Do you have any Regrets in Buying the C-Max

NCtoCAgirlie

Scott, I drive my cars long as well, maybe longer than you (our Durango has 15 years on it and will probably go for at least five if not ten now that I'm using Maximis so much, and prior to that I drove my Prelude for 17 years and my wife hated to part with her Mazda 10 year old truck when we moved but we thought we wouldn't need two vehicles -- big mistake).  I intend to keep the C-Max as long as it will work (with the battery I'm not sure I'll get more than 8-10 years out of it, though) so I do understand wanting to take your time and getting it right.

I agree with Adrian -- if price is your concern I'd wait until the 2015 are released (or perhaps the week before) and hit my dealer up and make them an offer on a 2013 and then walk away (leaving them with your number, of course).  I'd do this with at least two or three dealers and see what happens.  As long as you are firm and don't waver you ought to be able to get pretty much whatever is reasonable, given no *new car* dealer wants any new "two year old" models on their lot.

C-MAX sales are growing again.

Increasing sales of a particular model has several related consequences for sellers and buyers:

1) increasing sales of existing inventory means fewer cars sitting on the lot. Good for sellers.

2) fewer cars on the lot means the dealers aren't as "desperate" to get rid of them, especially below true cost. Good for sellers.

3) fewer cars on the lots means (some) buyers will have to order and wait to get the exact model and equipment they want, and those buyers are less able to negotiate a super low price. Good for sellers.

4) fewer cars on the lot means there will be room for brand new 2015 inventory arriving (in the next 30-90 days) that can be sold at a higher price. Good for sellers.

5) The 'ancient' inventory still around will have a very attractive price, and require very little negotiation, but the buyer will have very limited choices, usually either the 'base' models with absolutely no options, or the 'fully loaded' models with every option, and almost nothing in-between. Great for buyers who want and can afford exactly what is still available.

In central Indiana, Ford is offering retail purchasers $750 more on remaining 2013's (up to $3,250) than 2014's (up to $2,500), without considering $1,000 Conquest lease cash, $500 Military, or $500 recent College grad incentives.

BUT, base price of 2013 SE's was $1030 higher than the 2014 SE's, $25,200 vs $24,170, so a comparably equipped 2014 SE is actually a better deal.

Transportation cost increased from $795 to $825 from 2013 to 2014, so Ford decreased base price by an additional $30 on 2014's.

Base price of SEL's also dropped $30 from 2013's to 2014's, again because Transportation cost rose $30 for 2014, so there was no net price change.

Your bet bet now is to search for dealers in your region 'stuck' with lots of aging inventory (not limited to just C-MAX inventory) who really need to move them for cash-flow purposes.

Because of the two cycles of lowered EPA estimates, on 2013 and 2014 models built on or before June 15, 2014, you actually need to look at the physical car VIN sticker on the driver's side door frame to determine manufacturing day/month/year. Also note that C-MAX has date formatted as Day/Month/Year, not the more traditional (American) Month/Day/Year notation.

Monroney window stickers for cars built prior to June 15, 2014 show the date the last EPA estimate sticker was printed, not the manufacture date.

Or wait for the dead of winter (Jan-Feb-March). 

Edited by kostby

I traded in a fast German luxobarge for mine, so I have more to miss than some...but after nearly two years of ownership I'm still pretty happy with the C-Max, and assuming it remains reliable, I expect I will remain so. Steering and acceleration are roughly on par with my old 17 MPG beast, which makes my 37 MPG feel pretty impressive. Plus the electric motor sound and enormous windows make me feel like I'm piloting a spaceship, and it's fun to coax in and out of electric mode.

People tend to focus on either the car's European road manners or its stingy fuel economy, and those are both delightful, but in a way the most impressive thing about the car is how much Ford sweated the details that make it easy to live with day to day: tall roof and butt-height seats so it's effortless to get in and out of, automatic headlights, dual climate controls so you don't argue with your partner over temperature, rear seats that fold pancake-flat in one lever pull (the dog's favorite feature), and so on...if you have the front wipers going, the rear wiper even comes on automatically when you shift into reverse.  

One exception to this theme of good design: the confusing and unreliable Sync infotainment system (button and screen versions alike), which generates loathing in every Ford product.

Heated leather power seats, auto lift gate, rain sense wipers, parking aids, backup camera, power express up/down windows,

Sony audio system w/nav., push button start, keyless entry without using a FOB, dimming rear view mirror, and tilt/telescopic

steering wheel just to name a few :love_shower:

Edited by drdiesel1

Regrets :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:  bye bye tired old BMW !

((trivial peeves & wishes, of course, regrets not a one))

No more BFM entry cars for us !!!

(BFM = bend, fold & mutilate (me) - the C-Max may still be the only non-BFM aero car out there after two years running)

Just Say No to BFM cars !

Edited by C-MaxSea

I traded in a fast German luxobarge for mine, so I have more to miss than some...but after nearly two years of ownership I'm still pretty happy with the C-Max, and assuming it remains reliable, I expect I will remain so.

So did I!  I do miss the real wood dashboard trim (and the memory seats, moon roof, and 335 hp).  But I'd have to say the SEL dash is pretty luxo itself, and the driving experience is pleasantly "crisp". 

Heated leather power seats, auto lift gate, rain sense wipers, parking aids, backup camera, power express up/down windows,

Sony audio system w/nav., push button start, keyless entry without using a FOB, dimming rear view mirror, and tilt/telescopic

steering wheel just to name a few :love_shower:

Push button start actually concerned me on the CMAX. There were two occasions I recall in my Escape where I accidently exited the car with it still running (once for over an hour), not realizing it with the quiet engine and bad hearing on my end. I could envision many times doing the same thing with a CMAX.  :doh:  :sos: 

Key, what's a key?  Push button all the way !  Keys will be long forgotten in a few years.  Just MHO. 

Agree very much with HotPotato's write up as well, esp. that Ford has sweated the most important details so well.  On a minor contrary note, we found/find the MFT system and layout rather pleasant and intuitive in design.  Love the colorful and sensible four quad layout of the 8" screen.  I assume all car Manufacturers will benchmark at 8" or larger in all cars in the very near future (not to mention that the 'screens' will be, or function as full featured tablet computers at a baseline as well - should be such already - argh).  A long way from faultless, (and certainly a far cry from our tablets).......;  but as 'lower demand' high tech users (me & my wife stick primarily with Nav, entertainment & basic telephony), we do not 'push' the system, so it works great for us, we are very spoiled with it (redundant controls / options always work for us).  I believe the 'devil is in the details' for those 'pushing' the system understandably harder.  Happy to be 'low demand' high tech users on this one. :)   ((((voice recognition aint easy in this wild, wonderful and colorful world of ours, especially for me ;) ))))

Speaking of 'not so fast' 'luxobarges': Our 93 525 had 189 hp (C-Max, 188 hp). We chipped ours for another 10-20 hp, but it did not really help; that year had 'longer legs' with a rear end gear ratio 'tuned' for better MPGs (IIRC). :) We used to get 22-28 MPGs on a regular basis cruising. More often than not, increases in HP are accompanied by additional weight and in my book 'wasted', not to mention $$$ wasted. At 3500 lb (same as the 525), our C-Max is on par or better than our ECO BMW for speed, and feels much lighter, tighter, & more responsive. Weight is almost always an efficiency detriment, but the C-Max feels just right for this time and space which demands far better MPGs, in a very safe & competent daily driver.

Nick

(not talking 3 series here!)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Push button start actually concerned me on the CMAX. There were two occasions I recall in my Escape where I accidently exited the car with it still running (once for over an hour), not realizing it with the quiet engine and bad hearing on my end. I could envision many times doing the same thing with a CMAX.  :doh:  :sos: 

The C-Max will chirp the horn twice if you exit the car without shutting it off. It also has a door chime to alert you, but the

horn should be loud enough to make you notice just in case you didn't hear the chime. Not a problem. I hate dealing with

keys after having this car. It the best thing since sliced bread, IMO :wub2:

Edited by drdiesel1

The only thing I regret is not bartering to get the moonroof for free, as many people have. I don't think its worth the $1300 premium but I would take it for free or maybe $100 extra. I got my 2014 NRG 302a for ~$26k after credits and incentives so I can't complain.

Sounds like you got a great deal to me! :)

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I got a good deal on my Energi, like others, I research a ton before buying and know what my trade-in is worth (if I'm doing one) and what a fair price is on the new.  I waffled between a Red SEL (303a) and the base Energi I did purchase, having not used a drop of gas in a week of commuting to/from work helps me think I made the right choice. 

My "base" Energi is pretty loaded, everything on my list that I wanted --and a few things I didn't-- about the only thing I miss from my previous car is the backup camera.  The accent lighting in the cup holders has really come in handy at night and a bonus to have the lighting elsewhere. 

• 4 months later...

Well, I don't know if you'd call it "long term" but Maximis has been with us for eight months now and I'm more excited about it today than I was even back when we first got it, and I've never had that feeling with any vehicle.

By which I don't mean to say I haven't had other vehicles I enjoyed and kept long time -- most all of the ones I've owned have been kept at least five years, and usually 10-15 (our Durango is still with us at 15 and should go strong for another five).  But I've never had anything I just enjoyed so much getting in and even doing drives which would have been chores in any other ride.  I actually seek out reasons to drive, something I've NEVER done (driving for me, while enjoyable at times, is never something I want to do with my time.  Until now :>).

I'm sure other folks feel this way about other transportation -- it just constantly surprises me that I still feel this way about the C-Max.  You owe it to yourself to at least give it a very good test drive.

I really enjoy the car.  I love the fuel mileage.  My wife drove it for a week and came back with a 39 mpg average for the week.  She also drives it like she stole it.  I feel sorry for the poor car after a week with my wife.  Our Cmax has also become our primary trip car.  My daughter likes the size of the back seat for doing homework etc..  We also appreciate all the plugs for electrical such as the 110, 2 accessory plugs and two usb ports.  The NAV has turned putto be the hidden gem.  I have always used google maps via bluetooth but the past three trip we have used the standard Ford NAV.  Love it.  Great system easy to understand and program.  I also love the large panoramic roof.  Great when driving through a large city and looking up!

Considering that I've yet to have a problem and that I practically stole it, it had slight hail damage and used the z plan, listed for 32k and paid 18k with the 7 year warranty, absolutely not. We love this car. As Fords go I still have my 2004 focus ztw and after a 140k miles the only thing I've ever had to do to it is tires, brakes and two batteries.