Adding a second Cmax. Weighing my options

NedBCNY

Hi folks, Ned here from Syracuse. I was having problems logging in over at the Energi forums so I decided to visit here. I have a 2013 Energi, great car, wife has claimed it for her own. My son had a minor fender bender in our FEH and it wound up totalled.

I’ve decided to buy another Cmax , and I’ve narrowed my list to two 2013 hybrids and a 2013 Energi. One hybrid has decent miles and is a Fully Loaded ice Storm SE... another is also an ice Storm SE with pretty basic options. I’d Love the fancier of the two, except for the price.

The Energi has higher miles, but is priced between the two. Since it is an Energi it already has everything my current one has plus NAV . I’m going to drive that plus the Loaded SE and see which I like better. The real test is this $3000 delta in price for 50,000 miles difference between the two cars. Plus hybrid vs Energi.

I’ll let y’all know what I decide.

In the older cars, I'd always go for lower mileage, unless there's documentation the tranny's been properly fixed. Our 2013'ers are "special."

Frank

You bring up a good point - I don't think the Energi is affected/afflicted with the trans issue, as it has an auxiliary fluid pump...or am I wrong?

We had a '13 SEL, it was totaled, we replaced it with an identically equipped '15, it seems like they addressed some first year car issues in the later years, so personally, I would stay away from any '13 if I were looking to buy used.  I think the SEL (and the NRG?) dodges some issue the SEs had, so in my case, I would also avoid an SE

You bring up a good point - I don't think the Energi is affected/afflicted with the trans issue, as it has an auxiliary fluid pump...or am I wrong?

We had a '13 SEL, it was totaled, we replaced it with an identically equipped '15, it seems like they addressed some first year car issues in the later years, so personally, I would stay away from any '13 if I were looking to buy used.  I think the SEL (and the NRG?) dodges some issue the SEs had, so in my case, I would also avoid an SE

No. Look at the thread on the transmission failures listed on 1st page. There may be proportionate to sales as many Energis fail as Hybrids.  This was discussed in another thread and the bearing failure doesn't appear to be related to TFT.