How many EV miles on your Hybrid?

Tennesseecmax

Hey all! 3 time Prius owner here, I've owned the cmax for about 5 month's now. Such a fun car to drive, I love it!

I think its super cool how it tells you how many EV miles you've driven over the lifetime in the 2013 ford cmax. I'm amazed how many miles mine has done over the last 109,000 miles.

My car has 42,000 miles of all electric driving. Isn't that amazing! Only a lifetime mpg of 39.5 so electric driving doesn't exactly mean super fuel efficient, but it does mean smooth and fun!

Agree, the EV mile totals are indeed amazing!  Before getting the C-Max I would never have thought my car would go over 40% of the time with the engine off!  I'm at 152k miles and 64k EV with lifetime mileage at 49.0 mpg.  My yearly average to date (about 11 months so far) is at 51.3 mpg.  Unless you have lots of short trips or drive really fast, you can do a lot better than 39 mpg year-round average.  There's plenty of info on this forum about how to do it.  The other thing that came as a surprise is how nice it is to have a transmission that never shifts gears.  I love it.

I've been a Hybrid driver for years and I've been very active (still am) on prius chat. But I just don't get amazing gas milage in this car. The reason being is I don't have LRR tires, and I drive on the highway a lot. I set the cruise to 70 mph

Using OEM Michelin's will improve MPG's noticeably over any other tire.

Paul

I've been a Hybrid driver for years and I've been very active (still am) on prius chat. But I just don't get amazing gas milage in this car. The reason being is I don't have LRR tires, and I drive on the highway a lot. I set the cruise to 70 mph

Another point is that the C-Max should be compared to the Prius V, not the "standard" Prius sedan.  The C-Max is taller and higher at the back (more like an SUV) than the Prius sedan, both of which hurt aerodynamics.  Its really only fair to compare to the V.  Anyway, I'm happy with 50 mpg, more headroom, ability to haul large items, more fun, etc!

• 1 month later...

I just checked My LifeTime Score and my EV is maxed out at 99,999 miles. :drop:  With 195,068 mi. total.  I guess I need to  reset Life Time Score. :headscratch:

Paul

Lazy programmers!  Maybe the real value is available through ForScan??  It seems a bummer to reset Lifetime - or you could record EV miles at every fill-up.

It's hard to believe a cmax has been driven 100,000 miles on pure electricity with such a small battery. Think of much power has come from that small lithium ion pack! That's a lot of wear and tear on a 1.5 KW pack. That's a true testament to fords hybrid tech. I can tell you a prius won't have any where near 100,000 of ev miles when it gets to 200,000.. Maybe 30,000.. But hey the prius is still awesome and gets great mpg. I had 3 of em!

It's hard to believe a cmax has been driven 100,000 miles on pure electricity with such a small battery. Think of much power has come from that small lithium ion pack! That's a lot of wear and tear on a 1.5 KW pack. That's a true testament to fords hybrid tech. I can tell you a prius won't have any where near 100,000 of ev miles when it gets to 200,000.. Maybe 30,000.. But hey the prius is still awesome and gets great mpg. I had 3 of em!

IIRC CMAX has a larger battery, two electric motors with 60 hp total and different software.  Prius can't do it because HVB is smaller and isn't charged as fast as CMAX Hybrid HVB can.  Prius ICE is 1.8 L  98hp vs CMAX's 2L 144hp. Then the Prius electric motor (36hp)  can't accelerate above 15 - 20 mph or maintain speed at 40+ mph like the CMAX can with top speed of 85mph. :) BTW I occasionally drive my Daughter 2011 Prius.

Paul  

Ford pays Toyota for use of the Prius drive train design (elements?).

Both Ford and Toyota license parts of the technology from each other, both own some of the patents needed. I don't believe any money is paid either direction, that the cross-licensing is roughly "equal value."

Edited by raadsel

• 2 weeks later...

This is only our first week with a 2018 C-Max Hybrid.  We are seeing 50.7mpg with 60% EV use after five days of commuting (45 minutes each way on suburban 45-55mph roads with stop lights and stretches of open road cruising).  Yesterday I even managed to climb some rolling hills with it staying in EV mode (momentum seemed to help).

Our "coach" scores for acceleration, braking, and cruising are blue most of the time, with only occasional amber moments such as when entering a freeway.

We are thrilled with these numbers after reading the sour grapes reviews online that C-max averages in the 30mpg range. 

The greatest frustration so far is with other drivers who speed up and slow down erratically, making it hard to plan ahead with de-cel and braking.