Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Running taillights not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,553 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hey there it’s Mike (a.k.a. Maxus) in CA, I’m trying to fix a problem I’m having with my right rear running lights not lighting. Neither the lens on the tailgate or the one on the right rear fender. However the right brake light works and so does the turn signal. Also the backup light works. I wanted to check the fuses but I’m not sure where they are?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,632 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

As it turns out there are two fuse boxes shown on pages 272 to 276 in the owners Manual.  Our Forum Links don't work for OM so I need to add this link: http://www.fordservi...s/13cmhom3e.pdf:)  Hope this helps.

Paul

#3 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

• 1,553 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the link Paul, I looked through the many pages of information regarding the fuses and the location of the 3 different fuse blocks. None of them seem to show a fuse which is for the rear running lights. So I still haven’t found away to fix the right rear lights which aren’t working. But at least the right rear brake light is working and the turn signal. Now if I could just get the running lights to work.

#4 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hey there it’s Mike (a.k.a. Maxus) in CA, I’m trying to fix a problem I’m having with my right rear running lights not lighting. Neither the lens on the tailgate or the one on the right rear fender. However the right brake light works and so does the turn signal. Also the backup light works. I wanted to check the fuses but I’m not sure where they are?

There are no fuses for individual light circuits.  The BCM controls the park lights, turn signals, reverse lights and so forth.  Since other lights work the BCM fuses are good.

Given that the lights are out on the tailgate (separate fixture and wiring) and also on rear fender (separate fixture and wiring), the single contingency fault to take out both lights exists from the splice where the two park light circuits split from the single wire connected to the BCM that controls the right rear park lights or the BCM is bad.  It's also possible that you had a double fault for example both lamps failed around the same time so you didn't notice that one lamp was out.  It's also possible that the two wires from the splice to the fixtures were damaged at different times or the same time.  IMO, the least unlikely double contingency condition would be that the two fixtures failed around the same time.

Has anyone done work under the dash, or in the fixture / tailgate area that could have damaged something (likely wiring)?

I'd first make sure the bulbs are good.  If good, then I'd find the splice as IMO that would be a likely point of failure.  Check splice and continuity from the splice to fixtures with an ohmeter.  Attached are two diagrams from the service manual.

Attached File  Rear Wiring.JPG   130.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Splice.JPG   113.02KB   0 downloads

• ptjones and obob like this

#5 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

• 1,553 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:32 AM

Plus 3 Golfer, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. All that wiring stuff spooks me and I’m not good with dealing into them. So I will probably turn to a 3 party Automotive shop I trust and have done work with on my wife’s car. Not going to the dealer that sold me Maxus, they have changed ownership and I’m not confident in them doing me right. Believed it or not the dealership was purchased by Warren Buffet, unbelievable he want a car dealership in San Jose.

#6 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

One more thought: I assume that the BCM monitors the light circuits and there may be a DTC.  Check for DTCs in Engineering test mode.  When I have time I'll look at what DTCs are avaiable in the BCM.

Hopefully it's the bulbs. It's a pain to troubleshoot wiring.  If it's not the bulbs, I would think that it would take less than an hour for a tech to pull the connector from the BCM and check the continuity of the wiring from the BCM connector to the light fixtures. 

• ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

• 1,553 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

Plus 3 Golfer, I have replaced the bulbs with no change. There’s something a miss with the wiring I’m afraid. After the Holiday I’m taking Maxus to a trusted repair shop for them to sort out.

#8 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

Plus 3 Golfer, I have replaced the bulbs with no change. There’s something a miss with the wiring I’m afraid. After the Holiday I’m taking Maxus to a trusted repair shop for them to sort out.

You might want to provide a copy of the Plus 3 Golfer provided diagrams to your repair shop.   You saving them time and frustration might save you money.  And they may not have access to the diagrams.

• ptjones likes this

#9 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

• 1,553 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Good thought bob I will print them out, thanks for your input.

#10 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

• 1,553 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

I took Maxus to the stealership and they fixed the problem. They tod me they replaced the bulb and said the socket was bad which I seriously doubt since it never has been disturbed since Maxus was born (2013). Lastly they charged me $45 for a new bulb just the bulb. Crazy Autozone sells the same bulb for about $10, but we all know the stealership over inflates parts prices.
  • ptjones and obob like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·