How To: Install LEDs in Sunshade Vanity Mirror

Hey, thought I'd post a quick how to on how to install LEDs in the vanity mirrors in the sunshade as it wasn't quite as easy as most vehicles where you pop the lens off and thats it.

Step 1.  With a normal size flathead screwdriver gently pry up about 1" in on the edge of the plastic part of the mirror assembly in the visor.  The plastic assembly snaps in so you will hear an audible click as you pop it out.

post-4923-0-06680000-1510850925_thumb.png

Step 2.  Don't have a pic, but they'll be a metal reflector thats held in with plastic rivets on the inside of the mirror behind the clear plastic lens and where the bulb sticks out.  You'll need to gently pry this off with a screwdriver in order to gain access to the bulbs. 

Step 3.  The bulbs are base type T5.  You can get ones off ebay for like 10 for a $1.  They usually are used for gauge cluster bulb replacements.  You might even be able to find right angle ones already rather than doing steps 4 & 5.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-T5-LED-White-Dashboard-Gauge-Wedge-Instrument-Panel-Light-Bulb70-74-1SMD/202100536278?hash=item2f0e2173d6:g:rmQAAOSw-xVZ-SyG&vxp=mtr

Step 4.  I had some of the regular T5 bulbs listed above spare.  I used a pair of wire snippers and carefully cut away part of the plastic on the base of the LEDs (see pics).

post-4923-0-86862300-1510850926_thumb.png

post-4923-0-19778600-1510850931_thumb.png

Step 5.  I gently pried the LED itself 90 degrees downward.  Keep in mind most LEDs are polarized, meaning that + and - of the LED does matter.  If you do all this and plug it in and it doesn't light up, flip the bulb 180 degrees.  I got lucky and all 4 I did this too (cutting half the base plastic away) I did on the correct side of the bulb.  Since they are so cheap if you screw it up then grab another bulb.

Step 6.  Pull stock bulb out and insert LED.

Step 7.  Test both LEDs light up by opening vanity mirror.  Give it a gentle shake making sure there's no flickering to make sure there's no loose connections.

Step 8.  Push the metal reflector assembly back in.  The plastic rivets that used to hold them in are now broke but it'll still squeeze in.

Step 9.  I used hot glue and put some globs on the corners of the reflector part to hold it against the plastic of the vanity mirror.  I initially didn't use any glue and just snapped it in, but found quickly the opening and closing of the sunshade cause them to bump loose and rattle around.

Step 10.  Snap the plastic vanity mirror back into the sunshade visor.  I applied gentle but firm pressure on the plastic on each side until I heard an audible "click" using my other hand to apply counter pressure against the back of the sunshade.

Done!  No soldering, removal of sunshade, or removal of contact points on mirror required.  Took about 10 mins to do both vanity mirrors.

post-4923-0-85628800-1510850934_thumb.png

Edited by vonsche