Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Windshield Washer Capacity

washer capacities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kylemw

kylemw

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationCreston
  • My C-MAX's Year:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2003 Ford Ranger XLT

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, will a 2017 C-Max Hybrid take a full jug of windshield washer fluid?

I've driven Fords, cars & trucks, of various sizes and ages and yet none of them would take a full jug (1 USgal/3.78L) of windshield washer fluid from empty.  I'm just wondering if the C-Max is any different!

Thanks in advance!

Should be picking up my new C-Max on the 26th of this month.  Looking forward to it!

Kyle

:)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

Just out of curiosity, will a 2017 C-Max Hybrid take a full jug of windshield washer fluid?

I've driven Fords, cars & trucks, of various sizes and ages and yet none of them would take a full jug (1 USgal/3.78L) of windshield washer fluid from empty.  I'm just wondering if the C-Max is any different!

Thanks in advance!

Should be picking up my new C-Max on the 26th of this month.  Looking forward to it!

Kyle

My recollection is that it will take about 3/4 of a gallon jug of windshield washer, maybe a bit more. I had my windshield washer reservoir empty and it did not take an entire jug.

Edited by raadsel, 14 October 2017 - 04:29 AM.

• obob and kylemw like this

#3 OFFLINE   Zathrus

Zathrus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 89 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Also be advised there is no low windshield washer fluid dashboard alert.

It is one of the features I wish Ford had included, especially since almost all vehicles now offer this as a standard feature.

(Disclaimer: I have a 2013 CMax SE, so not sure if this feature was added on later models.)

• obob and kylemw like this

#4 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

The "sensor" is that the back pump inlet is higher in the tank than the front, and so stops working to give you a warning before leaving you with an opaque windshield.  That's common in other cars I've owned.

• kylemw likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

The "sensor" is that the back pump inlet is higher in the tank than the front, and so stops working to give you a warning before leaving you with an opaque windshield.  That's common in other cars I've owned.

Do you have a source for this? NBC? :)  I think you are correct on the actions of the rear and front washer but for the wrong reason.

There is one pickup tube in the washer tank feeding a bi-directional pump controlled by the BCM.  However, there is a level sensor.  My guess is that when the level triggers the sensor, the BCM may not activate the rear washer but only the front washer.  I seem to recall a few years ago, my rear washer didn't work but the front did.  I thought the rear might be clogged / line leaking, then checked the service manual, added fluid, began troubleshooting, and then the rear srarted working.  I'm trying to remember whether I ever got a low washer reservoir message.

Anyone ever get a low washer message?

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 15 October 2017 - 07:51 PM.

• kylemw likes this

#6 OFFLINE   stolenmoment

stolenmoment

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationBoston
  • Current Vehicle:Maxwell Smart

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yikes, a much more complicated implementation than I expected; cheaper to manufacture than two pumps, perhaps?  Now, I'm trying to remember if I could hear the pump going when the rear washer got no water...

• kylemw likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,982 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Yikes, a much more complicated implementation than I expected; cheaper to manufacture than two pumps, perhaps?  Now, I'm trying to remember if I could hear the pump going when the rear washer got no water...

When my rear washer wasn't working, my first thought was plugged nozzle, leaking connection, and last a bad rear pump.  Then when I looked at the manual, I was surprised to see only one pump.  I recall filling the reservoir up because I couldn't see any fluid not because I thought the level was low as the front washer worked. I never suspected my fluid was too low for the rear  to work.  I then started looking for obvious fluid leaks. I don't recall how many times I operated the rear looking for the leaks but then fluid starting flowing out the rear. I assume that the long rear line was empty and took many activations to fill the line.

After reading your post, I looked at the complete operation of the washers in the manual and looked at parts diagrams and noted the reservoir had a level sensor.  Hence, it makes sense that when the sensor triggers a low level, the BCM likely stops activation of the rear washer to save fluid for the front.  Now, I also wonder if the sensor is more than a simple float switch.  

• kylemw likes this

#8 OFFLINE   chad

chad

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-MAX SEL

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

My 2013 C-Max takes an entire gallon of washer fluid when empty. My previous car, a Honda, never took a full jug, so it was quite the delight when I first witnessed the capacity of the reservoir.

• kylemw likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·