Seeking FE/mpg mod updates...what's worth doing?

I purchased gas pods. Last I saw was someone thought 1.5 inches from the back was best, but was that atop the hatch or measuring from where the hatch starts on the hood? Anyone know? Thx

My Gas Pods are 2.5" approx. from the rear of Gas Pod to the back of hatch roof line.post-143-0-15569700-1523803273_thumb.jpg

Paul

Thanks! I'm currently dealing with a broken cell phone screen and a frozen computer after the attempted windows 10 "upgrade." keeping up with this board on my son's whole which I am grateful for but hate compared to mine. Sanity is being able to keep adjusting the c-max. I'm up to 40 mpg with very gentle driving and no 4 blocks uphill for the last week or so. Pray for me... ;)

Once you turn the car off after you drive it gives a trip summary on the left hand screen next to the speedometer. After about 15 seconds its switches to lifetime summary, or you can skip the wait and use the down key on the left side of the steering wheel.

Tried that. OK button did nothing and the screen times out after 15 seconds or so only showing me my last trip results. Hmmm

Tried that. OK button did nothing and the screen times out after 15 seconds or so only showing me my last trip results. Hmmm

Don't hit OK, Just shut off car and watch the left Smart Gauge Screen, first you should see your current trip results and in about 15 sec Life Time should show up otherwise hit up or down buttons once and LifeTime Score should show up.post-143-0-69383300-1523829370_thumb.jpg

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Looking at forum posts and it looks like they discontinued this summary after June 2013 production of the c-max. Boooo.

Though I think they might have added another trip meter that can be used as the Lifetime summary.

And the 2013 lifetime summary can be reset like a trip meter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all-

I'm back...went through quite a process to get a new password since my last phone got wet. Here are my updates:

Changed air filter. Not as bad as I thought, no cuts, tears, nor much cursing. Filter didn't look too bad. I glanced around for spark plugs but nothing obvious that I felt comfortable diving into.

I also installed the gas pods.

I inflated my tires to within 1lb of sidewall max.

I removed the dealer-installed Thule roof rack that came with the car and sold it for $35 tonight.

I used 3m clear bra tape to seal the gaps around my front headlights, along with the seams on the body that are at the front and rear (non-operable seams.)

I've gone from 37.5 to 40.9mpg after all that.

I ordered more 3m tape, with the idea of sealing off the fog light recesses and also would like to remove the pipe insulation from the lower two front grills and cover with the tape/film instead. I don't think I need insulation as much as to block the wind. Agree?

Correct, your blocking the wind. 

Just keep in mind the most significant factor will always be your driving style. The benefit of incremental improvements is magnified as you use less fuel. My favorite example is 91E0, ethanol-free premium fuel. It has shown me no benefit in highway driving, where I get 35-40 MPG, yet I see about a 4 MPG improvement on my back road commuting route, 54.8 to 58.6 MPG with the "better" fuel. I expect that, were I achieving 60 MPG in highway driving, better fuel would, again, be beneficial. 

Have fun,

Frank

Hey, all-

I'm back...went through quite a process to get a new password since my last phone got wet. Here are my updates:

Changed air filter. Not as bad as I thought, no cuts, tears, nor much cursing. Filter didn't look too bad. I glanced around for spark plugs but nothing obvious that I felt comfortable diving into.

I also installed the gas pods.

I inflated my tires to within 1lb of sidewall max.

I removed the dealer-installed Thule roof rack that came with the car and sold it for $35 tonight.

I used 3m clear bra tape to seal the gaps around my front headlights, along with the seams on the body that are at the front and rear (non-operable seams.)

I've gone from 37.5 to 40.9mpg after all that.

I ordered more 3m tape, with the idea of sealing off the fog light recesses and also would like to remove the pipe insulation from the lower two front grills and cover with the tape/film instead. I don't think I need insulation as much as to block the wind. Agree?  You need to heat up the ICE as quickly as possible and Aerodynamics come into play also so a smooth hard surface like my Grill Covers is best. You never need to uncover the center grill and all cooling can be done removing bottom cover.  Grill Covers do more to improve FE than anything else, I have mine on pretty much all time, but I have a separate cover on top of lower Grill Cover that covers up 5 x 1.5" holes for around town and remove it for HWY driving when ICE gets up to 230*F.

Lower GC with holes

Paul
Edited by ptjones

Well, I feel a little stupid but also excited to have figured out that my mpg can be found in different ways. I've been looking at the ongoing readout on the empower screen option (finally hit 41mpg today!), but today I checked the trip 2 readout, which I had reset at my last (2nd!) gas-up. (The pump shut off early, at 3/4 tank for some reason, which is actually what I wanted and what I did at my first fill-up, preferring not to carry the extra fuel weight of a full tank.) Anyway...the trip 2 says I'm getting 43.7 mpg! Yay!

Another dumb question, then: what is the empower mpg reading from? Some accumulation but what accumulation? Is that a lifetime reading?

Well, I feel a little stupid but also excited to have figured out that my mpg can be found in different ways. I've been looking at the ongoing readout on the empower screen option (finally hit 41mpg today!), but today I checked the trip 2 readout, which I had reset at my last (2nd!) gas-up. (The pump shut off early, at 3/4 tank for some reason, which is actually what I wanted and what I did at my first fill-up, preferring not to carry the extra fuel weight of a full tank.) Anyway...the trip 2 says I'm getting 43.7 mpg! Yay!

Another dumb question, then: what is the empower mpg reading from? Some accumulation but what accumulation? Is that a lifetime reading?

The Empower MPG just depends on when it was last reset. To reset, just hold down the "OK" button while you are on that screen and keep holding it down. You'll see "Resetting" with a line underneath -- hold the button until the line fills up and the message disappears (about 3 seconds). I believe there may be a limit to how long that MPG will "work", that it is limited to several thousand miles (can't recall the exact number, but a year or two worth of data for most people).

From the last time you reset it with pushing down the OK button for five seconds or when it goes to zero. I always reset it when I reset trip gauge.

Paul 

Just watched a video for the air filter. Not quick, but also doesn't look complicated at all. I may crack it open and see how it looks. If it looks like my cabin filter, I'll be glad to change it. Ordering air filter now!

Can't find any videos of the spark plug change. I'm half scared to mess with it, knowing that plugs can break, get corroded onto the block, get stripped, etc. Why mess with a good thing? Unless, the plugs are crappy, the wires old and tired. Since my car has a lot of engine use from freeway driving, and I don't have any record of a spark plug change, I feel like it might be a good thing to change them. Will keep looking for schematics etc...

Got my new/used audio module installed today. Took about 10 minutes and came with a free motivational cd. Hahahaha.

The hardest thing to change is the cabin filter.  If you can do that the plugs and the air filter are super easy.  You have to lift the engine cover off in order to get to the air filter.  The plugs are right there.  a deep socket set will help you get the outer plug coils off.  The plugs are easy to change.  Good luck with everything.