4 New Tires in under 8,000 miles :(

Hi everyone, so went to the dealer for a shaking coming from the rear at higher speeds. Looks like the tires have worn out in the rear. Again. This is the second time in five months and only 4,000 miles. They're going to be pulling some strings and trying to get it pinned down. 

They aren't really sure what the issue is, but I'm not going to pay for another set of tires, when those tires were perfectly fine back in November. All-new set from when I bought the car in June :(

Was talking to the salesman while I was in there and mentioned that I loved the C-max. He said every single person who came in there with one said the exact same thing. That it's the best car they've ever owned. I'd agree with them if it wasn't for the darn tires :(

Something is definitely wrong!  Typically, it's the front tires that wear out quickly on a front drive car.  I read somewhere once that if you don't rotate your tires on a front drive car, the front ones will wear out very quickly, and the rear tires will last 100K+ miles.  Please let us know what you learn.

Well, they said that one of the new tires had a manufacturing defect and will be replaced under warranty. The other one (rear left) wore out the same as my prior set. I keep telling them it is the suspension, but they just say it's the tires. Definitely something wrong, they just don't know what... very frustrating!

It has definitely gotten worse in the mean-time since I was in on Monday. Had to take a friend to a doctor's appointment, and even on a smooth road it felt like I was in a tractor. Very scary! I didn't even want to go above 55.

What tires do you have on the car? Using OEM Michelins they should last 60k+, Think I'll hit 80K on my third set. It is important to use 50psi to get even wear or the edges will wear faster.  Take a picture of the tire so we can see what is going on.post-143-0-55206200-1523629143_thumb.jpg

Rear upper control arm isn't adjustable and has to be replaced with new one to change camber. This could be the problem.

Paul

Well, they said that one of the new tires had a manufacturing defect and will be replaced under warranty. The other one (rear left) wore out the same as my prior set. I keep telling them it is the suspension, but they just say it's the tires. Definitely something wrong, they just don't know what... very frustrating!

It has definitely gotten worse in the mean-time since I was in on Monday. Had to take a friend to a doctor's appointment, and even on a smooth road it felt like I was in a tractor. Very scary! I didn't even want to go above 55.

How did it wear out ?  Noise, was the wear even across the tire ?  What tire pressure do you set them at ?  And just for completeness, what is your lifetime braking score ?

Edited by obob

They said that it wore out somewhere on the tire. They said it could be a balancing issue. I don't really want to take it somewhere else since then they wouldn't pay for it. Wear was not even across the tire. Tire pressure averages around 40. I don't really like setting them any higher. Lifetime braking score since I bought the car is 99%.

And the tires are Goodyear Assurance All-Seasons.

And this is why I'm not going with OEM. That is almost five months of car payments for me. I don't think it would save enough in fuel.

I think the best deal on the Michelin tires is Costco's. They sell the tire for about $195 each, and will have a sale with free installation and the $70 off -- and that includes their road hazard warranty, as well.

They said that it wore out somewhere on the tire. They said it could be a balancing issue. I don't really want to take it somewhere else since then they wouldn't pay for it. Wear was not even across the tire. Tire pressure averages around 40. I don't really like setting them any higher. Lifetime braking score since I bought the car is 99%.

And the tires are Goodyear Assurance All-Seasons.

I talked to Michelin's customer service and told them I was using 50psi and was getting even wear. He told me then he would recommend 50psi if I was getting even wear.  The tire say 51psi max cold and tire wouldn't blow up until around 200 psi someone said.  Did you wear out a set of Michelin's? My FORD Dealer beat any price from anywhere else. :) I think I got a FORD Mastercard debit card for $50 too.  I think I paid $800 installed.  I don't think the GoodYears last very long.

Paul

Well... I've got some good news... and I've got some bad news. They found the problem. Wasn't the suspension or anything. I've got a bent rim, and it HAS to be replaced. They did a crap ton of work. Pulled the whole thing apart for me. 

But the cost of that rim is insane... so if anyone has a spare rim available, I'd be greatly appreciative...

Well... I've got some good news... and I've got some bad news. They found the problem. Wasn't the suspension or anything. I've got a bent rim, and it HAS to be replaced. They did a crap ton of work. Pulled the whole thing apart for me. 

But the cost of that rim is insane... so if anyone has a spare rim available, I'd be greatly appreciative...

Ebay has quite a few of them. (be sure to get one for the 2013 for the newer ones (2017) are a little different.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=c-max+oem+rim&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xc-max+oem+rim+2013.TRS0&_nkw=c-max+oem+rim+2013&_sacat=0

The two below are used with some scraps and/or nicks and come with the TPMS.  The listing has a "Make Offer" button so may be able to get them somewhat cheaper than 140-150  (I would try to get one for $100 though my experience with offers on ebay isn't that extensive. )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-C-Max-2013-2015-Used-OEM-wheel-17x7-stock-factory-17-rim-TPMS-13-14-15/192490614535?hash=item2cd155af07:g:muAAAOSwwBNatWmu&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-C-Max-2013-2015-Used-OEM-wheel-17x7-stock-factory-17-rim-TPMS-13-14-15/202269768758?hash=item2f1837bc36:g:CfYAAOSwSLtatWsI&vxp=mtr

Edited by obob

One bent rim can do that much tire ware? WOW! :sad:

Paul

It's apparently really noticeable. The wheel itself is $240... which is what I've been seeing on eBay. They're going all-in $350 for a refurb. That includes mounting, balancing all four wheels, alignment, and taxes and fees.. Plus they did all this work-up for free. I swear I'm cursed though!

But yeah, if it's out of round like it was, it can really screw you up.

It's apparently really noticeable. The wheel itself is $240... which is what I've been seeing on eBay. They're going all-in $350 for a refurb. That includes mounting, balancing all four wheels, alignment, and taxes and fees.. Plus they did all this work-up for free. I swear I'm cursed though!

But yeah, if it's out of round like it was, it can really screw you up.

I'm interested to see how things workout. :) I would think there would be a lot of vibrations.

Paul

Oh trust me. Before they put the new tires on last week it felt like I was going to die. I was afraid to drive on the freeway, and I had to take a friend to a doctor's appointment. 80 miles round-trip. I was terrified. 

I'm probably not going to be able to get it fixed before Thursday... and I have a doctor's appointment myself that is 110 miles round-trip... Gonna be interesting.

Yep, getting the work done at the Ford dealer. They even had problems previously getting the alignment in spec, even with the bad rim. It seems to be the trend with the C-Max. They ended up having to use a torch to get the parts to move around enough!

Yikes!  A torch?  No wonder they had problems aligning the wheels with a bad rim (the alignment equipment bolts to the rim).  Make sure they redo the alignment after they put on a good rim!