Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Automatic liftgate keeps opening lower

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this issue, or knows of a simple fix. When I select to open my liftgate, it tends to open a little lower than I want it, where it would be easy for me to bang my head on the latch hanging down off the back of the liftgate. I'll set it in the way I remember the manual saying to do it (push the liftgate to the desired height and then hold the liftgate button until it beeps) and sometimes it will even open to the correct height the next couple of times. However, just as open, the next time I open the liftgate, it will open lower than I set. Worse, each successive time that I open the liftgate, it again opens lower -- or, it will actually open all the way and then slowly lower down, until it is lower than the last time it opened. Once it starts going to low, again, I will try to reset the liftgate height.

Has anyone else had this issue and what is the fix? Is there some trick to getting the liftgate height to permanently set that I'm missing?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   JAZ

JAZ

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 348 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDetroit Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Perhaps check/replace liftgate struts?

• Bill-N likes this

#3 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 623 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Perhaps check/replace liftgate struts?

It doesn't appear to be struts, though I could be wrong. As I said, sometimes after resetting it the door will open to the height I set, just not more than a few times.. Also, if I push up the door, after it opens too low, it has no issue staying at that height. And even when it goes down, it acts as if it is lowering to a particularly height. Instead, the issue appears to be something with the "memory" of the door, that it keeps going back to a "default" height despite my trying to reset it.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·