Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How long did your original C-max battery last?

battery poll

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: How long did your original C-max battery last? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

How long in years did your original C-max 12 v battery last?

1. 1 year (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 years (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 years (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. 4 years (7 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

5. 5 years (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

6. Still using original 12 v battery (23 votes [63.89%])

Percentage of vote: 63.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 499 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Glad you got it running.  The C-max is kind of low to the ground are there lots of places

you can go in Houston that aren't flooded? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 632 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

Glad you got it running.  The C-max is kind of low to the ground are there lots of places

you can go in Houston that aren't flooded? 

I haven't tried to go terribly far (a couple of miles) but I'm in an area that, luckily, had minimal flooding. But definitely many of the freeways are flooded, and it is virtually impossible to make it across the city in a C-Max (or any car).

#43 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 895 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

More battery data.  Just finished another 5 hour trip with car on the whole time.  Checked the values and got:

I=0.25 A,   SOC=72%,  T=82F,  BAT_V_DSB=14.40   V=14.38 (front posts car ON), V=12.39 (front posts car OFF)

Ambient temp on dash was 62F.  So, compared to last run battery is 11F cooler, volts 0.2 higher and SOC 12% less.  I wonder if the SOC number is really all that accurate.

#44 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I thought my battery had died this morning. Keep in mind I am in Houston and this all occurred in the rain. I went out to my car, put my hand on the handle and nothing happened. I pulled my key fob out and pressed the button, still nothing. At this point, I'm thinking the battery is dead. I pull out the physical key but can't get it to turn enough to unlock the car -- it is hard to get leverage on that short key head. I'm guessing it needs some WD-40.

I go back inside and grab the other key fob, thinking maybe the physical key in this fob will work better in the lock. I go out, and the car opens right up. Apparently between last night and this morning the battery in my key fob died. Annoying, but very glad I don't need to replace a battery when there is very little open, not to mention not having mail or other types of delivery.

I've had a similar experience and also wondered about 12V health.  I think I'll have the 12V battery replaced before winter sets in.

Also, fwiw, I think there's an illustration in the owners manual that show how to use the fob as a handle for the physical key and thus gain some leverage.  But point taken re WD-40;  I'll oil the locks soon.  A dead battery would be bad enough without the added grief of a key broken off in the lock.

Hope you and yours stay dry and safe.

• ptjones likes this

#45 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

I've had a similar experience and also wondered about 12V health.  I think I'll have the 12V battery replaced before winter sets in.

Also, fwiw, I think there's an illustration in the owners manual that show how to use the fob as a handle for the physical key and thus gain some leverage.  But point taken re WD-40;  I'll oil the locks soon.  A dead battery would be bad enough without the added grief of a key broken off in the lock.

Hope you and yours stay dry and safe.

When you remove the key from it's hiding place in the fob, there is a little slot in the fob cavity that fits the tab at the end of the physical key - you can use that to make it easier to turn the key.

• ptjones and Noah Harbinger like this

#46 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

More battery data.  Just finished another 5 hour trip with car on the whole time.  Checked the values and got:

I=0.25 A,   SOC=72%,  T=82F,  BAT_V_DSB=14.40   V=14.38 (front posts car ON), V=12.39 (front posts car OFF)

Ambient temp on dash was 62F.  So, compared to last run battery is 11F cooler, volts 0.2 higher and SOC 12% less.  I wonder if the SOC number is really all that accurate.

For comparison: SOC = 92%, I = 0.12 A,  V_DSB = 14.4V, V at BCM = 14.35 (car on),  V at BCM = 12.90 V (car off). What was your SOC when starting trip? And it only took 3 days of driving: 1916 miles 28 hours and 16 minutes to reach 92% from a starting SOC of 3%.   :)

IMO, the algorithm is acting like a 3 stage battery charger (initial faster charging state, slow charge state, and float charge state).  For the first 4 hours of operations, current averaged around 0.75 A and SOC went from 3% to about 50%.  During the next 8 hours, current averaged about 0.5 A and SOC went up to 80%.  During the last 16 hours , current averaged about 0.19 A and state of charge ended at 92 %.  From about 88% SOC, current was running about 0.12 A with 0.06 showing up sometimes.  There was no abrupt change in current just a slow drop - slower charge rate as SOC increased.

This still begs  the question though.  What does age of battery have to do with the charging scheme if anything?  After 3 days of many short trips (2-4 miles each), the SOC is now at 32% and falling.  It appears to me that the algorithm is not adequately applying a proper charging scheme.  It's as if the algorithm believes the battery capacity is less than it actually is and hence reduces charging currently too quickly.  IMO, this could happen if the age of the battery was not reset.

"coulomb counting works well, especially with Li-ion that offer high coulombinc efficiency and low self-discharge. Improvements have been made by also taking aging and temperature-based self-discharge into consideration but periodic calibration is still recommended to bring the “digital battery” in harmony with the “chemical battery." - Batttery University

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 09 September 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

That sounds like a normal battery charging scheme where its charged and just takes less current as the battery gets fully charged.

Perhaps the battery age tracking in the car is just for discharge time with the car turned off.

#48 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 895 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

... What was your SOC when starting trip?

Sorry, didn't check SOC at beginning of trip.

#49 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

I talked to my dealer and they didn't know thing about resetting the battery module. He suggested disconnecting the battery and see what happens. :headscratch: Maybe it will think it has a new battery.

Paul 

• obob likes this

#50 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,019 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

I just found this in the 2014 Service Manual with respect to the System off to Save Battery message while browsing for something else:

"The BCM uses the battery current sensor to monitor the battery state of charge. The battery current sensor is attached to the battery ground cable. With the vehicle OFF and the ignition in ACC or ON, a load shed message is sent over the CAN when the BCM determines that the battery state of charge is below 40%, 45 minutes have elapsed, or 10% of the charge has been drained. This message turns off the audio system to save the remaining battery charge. Under this condition, SYS OFF TO SAVE BATT is displayed on the centerstack infotainment display to notify the driver that battery protection actions are active. To clear the load shed state, start the vehicle." 

This may be why I would get the message within a few minute or so a lot of the time since my SOC was usually well under 40% with many short trips over a week or so.  I just checked and my SOC is just under 38% with car turned off but radio system still on.  The message appreared after about 2 1/2 minutes and the audio shut off. There's likely a time delay before the message is sent for the under 40% criterion.  It's also possible that Ford may have changed the criteria for when to shut down to save the battery in later MY cars.  In any event, one might want to make sure that the dealer does the battery reset when installing a new battery as the SOC will likely not be correct for the new battery unless the reset is performed.

I will do some more monitoring especially when the SOC is higher than 40%. 

#51 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Time to time the time-out, it appears. Still on the original battery here, and trip length is way down so perhaps I'll see an effect. 

Frank

#52 OFFLINE   Chuckles37

Chuckles37

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:Candy Blue CMax SEL

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

After reading all the discussions on the 12V battery, I decided at the 59 month point to change it out today.  The old one tested fine, but for peace of mind, It is gone.  Oh by the way, you got to read the $99 coupon closely.  The one I had was for the PLUS battery and all they had in stock was the MAX battery, so it did not apply.   

#53 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

Just replaced the battery on our 2013 C Max SEL on the weekend (needed a boost to get it started). It was still the original; we have 45,000 km on the car.

Replacement was the BXT 67R ($170 CAN) at the local Ford dealer.

#54 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

Time to time the time-out, it appears. Still on the original battery here, and trip length is way down so perhaps I'll see an effect. 

Frank

I'm in the 2.5 minute bunch, albeit with an original battery in a max-life part of the country. Considering alternatives to battery replacement...

Frank

#55 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 437 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

I'm at 38 months and counting.
  • ptjones likes this

#56 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 205 posts
  • Locationvirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Update:  I bought a new 12v battery in Jan 2017 (decided to be proactive and replace the 4 year old battery before it died by itself).  Came out this morning and the car was dead electrically.  I used my lithium battery starter I got from Costco.  Car immediately started and ran for almost 10 minutes before the engine shut down.  Drove around the neighborhood.  Everything seems to work OK.  I had to reset "my view" menu.   Will need to see if it starts tomorrow. 

Car is garaged and although the temps have been in the teens, the garage doesn't get below 35 degrees.  If battery fails again, I'll return to Ford for a replacement.

• ptjones and obob like this

#57 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

I think its more likely that something in the car discharged the battery than the battery being bad.

• ptjones, SnowStorm and obob like this

#58 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 205 posts
  • Locationvirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

UPDATE 2:  It's been about 2 weeks since I had to jump start the car.  Car has started up with no problems.  We've driven and parked the car when we've had temperatures in the single digits and it still starts OK.  I have to assume that the battery is OK.  Weird behavior.

• ptjones and obob like this

#59 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

I'm going to Ford Service this afternoon to replace mine.  In the cold weather I had to use the emergency key 3 times to unlock the door.  I think maybe I just wasn't making a good ground connection since I was wearing thick soled hikers on snow when I tried to open the door but it's time - the battery is the original battery from the factory and the car was built May 2012 according to the VIN check.  I suspect I need the Motorcraft "MAX" battery which is on special for $129, not the other one for $99.

#60 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Does your key fob have a fresh battery?

I tried getting the $99 battery but they said it didn't exist even though the ad stated C-max in the fine print.

You can also ask them to connect a charger to the battery posts under the hood so you don't lose any stored data.

Also make sure they reset the battery management system.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·