Help, car won't start

Sonya

I just bought a new-to-me 2013 C-Max. (I traded in my 2000 Dodge Dakota, so this is a big switch for me.) I charged up my car last night and took it to work this morning. No problems or issues in the morning. I left work, walked to my car, and the car wouldn't start at all. It was dead-dead. I had to have someone "jump" me to get it going. 

Is the engine battery bad?

Do I need to keep it charging while I'm at work?

Should I call the dealer?

Other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sonya, welcome.

A couple of things:

1) Did you but it from a Ford dealer?

2) Did you leave anything on like the lights or anything plugges into the 12 Volt outlet?

3) If the 12 V battery is original,  it could need replaced as it is likely approaching 5 years old.  

4) 2013 MY did have 12 V issues.   There is a TSB to "fix" the potential causes.  You need to make sure your car is up to date with respect to recalls and customer satisfaction programs.

Thank you for the welcome and for helping me. My answers to your questions will be in bold:

1) Did you but it from a Ford dealer? No, it was from a dealer but not a Ford dealer.

2) Did you leave anything on like the lights or anything plugges into the 12 Volt outlet? To my knowledge, no, nothing was left on.

3) If the 12 V battery is original,  it could need replaced as it is likely approaching 5 years old.  Thank you. Maybe I need to go to my local Ford dealer to have that checked out.

4) 2013 MY did have 12 V issues.   There is a TSB to "fix" the potential causes.  You need to make sure your car is up to date with respect to recalls and customer satisfaction programs. Thanks for the info. Sounds to me like I need to make an appointment with my Ford dealer.

Do you have an Energi?  If not, you likely have had 15B04 done since it is not shown etis. https://ford.oemdtc.com/1696/15b04-12-volt-battery-test-and-module-software-update-2013-2014-ford-c-max.

I think Ford dealers will check battery for free.  They usually have coupon specials on price and free battery check.  At the same time they should check to see if all recalls and CSPs were done.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

AutoZone and O'Reilly said that they can't check batteries in electric cars. My local Ford dealer doesn't do it for free. I called the dealer where I got it from and I'm taking it back to them on Saturday. It wouldn't start again after work. When I got it "jumped" and started, the EV indicator said that there was still charge. I really do not understand what is going on with this car.

Sonya, you have two batteries in your car.  There is the normal 12 volt battery like in all non - hybrid cars.  There is also the high voltage battery (HVB) used for electric operation.  The charge you are looking at on the dash battery symbol is the HVB charge.  The 12 V battery is required to start the car so that the HBV can be connected to the HV electronics.

What happens when you push the start button or turn the key is that the electronic modules (which all use the 12 Volt battery for their power) are activated and allow the car to start.  If the 12 V battery is failing, the electronic modules may not have enough voltage to operate and nothing happens.

Do you have a volt meter to measure your battery voltage?  if you do, you can open the hood and look for the positive post (has red cap on it) and a negative uncoverd metal post sticking up near the positive post which are both located to the driver's side about half way back.  Measure the voltage when it won't start.  It's likely too low for the car to start.  The question though: is it a failing battery (very likely) or is something, like a module not turning off, draining the 12V battery when the car is off (unlikely).

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

While the gist of Plus 3 Golfer's note is correct, technically the high voltage battery does start the car.  But a good 12V battery is needed for that to occur.  

That isn't my understanding, though perhaps I'm missing something. My understanding is that the 12V battery turns on the cars computers, which in turn wake the other systems. Also, the HVB is electronically disconnected when the car is turned off; so the HVB is one of the systems woken up. Now I can accept that some sub-systems that turn on, when the car is started, are powered by the HVB but that they aren't technically part of the start up -- instead it tends to be things like the Climate Control system, or at least the A/C, which is powered by the HVB; but almost all other systems are powered by the 12V battery.

Now, obviously, powering the car (either with the electric motor or starting the ICE) are accomplished with the HVB -- but that only happens after the car is turned on.

That isn't my understanding, though perhaps I'm missing something. My understanding is that the 12V battery turns on the cars computers, which in turn wake the other systems. Also, the HVB is electronically disconnected when the car is turned off; so the HVB is one of the systems woken up. Now I can accept that some sub-systems that turn on, when the car is started, are powered by the HVB but that they aren't technically part of the start up -- instead it tends to be things like the Climate Control system, or at least the A/C, which is powered by the HVB; but almost all other systems are powered by the 12V battery.

Now, obviously, powering the car (either with the electric motor or starting the ICE) are accomplished with the HVB -- but that only happens after the car is turned on.

I agree with you.  I think Bill-N is simply looking at where the power originates from to turn ICE so it fires up.  Also, Sonya clearly believed that since the Energi showed a full charge the car should start.  But the starting process begins with the pushbutton and a "good" 12V battery.  Anyways, I changed my previous post for clarity.  

Semantics - start = a beginning of an action. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I agree with you.  I think Bill-N is simply looking at where the power originates from to turn ICE so it fires up.  Also, Sonya clearly believed that since the Energi showed a full charge the car should start.  But the starting process begins with the pushbutton and a "good" 12V battery.  Anyways, I changed my previous post for clarity.  

Semantics - start = a beginning of an action. 

I'll admit, it is an adjustment with a hybrid. On a traditional car, the engine needs to be running for the car to be on. With a hybrid, the car is on once all the electronics are powered. You don't need an engine/motor to be "running" for the hybrid to be on and idling, and that just doesn't make sense to some people.

While the gist of Plus 3 Golfer's note is correct, technically the high voltage battery does start the car.  But a good 12V battery is needed for that to occur.  

I should have said "start the engine."  "Start the car" really doesn't quit fit any more.

Cheers.

I should have said "start the engine."  "Start the car" really doesn't quit fit any more.

Cheers.

LOL. Yes, you are right: "start" (without further explanation) doesn't fit our cars especially for new C-Max owners.  I think most of our regular forum members understand how our C-Max works with respect to "starting" and knows what others mean when they are posting about "starting" the C-Max based on the context of the thread / post.   

But technically, for our cars "start" means getting the green "ready to drive" message.  Our car is "started" if we see this message.  Otherwise, our car is not "started".  "Starting" (shown below) from the Owner's Manual is what we need to point all new owner's to read as a primer when discussing a "no start" condition.  Did they get the "ready to drive" message. :)

post-167-0-12031100-1507489528_thumb.jpg