Bought 2018 Ford C-Max Hybrid with included rodent

bill.anderson

I bought a 2018 C-Max 2 months ago, last week I was pushing buttons and sent the fan high. I heard and felt a vibration that shook the whole dash. The dealers shop said is was a blower motor and ordered one. Today I found out the vibration was caused by a rodent nest in the blower fan. This isn't covered by the warranty. I have lived in the South and have had multiple vehicles for over twenty years. I have never had a rodent breach the passenger compartment of any of multiple brands of vehicles.

Is this a design defect in the Escape and C-Max body styles?

Can anything be done to prevent this entry?

Blowing hot or cold air over rodent feces and urine cannot be healthy, ie: Hantavirus

Has anyone reported this source of infection  to the CDC?

bill a.

"I hates those meeces to pieces!" (if under 55yo might not find this funny)

I wonder if it was there when you bought it.  Perhaps it entered through the air intake which should have a screen over it but mice are very resourceful and can squeeze through very small openings.  

The air filter may mitigate a health risk though maybe the mice ate through that.

Edited by obob

I guess it does happen from time to time, especially if you live in the country.  My mom was having performance issues the first year after she bought her Corolla and when they took it to the shop the mechanics found a nest in the engine air intake.  If it's any consolation the car now has over 300K mi and is still running fine.

Neighbor down the street had a gopher chew on the wiring harnesses for her Jeep.

If the shop had to replace the blower maybe they can spray some cleaner through the ductwork?  I'm certainly not an expert but maybe new blower probably has more VOCs than the mice..

Edited by jestevens

Since the Escape and the C-Max have similar body plans I suspect that many have had rodents in their passenger cabins

I wonder if Ford has ever had a complaint filed against them with the National Institutes of Health or the CDC for a design defect or manufacturing failure that exposes potentially thousands of Escape or C-Max owners to a potentially  fatal rodent carried disease - hantavirus

Just wondering out loud whether a hungry lawyer might see an opportunity

Since the Escape and the C-Max have similar body plans I suspect that many have had rodents in their passenger cabins

I wonder if Ford has ever had a complaint filed against them with the National Institutes of Health or the CDC for a design defect or manufacturing failure that exposes potentially thousands of Escape or C-Max owners to a potentially  fatal rodent carried disease - hantavirus

I don't remember this being a problem for anyone else. :headscratch:  

Paul 

Well, Honda sells Rodent Tape*...

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/4019-2317.html

* I thought the tape might be to duct-tape their little mouths shut so they won't chew the wiring, but apparently the tape is designed to discourage rodents by giving them a taste of capsaicin. I wonder if rodents from south-of-the-border with a taste for chili pepper might actually take a liking to the stuff???

Well, Honda sells Rodent Tape*...

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/4019-2317.html

* I thought the tape might be to duct-tape their little mouths shut so they won't chew the wiring, but apparently the tape is designed to discourage rodents by giving them a taste of capsaicin. I wonder if rodents from south-of-the-border with a taste for chili pepper might actually take a liking to the stuff???

That's wild - but it won't work!  Capsaicin is used medically for pain relief.  So that chili love'n rodent won't fell the electric shock and will keep right on chewin'!

But who cares about a little rodent?  [True story] A good friend of ours took off in her Suburban and this big snake came up out from somewhere inside, went out the passenger window and across the hood!  No, she didn't wreck - kept her cool - took a picture of it!  I've seen the photo.  Big snake going right across the hood at the base of the windshield!

Edited by SnowStorm

• 1 year later...

Bill your not alone I live in Texas and I always park my 2016 ford c max hybrid in the semi detached garage, we leave our garage door open most of the day and at night close it when we put the car up.

we have had to bring our c max to the dealer so far 3 times for a mouse crawling up into the fan motor and dying from the fan  turning on,

each time it cost us 150.00 to have it removed and cleaned, at night when it cools off they find a warm spot to spend the cool evenings , 

if you find out how to fix this problem i would love to know it

• 1 month later...

How do you think the cabin gets fresh air? It has to come from somewhere - and a resourceful rodent will find that path, given enough time and need. This would be true of any car.

• 2 years later...

I have since found a solution to this occurrence, a preventative solution- moth balls (naphthalene) behind the cabin air filter. If you suspect you might have critters living in those air spaces playing a suitable Gun's N Rose's selection at maximum volume and base will drive them out. I used "Welcome to the Jungle".

If it’s any consolation to you/or a possible solution, the mice/and one rodent that were/are around here seem to enjoy our attic a lot more than the insides of our cars.  (I use humane traps and set free half way up the mountain when the road is open)…