wrecked cmax

Marc Smith

Bummer 57K miles

guy turned left in front of me from a stop sign and cut the corner and bam

I was through traffic with no stop signs.

and then the tow truck driver really cinched it down tight.  to be honest looks pretty good with the wheels tucked under the fenders.

not keen on the rear bumper cover trying to pull away from the 1/4 panel though...

IMG 4487

IMG 4486

IMG 4485

tough one. very minor damage to the acura MDX...  no air bags deployed.  just the perfect angle shot, a glancing blow.  twilight, raining hard....

it will be interesting to see what happens.  2013's are going for a little over 10K right now so it may not take much damage to put it over the top.

i worry about the transmission.  i'm sure getting the half shaft pulled out while the car is moving isn't good...  among other things...  i figure my basic power train warranty was almost up any how...

Well, the body shop is up to $5000 as of 3pm. And they have not been able to put it on a lift yet... usaa says that they usually try to get to 70 percent before they total.

Started looking for a replacement vehicle. Found a 2009 Camry hybrid that was purchased for the university president where I work. Only 50k miles only $6000. Well below market value....would be a quick and dirty replacement to allow me time to search and not be under duress.

Paul,

I hate buying a car under duress.  Which if my car gets totaled, I'll have 5 days to make a deal a happen.  I bought the ford that way.  and was happy.  but it only had 10-11K miles on it.  fairly stress free purchase for a like new car..

buying another 2013 would require some research since they vehicles are now older, more miles, ect. ect....and I would even consider an energi

so I could buy the camry hyrbid for 6300 from the university where I work.  and then use it while I do my research and then be able to trade the camry in and make a few bucks on it as well.

The other reason.  I promised my wife a few weeks ago that is her turn for a "new" car.  her 2008 saturn vue green line is getting tired, and with the HOV exemption on hybrids expiring in our area, she doesn't need a hybrid anymore.  so she may look for something else.  so Id rather take the money from my accident and put towards a newer car for her.

I could see myself getting another c-max very easily...I like it....

Spoke to the body shop a few minutes ago,  they are only up to $5500.  but they have not really studied the engine cradle.  which would probably be the go/no go from a totaled vehicle point of view...  Body shop also thinks that it would only be a 15-18 day job...

in VA the total loss threshhold is 75%  and I'm pretty sure USAA stays pretty close to that.  Not sure if State Farm would be any different, so I might give them a call and see.  Rigth now I'm running the claim through my own insurance let them subrugate,   but maybe I could push state farm to a total loss,  since once they pay for damages, and rentals, and then diminshed value,  it might be the smart choice to just total the car.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear of your crash. I own a 2016 SEL now because of a crash. Last yr. my Honda Fit

was totaled by a semi and I ended up with the Cmax to replace it. Very happy with that aspect of it

but very unhappy it happened that way.

If you replace your Cmax, try hard to get later model >2015. Nicer!

Good Luck

well got the car back. YAY  so nice to be driving a decent car again.

so far only one mistake but it was an easy fix.  they put the windshield wipers back on the wrong way. IE they put the drivers side on the passenger side.   the wipers did not like it.  thankfully I'm a big fan of rain ex, so it wasn't a bad drive back down to the shop to have them swap them over.

waiting for a nice sunny day to really go over everything.  but the cursory glances look great.  All the gaps in panels are consistent.  the car drives as it did a month ago..no pulling no funny noises, ect..