Rear Tire Whine/Hum/Whirring

fleetwood95

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum!

I just finished some work on my car (1995 Cadillac Fleetwood) and I figured I should investigate a whirring noise on my wife's 2013 C Max Hybrid. 

When I was working on my rotors and repacking the bearings on my Cadillac it got me interested to research the strange noise I have heard coming from my wife's back passenger tire. I read over another thread in this forum discussing tires and alignment as a possible cause of the problem. 

The noise has been going on for a fairly long time, and it seems to get louder as speed increases. New tires were just installed and I believe a small balance and adjustment was done when they were installed. 

My concern is that the bearing may be going bad, and I don't want it to lock up on us and cause damage to the car or my wife! From my research, it looks like the car has a different type of bearing than my Cadillac (2 small bearings that you can pack by hand); It looks like a whole assembled unit that you have to take in and out while disconnect an ABS sensor (at least on the Ford Escape/Focus videos I watched). The part from Autozone that I checked out looked like ~$200 apiece!!!  :spend:  

I am sorry for my rambling, just trying to get all the details and things I have done/watched so far.

TLDR: Basic whirring noise in the back right tire region, seems to get louder with speed and lessen intensity when the gas is released regardless of speed. We are going on a ~700 trip this coming weekend and I don't want to get stranded if something blows out on the car, so we may have to take the Caddy! Please help!

Thank you so much. 

Paul, I have watched some videos on how to tell if a bearing is bad. Jack the car up and wiggle the tire around a bit. If it moves around when pushed, the bearing may be bad?

The bearings on these cars seem like they're a whole assembly and hub. It's different than my Cadillac which just uses small bearings inside the rotors itself. Is this correct? How much is a replacement part? 

I don't want to go willy nilly replacing stuff, but it seems like whirring noises generally are bearings. 

Thank you. :worship:

Paul, I have watched some videos on how to tell if a bearing is bad. Jack the car up and wiggle the tire around a bit. If it moves around when pushed, the bearing may be bad?

The bearings on these cars seem like they're a whole assembly and hub. It's different than my Cadillac which just uses small bearings inside the rotors itself. Is this correct? How much is a replacement part? 

I don't want to go willy nilly replacing stuff, but it seems like whirring noises generally are bearings. 

Thank you. :worship:

That's what I would do. CV6Z-1104-F or Motorcraft number HUB220 will be your part number, around $137

Good Luck

Paul

Great thanks, I'll try that! If it moves around and has lots of play, we can assume it's the bearing? 

How difficult is it for one to replace this part themselves? Ouch, that's a killer. Any place you recommend buying it? Should they be replaced in pairs?

We're leaving town this weekend so it will be a little time before I can check it. 

What else could it be besides a bearing?

Thanks!