Most measured gallons put in your Cmax?

Wizzurp

Just checked my records and I've put 13.35 gallons in.  I never "try" to run out of fuel ... anymore.  It's only happened twice to me a long, long time ago (not C-Max) when climbing longer steeper hills on the interstate.  Also, IIRC, a few have run several miles (maybe 15 or so) after "zero miles to empty".  I believe you can get near 14 gallons in the tank.

Fuel tank usable "rated" size (13.5 gallons in the C-Max Hybrid) is less than "fill up" size. There is a standard for tank size rating.  For example, filler pipe, vapor air space at top of tank, fuel lines, low area at bottom where fuel pump usually sits and can't be reached by the pump are excluded from the volume calculation of rated tank capacity.  In addition, if you fill the tank beyond the pump shut off, fuel can enter the EVAP system. Filling when not on flat ground, can result in fuel in the air space. 

So, if you want to test the tank size, drive until you run out of gas making sure gas stations are near and where the ground is level as you will be able to drive in EV for likely 1/4 - 1/2 mile at low speeds once ICE stops running.  Maybe you can set the fillup record!  :) 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

The other question I had on this topic, the ICE is spun and expected to start. What does the ecu do if it does not actually fire? Does it try multiple times and then stop to conserve battery voltage? If it runs out of gas I'm curious to see how the car behaves with respect to trying to bring the ICE back online.

From what I’ve seen on a FEH is the ice will spin at about 800RPM for 3 seconds and then shutdown with Stop Safely now.

If this happens while driving I believe you have very little battery power to help you get off road.

Maybe we need to hook up a switch to the fuel pump fuse and switch it off while driving? Lol

Aka I want to know if anyone has run one out of gas. What happened if so?

Yes, several of us have done so.  I did it running back and forth past the gas station to set a record "miles per tank" run.  I think there was some warning but continued on in EV mode to the station - no problem.  This post describes also running until EV mode is "dead".  Better have gas with you then!

We have covered in the "600 mile club Posts" and I have run out 6 times and it has taken 13.9 to 14 gallons to fillup the tank.  A few interesting points, you can usually go 25 mi. past Empty, I have gone at least 60 mi. past empty without running out.  I have never run out of gas going uphill, gas goes to back of tank. I did get 14.1 gal. in my tank with the car parked with the back uphill, I didn't run out of gas, but I'm sure it was close. :) The ICE will start up immediately after filling up. No problems, BTW I have 172k mi. on MADMAX and still getting great MPG's. :)

Paul

Wow, 

I can beat Paul at something! 14.116 is my largest fill... but with a comment that it includes a partial fill. My largest single is 14.011... dang. 

My 700-mile tank was 13.3 gal., and the pump agreed with the car, a rare event you'll agree. 

Frank

The pump I used was analog, not electronic digital. LOL  :)

Paul