Do you have any Regrets in Buying the C-Max

NCtoCAgirlie

Hey Y'all! 

I am thinking about getting the C-max... I know I am on the forum before it's official. I was wanting to ask because sometime soon I will be purchasing a car. I have been looking at and examining and reading about the C-Max. I wanted to hear from current owners. Some of you have had your car now for a good amount of time and was wondering how you felt about the decision to buy this car after the fact. 

Do you love it? What would you change if anything? Any advice before I go to the dealer to talk with them about the car. 

I live near LA, CA which we all know what that means sitting in traffic is a way of life (I hate it but still). How does the C-Max do in traffic? What are you actually getting in mpg?

Cars sitting in the hot sun is normal in Socal also... So I want a white one but wondering if the light stone made the car feel cooler or better then the charcoal? 

Number 1: Question is do you absolutely love your C-Max and would you recommend it to a friends like me?

First, allow me to tell you about myself a bit.  I am a frequent new car purchaser.  I drive about 25,000 miles per year and comfort usually trumps MPG.  Before this purchase, I had a 2011 Limited Explorer with every option except for the DVD.  I really liked the Fusion Hybrid and I honestly didn't need the room in the Explorer since I closed my business.  I went down to the dealership to check out the Fusion and that's when I first saw the C-Max.  To be honest, it didn't completely thrill me at first.  I had seriously looked at the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius in the past and they were not for me.  I love techie toys and really wanted to like the Prius for the techie factor, but after a half day drive in it there was no way I would purchase one.

With that said, I was still fairly set on the Fusion and I went home to await the release of the Titanium.  As I sat around and waited the C-Max kept on coming up in my mind.  I went back and test drove one and was highly impressed, yet it still wasn't thrilling.  The wife wasn't too crazy about it since she loved the SUVs and she thought the Explorer was small since we traded an Excursion in for it a couple years earlier.  After some long debates about what we really "needed" and how we were going to use it, I was able to get her to like it a bit.

The day I took delivery, I kind of prepped my friends.  They had always seen me in big vehicles with all the options and toys you could pile up on them.  I kept telling them "I am making a practical choice for our needs".  I was thinking that I would be "okay" with the car for a year or two, but it would save me a bit and it would probably be worth it in the long run.  While I was making the deal, I was really second guessing everything.  I took the keys and drove off.

On the way to the house (30 miles) I was up on the wide open Interstate with the wife following me in her 7 series BMW.  I notice that I am leaving her behind and look down to see that I am cruising along at 85MPH.  She will barely do 5 over the limit.  It was in that moment that my whole attitude towards this little car changed.  I began giving it a true lookover and I was becoming more and more impressed.  The fit and finish is much higher than I would have expected.  The car is extremely quiet whether you are putting around town or blazing down the highway. 

The Hybrid setup is awesome.  I hated the way that that the Prius and Insight drove and the fact that I felt like I was always impeding traffic with the lack of power.  Now, I will not say that this is some speed demon, yet the 0-60 specs on this car are in line with the Explorer I just traded in and just a little slower than the BMW (no kidding).  The guages give you a much better feel than either the Prius or Insight does.  I am still impressed with the system.

I have almost 2,000 miles on the car.  I have taken it for a 5 hour (each way) trip with my wife, our dog, a crate, and luggage and enjoyed every minute of it.  During this trip, we sat in a bit of traffic and I enjoyed sitting there without burning a drop of gas!

The only option that I really miss is the Adaptive Cruise Control.  It would be a fantasic option on this car as the cruise control really helps to boost the MPG. I am actually starting to enjoy keeping up with the MPG now and I am averaging close to 43MPG at this point.  Since MPG wasn't my biggest point, I am not sweating a little bit of a difference from the EPA numbers.  I never expect EPA and I am thrilled with 43!  With the extra weight, power, and the fit and finish over it's competitors, I am shocked that it does so well.

At this point, I have to say that I do absolutely LOVE this C-Max.  The wife actually traded in her BMW with me and downsized to an Escape Titanium.  While she was waiting on her car to come, she drove the C-Max a few times.  She will tell you that she actually kind of wishes she had gotten one too now.  She likes her Escape, but she LOVES the C-Max too.

As for your interior question, we did get the Stone interior with the White Platinum. I believe that lighter cars with lighter interiors do help with the heat in the summers.  I have owned black cars with black interiors and the summers were awful.  I also tint my vehicles pretty dark which helps a lot.  I would recommend a lighter setup if that's a concern for you.

As for the dealer dealings, check with your Employer for any possible discount programs (Like X-Plan).  If you don't have anything like that, there are some rebates going on here and there.  Someone mentioned a discount coupon in some brochure they received.  The MSRP to Invoice difference seems to be between $1500 and $2000, which might help you with negotiating a bit as well.

If you seriously take a look at each competitor within this market, I think you will come away highly impressed with the C-Max.  Do a little homework and make the choice that is best for you.  I have recommended the car to several people so far and each Prius owning friend that I have are all interested.  I even talked to a Leaf owner today and perked his interest a bit.  If he wasn't in a lease, he said that he would highly consider checking it out since he has run into a couple of issues with long trips over the year.

Keep us informed and let us know how things work out for you.  Best of luck to you.

I would recommend it with 302a for most value, I didn't want moon roof or auto park. Silver reflects as well as white and is cheaper. The light stone has to be cooler and thats what I have.

The CMAX was made for stop and go driving, I would expect MPG in the 50's. My last tank was 47.3MPG mostly Hwy but it does matter how you drive, aggresive or defensive. You will like the power and being able to go 62mph on the battery.  I got mine on XPlan and paid about 29k total. Good Luck.

I have a silver Energi with the light interior with the moon roof (didn't really want the option, but am enjoying it now) and 302A package. I really love the car, especially commuting to/from work without burning any gas. If you can live with the reduced trunk size I hope you consider the Energi. You won't be sorry either way.

I have about 520 miles on the car and haven't filled the tank yet and the indicated average MPG is 53.6. Many of those miles are all electric from plugging it in and regen, so I have no idea how the mileage is really doing. Also don't forget other advantages like brakes and oil last several times longer than normal and HOV access (if you get the Energi).

Do you love it? What would you change if anything? Any advice before I go to the dealer to talk with them about the car. 

I've owned my White C-Max SEL with sunroof for about a month or so now.  I have about 2000 miles on it so far and really enjoy driving it.  It's very comfortable, quiet and has the oomph for those time when you really need it.  If I would change something about the car, it would be the cup holders.  They are a little small and the ones on the doors prevent placing a tall water bottle in them.

I live near LA, CA which we all know what that means sitting in traffic is a way of life (I hate it but still). How does the C-Max do in traffic? What are you actually getting in mpg?

I'm on the east side of S.F. Bay Area and although our traffic is not as bad as L.A., we get a decent amount, especially when there are accidents (which seems to happen once a week at a minimum).  The C-Max does very well in terms of mpg in stop and go traffic.  For my driving habit and commute (50+ miles round trip with 45% freeway), I am getting excellent mileage (46-47 mpg in 37-47 deg ambient temp).  On short round trips (5-10 miles) in the city, I've seen my mpg goes as high as 50+ mpg.

Cars sitting in the hot sun is normal in Socal also... So I want a white one but wondering if the light stone made the car feel cooler or better then the charcoal? 

Light Stone color is most likely cooler.  However, I opted for the Charcoal color because I have kids and I figure the darker color will hide the dirt marks better. ;)

Number 1: Question is do you absolutely love your C-Max and would you recommend it to a friends like me?

I am very happy with my purchase of the C-Max so far and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and relatives.

Edited by AgentCMAX

Nah, I hate it, hate it, hate it. But I lie. Seriously, it's a great little car with SURPRISING room in the back and with the folding seats. Awesome power and I love the steering in this car, super precise. Best of all, go test drive a Prius, infact, do a few test drives in the Prius and then afterward, go test drive a C-Max. Night and Day, Winter and Summer dude.

Go with the SEL, 302A is the ice cream but if you want some nice fudge on top, go with the 303A. Whats the difference - park assist and front sensors. You know how the city like to put crap infront of the parking spots.

Dude, same here. Which part of LA? I'm near the foothills of San Fernando. I commute the 210-118-405 freeways, going between LA county to Ventura etc. So anywhere < 55MPH bumper to bumper, this car shines. I drove from my house to Beverly Hills, exit Wilshire and I got a cool 51MPGs but coming back, I was fanging home in near freezing temps and got 36MPGs. I also do runs down to North Hollywood along the 170 exit Victory and it's a 58-61MPGs but coming back it's 36MPG. So what am I saying - it depends on the terrain, I didn't realise how uphill or downhill the San Fernando valley is.

I have the Platinum White with the black interior. Unfortunately that was the deal with my car but I had some really nice tinting done for the windows thrown in for free as part of the package. My 303A SEL is fully loaded with tinting (but no sunroof), I got for approx $30,200. No special plan but we are long time customers of Galpin Ford.

Absolutely, the utility in this car is amazing. If you read some of my past posts, I did not expect to buy this car but I did. I love the drive, power (pretty darn good for a hybrid) and utility. I can shove in my golf clubs and cart no worries and the room is very surprising. Go check it out but do yourself a favor, test drives the Toyotas and then test drive this beast. It will handle the LA traffic no worries, infact the more traffic the better. If you drive more than 65mph where EV is not used, use the eco-cruise function and I get 40MPG on the nose at this speed and my engine is only 680miles on the odo, not broken in yet.

If you have any Qs, feel free to PM me as you're in my city so you know most of these high ways I am talking about.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Dude, same here. Which part of LA? I'm near the foothills of San Fernando. I commute the 210-118-405 freeways, going between LA county to Ventura etc. So anywhere < 55MPH bumper to bumper, this car shines. I drove from my house to Beverly Hills, exit Wilshire and I got a cool 51MPGs but coming back, I was fanging home in near freezing temps and got 36MPGs. I also do runs down to North Hollywood along the 170 exit Victory and it's a 58-61MPGs but coming back it's 36MPG. So what am I saying - it depends on the terrain, I didn't realise how uphill or downhill the San Fernando valley is.

Ain't that the truth!  As I try to up my MPG, and am more conscious of the roads, I find it amazing how much uphill/downhill driving I do!  I always thought San Diego was flat.

Ain't that the truth!  As I try to up my MPG, and am more conscious of the roads, I find it amazing how much uphill/downhill driving I do!  I always thought San Diego was flat.

Hell everything looks flat, need to plum bob either valleys to see how flat (NOT) they are.

All the Energi wanting poster + 1 here as well BUT at this time, that car is not affordable. Problem being is that you pay upfront front for the "tax credit" and then claim the refund back at tax time. Plus add the cost of a charge station...may be Series II in a few years time.

No regrets in buying a C-Max, slight regret in paying $1500 for 5yr/100k Premium care warranty, since it was my fault for mis-remembering the "online" price I saw on these forums..

I didn't want one with such an early date, late Sept according to the window sticker(picked up 12/5/12), especially since for some reason the vehicle wasn't on the lot, but i figured that as it was only with 37 miles on the ODO when I picked it up, it was fine.. Seems like the fit/finish not as good as was on my 2006 Mazda. Will see what else happens.

Edited by From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

Speeding 2 C-Maxing,

... slight regret in paying $1500 for 5yr/100k Premium care warranty, since it was my fault for mis-remembering the "online" price I saw on these forums..

You can still cancel the premium care warranty by going to dealer and put it in writing.  Then after it is cancelled, you can purchase a new one online. 

No regrets in buying a C-Max, slight regret in paying $1500 for 5yr/100k Premium care warranty, since it was my fault for mis-remembering the "online" price I saw on these forums..

I didn't want one with such an early date, late Sept according to the window sticker(picked up 12/5/12), especially since for some reason the vehicle wasn't on the lot, but i figured that as it was only with 37 miles on the ODO when I picked it up, it was fine.. Seems like the fit/finish not as good as was on my 2006 Mazda. Will see what else happens.

Yes, You can cancel and reorder a new one. I think that you have 30 days to do so. However, you need to check on the timing yourself, YMMV... Don't be bashful. Save some Money!

Edited by ScooterS

• 1 year later...

EDIT: AH CRAP -- SORRY TO DIG UP SUCH AN OLD THREAD -- I GAFFED A SEARCH AND THOUGHT THIS WAS A NEW TOPIC.

I did a lot of research and looked at the different models, and ext/int colors, and decided on a bare bones ruby red SE with charcoal cloth mostly due to the lower cash outlay and ability to hide crud from dogs/kids. My wife noticed I volunteer to drive everywhere now since it's so much fun. The more I drive it, the more I enjoy it, and I would totally recommend it. I got 54mpg dropping off my son at soccer practice (high 60s, mostly flat hwy) with some city street driving to the supermarket, and 43mpg coming home after picking him up from practice. 

Edited by RobMax

Well I don't own one yet but have drove 5 so far with one for an overnight test drive.  I have looked at many other cars as well but I keep coming back to this one.  It does seem like a great car and fits my needs very well.  I was concerned with issues but the problems seem to be getting fixed and I hear the number of problems are less than average now. 

This post makes it very hard to not to purchase one.  :drool:

I dunno, Scott -- no offense but if you've driven a C-Max that much but a *post* makes it hard not to purchase one, I'm not so sure you're the sort who should buy it.

For me it was the ten minute test drive, and in my half-century of car ownership I've never had a car I look so forward to getting into and driving.  I try and find excuses just to go to the store (but it's even more fun to take it for longer drives).  Perhaps it's just because I haven't had a new car in a while, but all the great things about it just make it more fun to be than almost anywhere other than my pool or the tennis courts (although it's great to get TO the tennis courts :>).

No matter what you read it won't get any better -- even if you read tomorrow that Ford announced they had officially solved all and any issues with the vehicle that doesn't mean the one you purchase couldn't be a Monday or Friday car.  I think you either take a chance... or you stick to bicycles <bg>.

I dunno, Scott -- no offense but if you've driven a C-Max that much but a *post* makes it hard not to purchase one, I'm not so sure you're the sort who should buy it.

For me it was the ten minute test drive, and in my half-century of car ownership I've never had a car I look so forward to getting into and driving.  I try and find excuses just to go to the store (but it's even more fun to take it for longer drives).  Perhaps it's just because I haven't had a new car in a while, but all the great things about it just make it more fun to be than almost anywhere other than my pool or the tennis courts (although it's great to get TO the tennis courts :>).

No matter what you read it won't get any better -- even if you read tomorrow that Ford announced they had officially solved all and any issues with the vehicle that doesn't mean the one you purchase couldn't be a Monday or Friday car.  I think you either take a chance... or you stick to bicycles <bg>.

Really the biggest issue is price now for me.  I have been waiting to see what the new round of rebates would bring.  Looks to be about the same deal.  Debating on a 2014 or 2015.  I am just the type that likes to research everything before I buy.  To me it is part of the adventure.  I also am the type that drives the car for a long time.  10 years on this one now so I want to be sure this is the one. 

To be honest I have liked the C-Max for a while.  It was the under $20K prices that caught my eye. If I could have got those prices then I would be driving one now.  Of course that price is a price for employees and also if you have a lease with a non-ford vehicle.  neither apply to me.  :sad: I understand why they advertise this but it also makes it hard for me to know that Ford gives someone $1k off just because they lease a non-Ford car. I don't lease but neither of my cars are Ford.  I am looking at switching but somehow that don't count.  Kind of a slap in the face. 

They also send $750 coupons out in the mail but I guess I am not on that list as well.  So I think you can tell that I love the car but not Fords policies on who gets discounts and who does not.  I have to look at this as what I am paying compared to other cars and the price does not seem too bad for what the car is.  My Scion was a fixed price.  Everyone paid the same no matter what.  I like that much better than playing these games. 

OK I am getting off of my high horse and back to thinking of good things about the car.  :)

Edited by scottwood2