C-max sales decline in UK

djc

I was wondering if the decline in C-max sales in the US was because of the hybrid drive-train.  Or perhaps early EPA efficiency woes.

But it seems C-max sales in the UK have seen a similar decline, and over a longer range of years - - down every years, and off nearly 50% from the 2011 sales high:

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/ford/ford-cmax/

So UK C-max sales have slid every year since before the US version was introduced.  As far as I know, there is no hybrid version of the Euro C-max, so it is not a drop in demand for hybrids that has caused UK C-max sales to slump.    And Ford as a brand is doing well in the UK, with sales rising as the overall vehicle market there has declined.  And as far as I know C-max and other car sales are not being lost to pickups or SUVs in the UK, whereas this has been a factor in the US.

So it seems there is something about the car configuration or style or perceived value or competition that has caused a sales drop over the last 6 to 7 years.

• 4 months later...

With continued decline of C-max sales in Europe, Ford is apparently considering ending C-max production there.  I believe there was no hybrid version of the European C-max, so the poor sales indicates a relative lack of buyers for other aspects of the car, which Ford calls an MPV (multi-purpose vehicle).

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180727/ANE/180729783/ford-seeks-european-profitability-with-shift-to-suvs-vans

European sales of Ford's SUVs and commercial vehicles remain good and profitable.