Seeking FE/mpg mod updates...what's worth doing?

Hi-

New owner of 2013 cmax sel (375k miles!) I've been driving electric since 2004 (zap zebra, 2013 leaf, 2015 leaf) and circumstances changed. I'm so excited to have this hybrid, and have learned a lot from this forum. Thank you to everyone who contributes with questions and answers.

My radio is putting out no sound, so I'm installing a used module tomorrow once it's delivered. I just checked the cabin filter, and it's filthy. One is on order. Oil changes look good, car was used as an airport shuttle, almost all highway miles.

I'm using it mainly in San Francisco to commute, dropping my son at school, then a few miles to my job. (i will be taking it on some longer trips to camp, etc, but that'll be only 3-4 times per year.) I'm averaging around 38.3mpg, using hyper-miling techniques mentioned here, that I've been using in all my different ev's, one with no regen, and the Leaf's with varying regen.

I have done the grill mod (I used pipe insulation on the middle and lower grills.) Is it recommended to also do the top grill? SF is pretty moderate, and if I go to warmer climes, I can remove some foam.

What other mods are worth it? I have seen Paul's wheel covers and am intrigued but a little unclear on how he fastened them. And, I saw an image in his gallery with the rear wheel well half covered, which also looked good. But, have these proven to help in the long run? For mainly stop and go city driving, is it worth it?

I also saw somewhere else about using 3m clear bra tape stuff to seal gaps between body panels to help with aerodynamics. Worth it? What else has anyone tried?

Let it be known that I hate gasoline, even if it allows me freedom to move around. Nothing is pure, not ev's, not bicycles, etc. But, I hate burning fossil fuels and polluting, so it's worth it to me to get even another mile or 2 mpg by modding. If it's safe (caps won't fly off etc.)

Thanks for any advice and ideas!

WOW! That is alot of miles, now we know how long a 2013 CMAX can last.  Grill Covers are the best thing to do first. Top Grill Cover isn't necessary in warmer climates. Other things are:

1. Make sure you have EOM Michelin Energy Saver tires with 50 psi in the tires.  Worth 2 mpg.

2. I'm surprised that your fuel injectors have lasted this long, use NOS Octane Booster in the tank when you fillup with Premium next time. Worth 2 -4 mpg.

NOSOctanebooster

3. Wheel covers are worth around 1.5 - 2 mpg with rear fender covers. ​Wheel covers need to be 18 3/8" in diameter and around .17" thick.  I use foam window seal 3/16" x  3/8" from Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart.  I have had some problem with the foam coming out.  I machined a aluminum plug with 1/4-20 x 1 3/4" screw with fender washer to go through LEXAN then 1/2" x 1/2 nylon 1/4" hole bushing. Screw is threaded into aluminum plug.  

Wheel well cover

4. Checkout "How to get Great Gas Mileage in a CMAX/FFH" again to make sure we have covered all the bases.

5. ScanGaugeII is good for monitoring WT, TFT, SOC and HVB temp.post-143-0-19783800-1523244964_thumb.jpg

You should be getting atleast 45 miles per gallon. BTW your ODO is off 1.8% on the mileage with the Michelin tires so you gain about .5 mpg when using actual fillup gallons.

Let us know how things workout. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Okay, thanks for the quick reply! Followup questions:

1-the car came with basically new Delinte d2 tires. Per the website, they are formulated for low rolling resistance, but I cannot find any comparison/specs anywhere. Unless I could sell them, I don't think it's worth it to buy the michelin til I need tires again. On my last leaf, I replaced the fast-wearing ecopias (lasted around 21k I think) and I'll have to see what I replaced with. Can't remember right now...but did read that replacing worn down ecopias with even new ecopias reduced mpg just because of the added weight of original rubber on a tire. :)

2-is this recommendation for each fill up? Premium and the additive? Or just a "clean it out" technique? (By the way, the guys I bought from ran all ford hybrids for the shuttle service, escapes, etc. This was the only c-max. They added "Motor Purr" at every oil change and the engines lasted 750k in general. The odo's broke at around 550k...!) So, I'll probably continue that procedure.

3-i still don't understand the materials you used for the covers. Is it like lexan or is it a film? Foam? Where does the foam go? And...I don't have access to machining tools so will have to consider simpler methods found on other mod sites maybe...

4-will look at that.

5-used to have a similar gadget in my modded xebra(added a 7th battery to my 6 original lead acids..) Does it use the plug where the engine codes are read, though? My insurance is per mile and already uses that port to track me like big brother, but it's cheaper by the month. If it doesn't use that port I'll consider it. (Do you know how the oem/my view temp gauge corresponds to farenheit? Like, once it reaches the "sweet spot" on the thermometer icon, what is the lower/higher temp range there?)

Thanks again!

Julie

Okay, thanks for the quick reply! Followup questions:

1-the car came with basically new Delinte d2 tires. Per the website, they are formulated for low rolling resistance, but I cannot find any comparison/specs anywhere. Unless I could sell them, I don't think it's worth it to buy the michelin til I need tires again. On my last leaf, I replaced the fast-wearing ecopias (lasted around 21k I think) and I'll have to see what I replaced with. Can't remember right now...but did read that replacing worn down ecopias with even new ecopias reduced mpg just because of the added weight of original rubber on a tire. :)

2-is this recommendation for each fill up? Premium and the additive? Or just a "clean it out" technique? I use Premium all the time and only use the NOS Octane Booster  every 10th tank to clean injectors.(By the way, the guys I bought from ran all ford hybrids for the shuttle service, escapes, etc. This was the only c-max. They added "Motor Purr" at every oil change and the engines lasted 750k in general. The odo's broke at around 550k...!) So, I'll probably continue that procedure.

3-i still don't understand the materials you used for the covers. Is it like lexan or is it a film? Foam? Where does the foam go? And...I don't have access to machining tools so will have to consider simpler methods found on other mod sites maybe...I use LEXAN Plastic, but for city driving I don't think there is that much improvement.

4-will look at that.

5-used to have a similar gadget in my modded xebra(added a 7th battery to my 6 original lead acids..) Does it use the plug where the engine codes are read, though? My insurance is per mile and already uses that port to track me like big brother, but it's cheaper by the month. If it doesn't use that port I'll consider it. (Do you know how the oem/my view temp gauge corresponds to farenheit? Like, once it reaches the "sweet spot" on the thermometer icon, what is the lower/higher temp range there?) The CMAX has two OBD ports, one by your left knee, behind the plastic panel and second one under neigh steering shaft and dash.  

Thanks again!

Julie

Good Luck :) 

Paul

Good info, thanks!

I don't have all service records on the car, just the most recent showing the 10k oil changes and some other part replacement.

For something like air filter and spark plug/wire changes, would this help any mpg concerns? I did read the thread of difficulty in doing air filter and that it doesn't affect mpg, but what about spark etc?

(I know this isn't a mod thing,but is a possible mpg thing...)

Thanks!

The air filter is a royal pain to replace and I haven't replaced my spark plugs yet, I have about 98k ICE miles and I think platinum plugs last 100k mi.   Mine seems to be running fine.  To bad you don't have repair records. :sad:  Plugs could make a difference.

Paul

Just watched a video for the air filter. Not quick, but also doesn't look complicated at all. I may crack it open and see how it looks. If it looks like my cabin filter, I'll be glad to change it. Ordering air filter now!

Can't find any videos of the spark plug change. I'm half scared to mess with it, knowing that plugs can break, get corroded onto the block, get stripped, etc. Why mess with a good thing? Unless, the plugs are crappy, the wires old and tired. Since my car has a lot of engine use from freeway driving, and I don't have any record of a spark plug change, I feel like it might be a good thing to change them. Will keep looking for schematics etc...

Got my new/used audio module installed today. Took about 10 minutes and came with a free motivational cd. Hahahaha.

I agree with above, you really have to tug,pull hard and there are alot of sharp metal stuff to seriously cut, scratch your fingers and hands, it is a very tight fit.  :drop:  :gaah:

And then you have to get it lined up right to screw it back together. :sad:  Watched the video and his didn't fit as tight as mine. :headscratch: His didn't look that dirty either.

Paul

Bah, who cares about gloves. I almost never use them doing anything. Only time I use them is when it involves blood or other contaminants. Gloves always make me feel uncomfortable. Plus, it wouldn't be the same without all the blood, sweat, and tears! My car is my labor of love (and hate sometimes).

I've been wanting to get that, plus the engine cover off since it's dirty down there. I just don't have the patience. And yes, I clean my engine bay.

Bah, who cares about gloves. I almost never use them doing anything. Only time I use them is when it involves blood or other contaminants. Gloves always make me feel uncomfortable. Plus, it wouldn't be the same without all the blood, sweat, and tears! My car is my labor of love (and hate sometimes).

I've been wanting to get that, plus the engine cover off since it's dirty down there. I just don't have the patience. And yes, I clean my engine bay.

Boy at 375k mi. the ICE cover is got to be scary dirty. :drop: 

Paul 

The filter is on order, can't wait to see what the old one looks like.

I forgot to mention re: aerodynamics, that I'm missing the passenger side plastic wheel well cover in front. I assume this let's a lot of air get confused on that side. I'd like to replace it, seeing the part for $30-40 online (plus shipping...) I got rid of all my jacks, stands, lug wrench, etc when I got rid of my first ev and started driving zero maintenance leafs. Anyone have experience with this part and think I should do it myself somehow, or find a cheap shop to install for me?

I can't believe it's $40 to get the carfax. That seems outrageous to me. There are 14 records on the carfax report, and I'm assuming those are mostly from early on, recall stuff. I think they did their own oil changes etc. The last thing it was at Ford for recently was the gas tank flap thing got replaced, and the radio troubleshooting. I do have a few receipts from small shops for some suspension work and tire replacements that I'll compile next time I'm sitting around in the car for whatever reason.

I really don't want to spend $40 but am still tempted...

Also read the gas pod thread (s) last night and did decide to spring for them. Can't hurt and if it helps, awesome!

Every other week, my daily commute starts with a cold engine, up 4 steep blocks to drop my son at school, then a rather leisurely 5 miles downhill to my work. I guess I'm glad (I read more threads) that I "get" to warm the ice up first thing, but I know I take something like 1mpg off because of the ice use those mornings. Without that trek, I'm getting about 39.3mpg vs 38.3 in my unscientific testing.

Okay. Did a vin check with "vincheck.com" for $6.95. That's more like it.

It was 11 recalls and various title in process/notification that the vehicle had been registered as a taxi (airport shuttle in actuality. Again, 90% freeway vehicle...)

So, for the recalls, can I call ford with the vin and see if all have been handled already? I'm hoping they have...

Interestingly, there was no transmission recall (or was that just an issue that wasn't a recall?) And, no 12v recall either. Those are the two I fully expected to see and didn't. The guy who handled my purchase etc "thought" maybe the transmission had been replaced but wasn't sure, since there were 9 different ford's in use for the company.

There were 2 recalls for door latches, one for seatbelt, one for headliner, 4 for airbags, 2 for ignition/alarm, one for front seat recliner.

No accidents etc, although from my reading, those often don't get reported one way or another. Not sure how the car lost its wheel well cover but that will probably remain a mystery...

Whoa that's a c-max with a lot of miles! Awesome! Still original hybrid battery? The 2013's have a "life time summary "every time you shut the car off, it gives lifetime all electric miles. I'd be very curious as to how many miles have been done without the ICE.

I've spent 10 min playing with settings and am not seeing that lifetime total. All I get is 00000 for my last trip (turning car on and off...) also can't find anything in the manual....I'm curious too!