Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Dead battery 11th time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zone1090

zone1090

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSalisbury
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SE

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

Had car towed in to shop with dead car. I have installed a new battery about a month ago. Old battery tested good though.
After reading page after page of people with this problem I have never seen what anyone did to fix it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,828 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

The Ford "fixes" were several CSPs /TSBs that you've likely had done.  I don't recall all of them but after the last Ford CSP 15b04, the reports of dead batteries / no start declined significantly.  I note that 15b04 expired in May 2016.

My guess is you have an intermittent, abnormal low or high resistance in wiring / connectors / modules / sensors that prevent certain modules from going to "sleep" when the car is off.  After so many hours, the "awake" modules drain the 12V battery to a SOC insufficent for the modules to operate (voltage is too low) when trying to start the car. 

Some of those with the "dead battery" issue had specific modules replaced and one had the module that attaches to the battery post replaced (can't recall the name, but it has a fuse and metering sensors for the 12V battery monitoring algorithm).  My guess in these "rare" instances where the dealer found a specific cause, the conditon was a "hard" failure which a good tech could isolate.  But, intermittent issues are very difficult to isolate as there are likely no DTCs stored and are virtually impossible to troubleshoot when the modules are active and the abnormal condition doesn't exist.  

I assume the "lemon law" in your state is no longer applicable to your car.  

#3 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 590 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

When I was having that problem before the "fix" I bought something like this which gave me confidence I was not going to be stuck somewhere.  With 4 dead batteries episodes I have a flavor of your experience.  

https://www.amazon.c... jumper starter

It might even be cheaper on black friday and there are lots of companies selling them.  (The one I linked is an "Amazon's choice" )

#4 OFFLINE   zone1090

zone1090

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSalisbury
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C Max SE

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

After the first time (6months old) I bought and taught everyone how to use jump pack. Good thing because it has broke down with everyone.
Dealer tried to blame new battery until they found out I am in the battery business over 30 years. Last time they said battery was bad so I checked it myself and it still tested good on Midtronics tester. I changed it anyway.
Dealer managed to repower car and can't find any drains. So looks like we will bevdealing with
another session

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·