Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Smartkey Keyless Entry, Doors Didn't Unlock.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

Had a little scare yesterday.  I was parked at hotel parking lot overnight and as I went to put bags in the back of the car, the liftgate wouldn't open.  Went around to the back door and grabbed the handle, it wouldn't unlock.  Grabbed the front handle, it wouldn't unlock.  I thought for a minute the 12V battery was dead.  I was fumbling around with the smartkey because I couldn't remember how to get the actual key out of the FOB.  After another minute I grabbed the handle and the door unlocked.

I immediately checked the headlights, etc. to see if I had left anything on and no.  The car started right up and it worked fine thereafter.  I guess the car must've been in some sort of deep sleep or something was interfering with the FOB signal.  No indication that the FOB battery was low.

Is there a key in the FOB, and if so how do you get to it.  I see that there are some indentations on the side..

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

I saw a post on another forum that shows how the blade is stored under the back cover of the FOB, you just squeeze the two tabs and pull up on the Ford logo.

• ptjones, obob and kyledamron like this

#3 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

• ptjones and jestevens like this

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,609 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

A key fob for a non auto start CMAX is a little different, to release the FORD cover on side you push in on either side  at the top of fob. This lifts up the cover and you can use a finger nail to lift cover off. This exposes the key. :)

Paul

• jestevens and kyledamron like this

#5 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

A key fob for a non auto start CMAX is a little different, to release the FORD cover on side you push in on either side  at the top of fob. This lifts up the cover and you can use a finger nail to lift cover off. This exposes the key. :)

Paul

... and there is a corresponding slot in the key cavity to fit the tab at the end of the 'key' so that you can actually turn it.

• ptjones likes this

#6 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

The battery on your FOB is probably on its last leg.  I had similar problems recently.  I replaced the FOB battery and all is well.

• jestevens likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:19 AM

I had a similar problem - I was freaked out that my 12v battery had decided to die in middle-of-nowhere Idaho, or at least didn't have enough power at 41º to maintain its key fob sensors. But opening it with the manual key, everything turned on and it started right up. So I'm guessing it was actually the fob's battery that lost too much power to work at 41º - it's running 2.8v open-circuit voltage now, which is on the low side considering that under load it should hit that voltage at 60% discharged. 

#8 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

Yes, I think I have some spare coin cell batteries, I'm going to change the FOB battery soon.

#9 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

Works better now, just push a small flat blade screwdriver under the squeezy side clips of the FOB and wiggle gently to separate the top and bottom clips/halves, put replacement battery 2032 in writing side down.  There was an admonition on the video I was watching not to let the screwdriver forcefully slip into the key cavity and break off some of the components on the circuit board or else you'd be buying a new key.

#10 OFFLINE   Telesrjyje

Telesrjyje

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:South America
  • LocationSofia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2019
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Trans Am

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

I dont know why but I cant unlock or lock the car using the door handle when its around 25F outside. But, it works at 0F ... anyway, does anyone has the same problem ? and just to be sure I didnt wear gloves or anything.

#11 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

I've never had a problem due to temperature and we've had a handful of days down to 0F last winter.  I have had where it didn't read the ground loop until I'd put my hand all the way around the handle (instead of just touching the front) in order to unlock.  I've also had where it didn't seem to notice until I pulled on the handle and tried it again.. 

Prius used to have a button under the steering column to turn off the smart key radio if you went away from the car for a long time (couple of weeks at airport, etc.) so the 12V wouldn't be drained.  Maybe Ford does something better to put the car into deep sleep - pulling on the handle to wake it up would be a nice compromise but I'm just guessing..

Edited by jestevens, 26 September 2017 - 06:14 AM.

• obob likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Hippie'sMom

Hippie'sMom

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

I had the cat complaining LOUDLY in a carrier to go to the vet's and the passenger side wouldn't open.  It was mid 40s and raining.  Went to the driver's side--still a brick.  Purse is in the car too, so cat and I go grab a checkbook and keys to the back up PT and we're off to the vet.  Where I have a flat tire.  Life's Rich Pageant.

When I caught a ride home with still complaining cat, I got the key out of the fob and opened the car--the instant I put the key in, lights came on, so no 12 volt problem.  I'm going to replace the fob battery, it has got to be time, and hope that it is happy trails.  That is if it actually runs.  I was able to "bark" the horn with the fob numerous times since the big break in with the mechanical key.  I'll post to see if I have a cure.

• ptjones likes this

#13 OFFLINE   Hippie'sMom

Hippie'sMom

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

Well it is acting perfect today.  Hmmm....

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·