EV+ and Trip reset

From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

Maybe someone can help me with this one.  I haven't had the car long enough for it to have learned my frequent destinations (have had it for less than 1 week), so, I cannot say whether or not this is the case, but from reading the manual in regard to EV+ mode, it would seem like every time the trip computer is reset, the EV+ is cleared and so, the computer would have to spend another 2-4 weeks to relearn?  Does anyone have experience?  Is it with Trip 1, Trip 2 or is it with a reset of the "lifetime summary?"

From Page 181 of the owner's manual:

EV+ Mode

Your vehicle recognizes your frequent destinations and allows for more

EV driving as you approach them. For example, when nearing your home

it should be easier to stay in electric mode. The EV indicator displays

EV+ when this mode is active. Frequent destinations are learned by your

vehicle. These locations can be cleared through the information display.

The EV+ feature can also be turned off. See the

Information Displays

chapter for more information.

The EV mode usage changes are based on the following criteria:

• 1/2 mile (1 kilometer) from a familiar destination, your vehicle starts

to raise the accelerator pedal based EV mode threshold.

• 1/8 mile (200 meters) from a familiar destination, your vehicle is in

full EV mode.

• Infrequent destinations have no increase in EV driving.

Note: Learning frequent destination takes approximately two to four

weeks of use.

Note:  Familiar destination locations are reset through the information

display when the trip information is reset.

EV+ is off by default, I remember i had to turn it on (unless the dealer did something there before i got delivery of it).

Also, I don't know about you guys but my batts are typically 1/3 low when in EV+ mode, being where I live I have to climb up a gentle 100 feet hill so pulsing and gliding is worthy here, as versus a steady constant pressure on the pedal. 

As Jus-A-CMax stated above, EV+ is Off by default.  You have to go through the setting to enable it.  You will then see it come on around your frequent stops after a week or two. 

With some of the MPG issues going around, I wish they would make a button to turn EV+ on manually.  It would really help from time to time just to make it over a slight slope and save some MPGs.

EV+ finally showed up for me this morning as I got into the parking structure at work.

I'm usually parked on the 7th floor so being able to make that last leg on EV should be a noticeable plus. Of note, today marks the 8th time I've driven to work in the last 12 days since I've picked up the car. I've driven home much more than that (at least 12 times) but it hasn't learned that yet. the last 1/2 mile as I approach home include several elevation changes that add up to equal a climb of 160ft (some declines in there as well), for about a net climb of 140ft over 1/2 mile. (100ft climb over 0.2mi = ~10% followed by a 20ft decent over 0.1mi = ~4% followed by a final 60ft climb over 0.2mi =~6%)

Edited by From Speed6ing 2 C-Maxing

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had EV+ mode turn on.  It makes a remarkable difference in how much torque you can demand without the ICE coming on.  I'm going to experiment with turning off the HVAC when EV+ starts.  I generally have the HVAC off in the morning, otherwise the ICE comes on to heat the cabin even if there's battery available.

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring back an old thread...

My manual talks about the ev+ on page 179  and then sends me to the information cluster pages and I finaly learn how to turn it on  the driver menu.

my question.  how do you know  that EV+ is being used?  does an icon light up?    with my commute... my trip home  the last 1/2 mile is all down hill,  and at work,  its dead flat...

is it blind faith  that its working...

post-1940-0-46014500-1412700037_thumb.jpg

The left-hand display has to be in a mode such as Empower, or Average MPG that always displays the EV indicator in white (and filled in blue when active) in order for the EV+ symbol to display when it is active.

Some display choices, especially MyView user-selected combinations cannot ever display EV or EV+:

post-1940-0-32817600-1412700102_thumb.jpg

Edited by kostby

Just checked left-hand displays on our 2013 SE.

Engage, Empower, Inform, Enlighten, and Vehicle Range screens all show an EV indicator at the bottom, so they will also automatically display EV+ when that mode engages,  provided the option is enabled in Settings, Driver Assist.

post-1940-0-05044300-1412708078_thumb.jpg

EV+ locations are apparently erased when the 12-volt battery dies or is disconnected. You can set a location by turning the car on and off 11 times in succession. Locations visited just once or twice a week will apparently not register automatically.

And some locations apparently do not have complete GPS satellite coverage from all directions. When approaching our home from the north, (car facing due south) EV+ doesn't turn on until we're within 200 feet of the garage. Approaching from the south or the east, EV+ turns on from about 1500 feet from the garage. There is no approach from the west.

Edited by kostby

I find EV+ very useful, as my home is at the bottom of a hill, and work is on an ancestral lake bed. EV+ lets me get to the top of the hill with minimal charge left, so the car sits overnight at a consistent SOC, and I can cruise around the plant looking for parking spots knowing the trip mileage is only going to improve.

The down side is that I pass the Ford dealer on my daily commute. After service appointments, EV+ shows up when I really want to run ICE at 1.5 bar to charge the battery entering a long flat stretch. You can't run ICE at 1.5 bar with EV+ engaged, and can't glide very far with low SOC... takes a couple weeks to forget.

Have fun,

Frank