Heated seats too hot?

jhritz

Any heated seat is too hot for a man, and not hot enough for a woman.

My wife will turn on heated seats when it is 70 degrees outside, while I am constantly thinking they are on and checking the switch to make sure they're off...

I think Jeff Foxworthy did a bit about this in his early "still funny" days...

I will agree with the OP and say that they seem to be warmer than the prior heated seats that I have had in the past.  I don't find that to be a bad thing though.  If it's cool outside, I put it on 1 and allow it to warm up.  Once I am warm, I turn it off and everything is good.  I will also agree with the others and say that my wife keeps her side on 3.  I think 5 would be too warm for either one of us, unless it was extremely cold outside.

Side Note - I have read posts about turning the climate control off on cold starts to save fuel from the warming process.  I think having a warmer than usual heated seat should really help with the comfort in this case.  Once it does get cold here, I plan to put the seat on 2, turn the climate control off, and see if there is any difference in the warm up process and fuel usage.

This is my first car with heated seats and I also found the them to be very hot.  Anything more than a 2 and my butt is on fire!

When I do use it, and that is not often, I usually set it to 1 and then at 1/2 once it gets up to temp.  Not sure if 1/2 is even doing anything but even 1 is too much after it's up to heat.

I recently had my son's girlfriend in the car and she loved the heated seats and she had it cranked up to 5!  I felt the heat from the drivers seat and everyone in the back seat (2 Woman and one man) were complaining about how hot the car was!

The few times I have used it I thought it would be better if the heat was up the (lower) back as well, to warm up the kidney area.

Jay

The seat heaters in my cloth-upholstered SE are way too hot. At first I thought maybe they were wired backward so setting 1 was hottest and 5 was coolest, but no. Even on 1 after about 30 seconds I have to shut it off.

And I agree that it seems odd that only the bottom cushions are heated. The last 4 cars I've had with heated seats all had heaters in the seatbacks as well.

It might be just me, but even setting '1' seems way hot on my heated seats.  I have cloth seats, so perhaps they are using the same temperature ranges for both leather and cloth.

Any similar reports?

I agree, anything higher than 1 is too hot, I have a ford truck and the heated seats are just perfect on it, But the C-Max will burn you up. LOL

Edited by bkawaii7

The SEL version has heated seat backs as well as seat cushions.  What's odd I feel the heat sooner, and much warmer, on my back than through the bottom seat cushion.  The seat back heater must be a real scorcher as I'm wearing a jacket if its cold enough to turn on the heated seats.

Ditto on the heated seat backs.  On my SEL they are definitely heated.

In my opinion, I'd rather have too much heat than too little, as long as it can be turned down.  I used to always get Chrysler Minivans as company cars so got a new one every two years.  I remember one which had really good heated seats.  The next one was barely warm and after my complaining the dealer said there had been a problem with seat fires and Chrysler subsequently reduced the heat level.  He replaced my seats anyway, but it didn't help. 

OK, after all of the reports of heated seat backs and bottoms, I did an experiment (SCIENCE!). I ran the passenger side heater for a few minutes on 3, the felt it with my hand. Seat back heat is confirmed. Curious as to why I didn't detect it on the driver's side, I switched on the driver's heater while driving without a jacket on. Again, seat back heat is confirmed. Theory: With a jacket on, the seat back heat was so slow to reach me and the bottom heat was so intense that I shut if off before it could reach any sort of equilibrium. I'll just have to endure the burning pants torture a little while longer if I want to enjoy any warmth on my back. First world problems...

• 1 year later...

They're far too hot.  Like in my now-departed Audi, "1" should be a gentle heat that you can have on all the time.  I am scared to even try 3 or higher on my C-max.

If anyone knows how to turn 'em down, we'd love to hear about it.  A resistor in the main 12v line?   Has anyone asked the dealer about this?

Perhaps we can hear from some longer-term owners?

My perception, purely seat-of-the-pants, is that my seat heater has lost some oomph. In the Fall, 1 was more than enough, almost too much. Now, I don't notice 1 getting warm, it needs to be 3 to get as warm as I recall 1 in the Fall.

Anyone see this?

Frank

My perception, purely seat-of-the-pants, is that my seat heater has lost some oomph. In the Fall, 1 was more than enough, almost too much. Now, I don't notice 1 getting warm, it needs to be 3 to get as warm as I recall 1 in the Fall.

Anyone see this?

Frank

After a year I still feel heat on 1, but it doesn't seem unbearably hot like it did a year ago when the car was new.  I haven't measured it with a thermometer, so maybe I'm just getting more desensitized to it.

Well, I just noticed that I've had my seat set on 2 since ???, and where 1 was noticably warm at one time, 2 is now eminently comfortable. I know it's an organic sensor, but the difference between uncomfortably hot and didn't notice it was very warm isn't debatable. Mine have lost power they once had at 1; can't speak for 5...

Frank

Interesting theory you bring up.  When I first got my Cmax in January 2013, the car on #1 was fine...I notice that this winter I have had it up to 3 a few times.  But, we have had a significantly colder/damper winter than we did last year, and I don't think I'm running the heater as much.