Just saying hi and long term update

scottwood2

Hi everyone.  

I have not been on the forum for some time.  I have since retired and just became busy with other stuff.   A big one is the purchase of a ProMaster van.   For a big tall van I am getting up to 22 MPG (avg 18 - 19 mpg).  I am happy with that.   Making my own camper van.   Fun project and it will take some of the load off of the C-Max.   Using the C-Max for more local stuff now and the van for trips.  

My C-Max has over 50K on it now.   Still love to drive it.  Winter has been very cold here in Michigan as many have said.   I still play with keeping the heater off as much as I can but it really hurts the FE.  Also my other half is using the car more now that I am not working.   He is not concerned about FE.  Just drives it and cranks the heat.   Still life time avg FE of about 47 MPG.   

No problems with the C-Max other than it getting hit in a parking lot.  Tailgate was replaced.  

Still think the C-Max is a great car and a great value.   I would buy the SE model again as long as it had the 8" display and winter package.  Hope that Ford come out with a bunch of great hybrid and electric cars in the future.  From what I hear they seem to be behind many other companies for getting these out there.   Not sure when the C-Max replacement is due?   I thought it was soon but I have not heard much about it lately.   

Scottwood2 - very impressive lifetime FE for northern driving.  I am watching my average drop below 43 - I lose about .1mpg every week or so.

Most of my trips are 10 miles or under, so engine runs first several miles due to "normal operation", even with heater off - and in sub-zero temps it is on almost my whole trip.

As far as comfort is concerned, I think an infrared heatlamp in the driver's foot well would be nice.  I'll drop that suggestion in the official Ford Suggestion Box, if I ever find it.

Rumor says toward end of this year Ford will introduce hybrid versions of both the redesigned Focus and the Escape, and maybe electric version of its EcoSport mini-suv, which I believe is based on the Fiesta platform:

https://pushevs.com/2017/11/15/2019-ford-focus-will-arrive-next-year-hybrid-electric-variants/

post-1320-0-48617500-1518465789_thumb.jpg

Ironically, retirement was the end of my science project.

You'll note a seasonal pattern that ends 3/2016 at 45K miles, when I retired and ended my daily commute. Until then, I had been experimenting, and saw things like tire pressure and fuel content make a difference under some circumstances, and not in others. It came back time and again that the driver is the biggest variable in fuel mileage...

... Except ambient temperature. Nothing you can do about cold. These should all have block heaters. 

That said, be aware that you'll only see the smaller drivers of fuel mileage at very high mileage. For example, if your pump-based mileage doesn't break 50 MPG on a regular basis, use cheap gas. The best ethanol-free premium fuel never pays for itself, has no benefit at highway speeds, but it will push a high-mileage driving style even higher.

Conversely, increasing tire pressure close to the rated sidewall pressure always helps. And I saw no mileage different between OEM and Michelin X-ice snow tires at changeover. That's not typical!

Have fun,

Frank