Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

bumper lip for c-max - mounting question

bumper lip mounting installation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larsson

larsson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new here!

Wanted to ask, whether anyone of you folks ever installed a bumper lip on C-Max? If so, how did you mount it?

I've checked videos, and some people say that it is enough to degrease the bumper with special 3M primer and then mount it with 3m tape.

Some even say that the side skirts may be mounted the same way. But will it really hold the lip? Or it's still better to drill the bumper and install the lip?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new here!

Wanted to ask, whether anyone of you folks ever installed a bumper lip on C-Max? If so, how did you mount it?

I've checked videos, and some people say that it is enough to degrease the bumper with special 3M primer and then mount it with 3m tape.

Some even say that the side skirts may be mounted the same way. But will it really hold the lip? Or it's still better to drill the bumper and install the lip?

Not sure what you are trying to do. Can you show pictures?  I used Velcro so the spoiler could come off if I hit something.

Paul

#3 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,828 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

I've used this 3M tape on many outdoor projects.  Never had an issue with it holding up in high heat, wind, and sun.  Look at the link for the product details, specs, uses, surface prep, and so forth.  IMO, surface prep is critical and on rougher / uneven surfaces, pushing the tape into the surface with sufficient force.  There are charts / tables showing adhesion when exposed to various contaminants / solvents like gasoline and showing  tensile and shear strength.

I bought a 1/2" large roll (about 100 feet) on ebay about 3 years ago and unused tape (shelf life) is still good.  

• ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,361 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:13 PM

... you folks ever installed a bumper lip on C-Max? ...

Yep; I put an aluminum lip at the back of the front under-panel, where it meets the engine cover. It got ripped off the first winter. Even with the short nose, there's enough suspension travel that Ford's 2014 mods are about as far as you can go. 

Side skirts don't have a problem; the low spot's in the center of the car, not the edges.

Have fun,

Frank 

#5 OFFLINE   larsson

larsson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

Not sure what you are trying to do. Can you show pictures?  I used Velcro so the spoiler could come off if I hit something.

Paul

Here is the front lip design I am trying to repeat (see this Focus - https://www.carid.co...ery/ford/focus/). The only thing I do not like about it are those straps that seem to hold the lip. But hey, are these a must-have?

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,263 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Here is the front lip design I am trying to repeat (see this Focus - https://www.carid.co...ery/ford/focus/). The only thing I do not like about it are those straps that seem to hold the lip. But hey, are these a must-have?

Not sure how you would integrate that with a CMAX front end. As it is the CMAX has way to much cooling for the ICE and not sure that would improve aerodynamics either. :headscratch:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 15 November 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,828 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

IMO, those kits are primarilty for aesthetics just like the wheels in the pic. ;)  Look at the marketing hype.  There's no spec data on aero improvement just "Ultimate in design and aerodynamics" which to me means the kit has the lowest practical aero drag for looks not that the kit reduces total aero drag on the car.  They wouldn't sell if they were ugly. :)

• ptjones and larsson like this

#8 OFFLINE   larsson

larsson

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

That's

IMO, those kits are primarilty for aesthetics just like the wheels in the pic. ;)  Look at the marketing hype.  There's no spec data on aero improvement just "Ultimate in design and aerodynamics" which to me means the kit has the lowest practical aero drag for looks not that the kit reduces total aero drag on the car.  They wouldn't sell if they were ugly. :)

Absolutely, just for the looks, not more.... I mean, I am not that stupid to believe, that this sort of aerodynamoc will add hp or something. Well, maybe on some racecar it will, but not on my C-Max haha

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,263 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

If you are looking for Aerodynamic Mods that actually work look at my You Tube video on aero Mods: http://fordcmaxhybri...-mileage/page-1:)

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bumper lip, mounting, installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·