'll see if consumers can get the Niro and Ioniq FE they claim.  EPA likely won't change their current methodolgies if the consumers get reasonably close to the EPA ratings especially for hybrids.   

You should watch whether traffic passes you at 2 Bars on city streets up to 55 mph, most people don't for me. :)  The CMAX reaction time off the line is quicker than most ICE cars in EV is instantaneous which  gives you a good start and like I said before 2 Bars is pretty brisk. :)  Interesting that 2017 CMAX Hybrid owners are averaging about 44 mpg. I think they have been watching my YouTube video's. :lol:

Paul

I think the test cycles are based on how the "normal" driver accelerates, brakes, and so forth.  EPA has made changes to the cycles including adding cycles over time.  If one could show that Hybrid owners drive differently than the non-hybrid owners, perhaps additional cycles could be added just for hybrids.  But IMO, the acceleration at 2 bars is a lot slower than most drive (I even see Prius drivers accelerating quickly). :)

It appears that the fuelly data supports the C-Max, Prius, and Prius V EPA fuel economy numbers. Remember a few years ago when the EPA fined Kia $100 million (iirc) for over reporting their FE numbers.  We'll see if consumers can get the Niro and Ioniq FE they claim.  EPA likely won't change their current methodolgies if the consumers get reasonably close to the EPA ratings especially for hybrids.   

What I saw of the Ioniq and Niro on Fuelly, before their database search became messed up, is that both cars seemed to be getting their EPA fuel economy numbers. 

I saw that too, but it was a just a few NIRO's and to make matters more confusing the small tires vs Big tires. :headscratch:  Interesting the 2017 CMAX Hybrid with only 6 are averaging 44 mpg doing much better than EPA. Makes me wonder if FORD figured out something. :headscratch:   When I did my Test drive in 2017 Titanium I got 46 mpg in the rain so should have gotten probably 48 mpg and then -1.5 mpg for Smart Gauge being off =46.5 mpg. Right up there with NIRO. :)

Paul