New Touchscreen problem

erwhitham

Has anyone experienced this: car will not move into ready mode upon push button start and touchscreen remains dark. Upon restart, a message comes on the screen (in place of Ford icon) which shows the words System Check. Then a line moves across the screen much like I've seen on my IPad when a game is preparing to initiate. Soon all is back to normal. This has occurred 3 times--if I remember correctly, not after an overnight period and not related to my reverse car lags. I phoned my salesman to set up an appt. for initial oil change and remote start installation. He said he hadn't heard of this happening but would have it checked out. Can any of you tech savvy owners help out? I'm rather sure I started the car correctly. I've owned 2 Priuses without similar incidents.

Has anyone experienced this: car will not move into ready mode upon push button start and touchscreen remains dark. Upon restart, a message comes on the screen (in place of Ford icon) which shows the words System Check. Then a line moves across the screen much like I've seen on my IPad when a game is preparing to initiate. Soon all is back to normal. This has occurred 3 times--if I remember correctly, not after an overnight period and not related to my reverse car lags. I phoned my salesman to set up an appt. for initial oil change and remote start installation. He said he hadn't heard of this happening but would have it checked out. Can any of you tech savvy owners help out? I'm rather sure I started the car correctly. I've owned 2 Priuses without similar incidents.

Can you post a photo of this error?

Mine has restarted 3 times also, 2500 mi, black screen, I believe it is the computer restarting to refresh it's systems. I saw a small old fashioned Microsoft window for a couple of seconds in the process, upon completion, all worked fine, and nothing wrong to start with.

Mine has restarted 3 times also, 2500 mi, black screen, I believe it is the computer restarting to refresh it's systems. I saw a small old fashioned Microsoft window for a couple of seconds in the process, upon completion, all worked fine, and nothing wrong to start with.

Can you describe what you call "a small old fashioned Microsoft window"? If we're talking about an identical experience (twice for me), why is it happening?

You are probably seeing the "Performing Scheduled Maintenance" screen.   This occurs when MyFordTouch system reboots itself. 

There are several reasons it might reboot itself.  It might be due to a cell phone connecting that hasn't been updated in a while, or a cell phone that hasn't been rebooted in a while (its recommended to reboot cell phones once a week). 

It may me be due to too many things happening when the system is trying to start up, things like the address books downloading, cell phone connecting, the driver pressing buttons, etc.  You can turn off the automatic address book download feature to reduce the number of things happening upon start up.

It may be because that's what computers do sometimes. There is another update of MyFordTouch that's available soon that will improve the system more.

However, the MyFordTouch system is separate from the driving portion of the vehicle, so an error on the touch screen won't impact the ability to start the car or drive the car.

If the car won't go into ready mode, you may not have your foot on the brake when you pressed the start button.

Regularly rebooting cellphones and mp3 players that are connected to MyFord Touch helps ensure that the devices don't cause interoperability issues between the device and MyFord Touch.  Those issues could be things like Bluetooth problems, rebooting issues or issues with responsiveness.

If that's the case than MFT will be the first infotainment system across 3 manufacturers which blames the phone.

I have had GM, Chrysler, and VW paired with all kinds of phones for years.

If MFT is this poor then it certainly deserves all it's bad press. I won't be quiet about it.

Blaming the phones is just poor excuses, considering my phone pairs with tons of other infotainment and hands free devices just fine - including my motorcycle, a home phone system, various home speakers and a $7 speakerphone.

If MFT is not stable by now, Ford deserves every ounce of bad publicity.

I pick up my car in the next couple days. I hope MFT doesn't make me feel bad for dropping $35k on my first Ford in 20 years...

Whoaaa, no need to go into attack mode, I'm just passing along generally accepted practices from the cellphone industry.

CNET: iPhone maintenance: reboot regularly   http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115498-233.html#!

iPhone Quick Maintenance Tips: Try to reboot your iPhone regularly, mostly because it works similar to a small computer. Once or twice a week should be sufficient. If there are software glitches this should also be the first place you go.  http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/iphone/articles/23121.aspx

Samsung Galaxy S3 Restart your phone regularly http://www.s3forums.com/forum/galaxy-s3-os-discussions/2833-restart-your-phone-regularly-2.html

There are apps available that will routinely reboot the phone.

Here is a poll of over 11,000 Android users, the most common reboot schedule is once per week.

How often do you reboot your Android phone?

Once a day.  19.95%  (2,260 votes)  

Several times a day.  4.38%  (496 votes)  

Once a week.  42.03%  (4,762 votes)  

Battery pull only when necessary.  28.63%  (3,244 votes)  

A bunch, but I'm a hacker.  5%  (567 votes)  

Total Votes: 11,329

Edited by Maximus

None of those are from manufacturers of the phones. In fact a lot of the "advice" is just from users.

Well, as a user of more than 8 models of iOS phones, 1 Samsung phone, and countless other tech devices - and as an IT professional, I say that rebooting is nothing but cargo-cult behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult#Metaphorical_uses_of_the_term

I almost never reboot, even my Windows PCs...

If that's the case than MFT will be the first infotainment system across 3 manufacturers which blames the phone.

If MFT is this poor then it certainly deserves all it's bad press. I won't be quiet about it.

Blaming the phones is just poor excuses, considering my phone pairs with tons of other infotainment and hands free devices just fine - including my motorcycle, a home phone system, various home speakers and a $7 speakerphone.

I pick up my car in the next couple days. I hope MFT doesn't make me feel bad for dropping $35k on my first Ford in 20 years...

You may have 3.5.1 installed on delivery. Manufacturers usually load an upcoming release prior to customers getting updates.

I have had few problems but I updated to the latest firmware from syncmyride.com within a few days of ownership.

You will find some usability issues that are annoying, like defaulting to home screen if you stop for gas.

You may have 3.5.1 installed on delivery. Manufacturers usually load an upcoming release prior to customers getting updates.

I have had few problems but I updated to the latest firmware from syncmyride.com within a few days of ownership.

You will find some usability issues that are annoying, like defaulting to home screen if you stop for gas.

I phoned my salesman to set up an appt. for initial oil change and remote start installation. 

I also had to bring my C-Max back for the remote installation.  Was told it was a 2-3 hour job.  8 hours later, I was driving home in a loaner car.  The dealer said they encountered some particulars installing the system in the C-Max.  This was their 1st one to do.   

I do like where they put the remote antenna, at the edge of the windshield just in front of the passenger visor.  I never see it.  Another owner showed his mounted at the bottom of the rear view mirror.  That one you'll see all day long. 

I also had to bring my C-Max back for the remote installation. Was told it was a 2-3 hour job. 8 hours later, I was driving home in a loaner car. The dealer said they encountered some particulars installing the system in the C-Max. This was their 1st one to do.

I do like where they put the remote antenna, at the edge of the windshield just in front of the passenger visor. I never see it. Another owner showed his mounted at the bottom of the rear view mirror. That one you'll see all day long.

Can you post a photo of the install?

remember your system is microsoft. so from time to time a reboot will happen. either a driver has stopped working, or firmware might be an issue, so the system will have to reboot. anyone from ford on these forums, have any info about firmware updating, on these pc's?

as cool as the ford system is, i would much rather be able to take my android nexus 7 tab, and use that in the dash. the apps are WAY better, and as we all know the google map system is the best. ask anyone who had the new apple maps....

by the way, i build high end computers, so i am quite familiar with m$ weirdness.... so far in my max the system has been stable, but does have lag issues, at times.

remember your system is microsoft. so from time to time a reboot will happen. either a driver has stopped working, or firmware might be an issue, so the system will have to reboot. anyone from ford on these forums, have any info about firmware updating, on these pc's?

as cool as the ford system is, i would much rather be able to take my android nexus 7 tab, and use that in the dash. the apps are WAY better, and as we all know the google map system is the best. ask anyone who had the new apple maps....

by the way, i build high end computers, so i am quite familiar with m$ weirdness.... so far in my max the system has been stable, but does have lag issues, at times.

I don't want to start a flame-war, but I am so tired of reading this.  I have seen it time and time again.  Just because it says Microsoft does not make it suck.  Software is never a perfect science.  As a software developer, I have had extensive experience in Linux and Microsoft environments, and they both have bugs, they both have weirdness, and they both are not perfect.  They are both massively complex.

Good point. YMMV. I've spent more time in the last 3 months messing around with, updating, rebooting and troubleshooting my iPhone 5 than I've spent in 2+ years on my supposedly crap Windows 7 PC. Every device has its own processes, for better or worse, and I don't think any one maker is necessarily "better" than any other.

Heck, the only reason I'm online right now is that I've spent the last 40 minutes while my Apple devices gets their third tedious update in as many months. My Microsoft stuff does all that stuff (backing up, updating) transparently, reliably, and usually while I'm asleep.

I also had to bring my C-Max back for the remote installation.  Was told it was a 2-3 hour job.  8 hours later, I was driving home in a loaner car.  The dealer said they encountered some particulars installing the system in the C-Max.  This was their 1st one to do.   

I do like where they put the remote antenna, at the edge of the windshield just in front of the passenger visor.  I never see it.  Another owner showed his mounted at the bottom of the rear view mirror.  That one you'll see all day long. 

Can you post how your final remote installation turned out and how the system is working. My date is the 27th and I was told it would take a day and I'd get a loaner.

My problem with Microsoft is their UI.

Their reliability has improved drastically in the par few years, my Windows 7 has been rock solid.

But they just don't get UI sometimes.

Our XBox interface is the most terrible thing. I have tried to spend money with on XBox Live and Microsoft makes it really really hard.

By comparison Apple makes it easy for me to give them money.

Microsoft just makes us jump through weird hoops and twists us into strange contortions.

But I am pro Microsoft now. Now they are the little guy again... :)

I also had to bring my C-Max back for the remote installation. Was told it was a 2-3 hour job. 8 hours later, I was driving home in a loaner car. The dealer said they encountered some particulars installing the system in the C-Max. This was their 1st one to do.

I do like where they put the remote antenna, at the edge of the windshield just in front of the passenger visor. I never see it. Another owner showed his mounted at the bottom of the rear view mirror. That one you'll see all day long.

Can you post how your final remote installation turned out and how the system is working. My date is the 27th and I was told it would take a day and I'd get a loaner.

Also, was this the Bi-directional one? I'm the guy with it on my rear-view mirror. I'm in the process of trying to get it switched to bi-directional and the antennae moved.

Also, was this the Bi-directional one? I'm the guy with it on my rear-view mirror. I'm in the process of trying to get it switched to bi-directional and the antennae moved.

I have been curious. What is a "bi-directional" remote start?

I have a vision in my head of the car starting your key fob... :)

Isn't it sort of a unidirectional thing? I push the button on the fob, it tells the car to start...

The Bi-Directional aspect gives you the ability to know that the car has received the signal.  When you start the car from the fob, a signal is sent to the car.  With the bi-directional setup, a signal is sent back to the remote and a light will flash to confirm the car has started.  I have had both types of setups in prior cars.  I will only have bi-directional setups installed now.  There's nothing like hitting the remote to start the car from the bedroom in the middle of winter to only find out that it never started.  It really doesn't start the day off right that way.