Did owning a hybrid like the C-Max change the way you drive?

AgentCMAX

I used to own a 4x4 pick-up truck that was getting 15-17 mpg. I changed my driving because of such low mileage. But since I started driving the C-Max, I noticed I have become even more conscious of my driving habits and have improved on it wrt being fuel efficient. I now clearly see the folly of jack rabbit starts and racing to the next light only to stop harshly as I witness other drivers rushing in traffic. I noticed these things before but not as conscious as now.

Have your driving habits changed since you bought your C-Max?

My last vehicle was also in the same category and I moved on for similar reasons.  My driving has never been aggressive, and I have been pretty good on my brakes, so I don't feel that I have had to modify my driving too much - though I'm sure I have.  Probably the biggest change I notice is when I try the pulse and glide technique which takes some planning between lights and traffic in the city - to not waste energy and do it safely.  The feedback provided by the c-max is what will make most people adapt, even if it is imperceptible.  If the brake coach and instantaneous mpg were standard on even non-hybrids, fuel efficiency would likely improve.

Since the car I traded was a Sonata hybrid, and I had owned another hybrid, I was already "trained" in , or at least aware of, most techniques.  Even so the "feedback", like the Brake Coach and the "Engage" view, from the C-Max is helping me get better at my driving techniques.  I can swap cars with my wife and get 3-4MPG better than her in the SHO because the techniques move with me... 

Edited by RedLdr1

Very familiar with hybrid driving techniques prior to my C-Max. Biggest change for me is to get real-time feedback from the driving coach under different driving conditions.

One thing I never did before is turn off the climate control when I stop at a light and the engine temp is not within range. There are endless ways to improve economy but an eco climate option like the Volt would help mpg. This could be added as another setting in the left info screen.

Previously, I did coast to a stop at red lights or stop signs with cars waiting, and I didn't take off too quickly from stoplights. But I did take off quickly from 4-way stop signs and I accelerated too rapidly after slowing. I drove 67-68 in 70 MPH zones.

Now I accelerate more gently and drive slightly slower most of the time, unless I'm in a hurry.

I've always had good milage from any car I've owned....even my 2009 V-8 Mustang was giving me 22mpg and my 2012 Camaro was the same.  But...after buying the C-Max, I did find myself really trying to see how many mpg's I could get out of it, so yes, it did change my driving habits.  I'm not in a rush anymore....if I get stuck behind a slow moving truck....who cares....I just let it go into EV mode and cruise along.  I know a lot of people complain about the milage they are getting, but I have no complaints at all.  Yes...there are those trips where the traffic is just awful and there isn't any way you can do better than 39 or 40 mpg.  But most of my trips to work I've actually did better than the 47mpg advertised.  I've been as high as 54mpg on some trips.  My overall average is at 43 and climbing, but that is without any resets since buying the car.  It was at 17 when I picked it up.  As I've said on other threads, I seem to do much better with the milage on my trip home, than I do going to work.  I would guess that has a lot to do with the car being much colder in the morning and I'm running the heat longer, and also, here on Long Island, our winds are usually going from West to East, so my trip home I am normally going with the wind.  I find it a challenge to see how well I can do.  And I'm really not driving like an old man...(even though I am one) I drive at a pretty good pace, and I make sure I don't piss off anyone behind me.  But overall...yes, my driving has changed a bit.  By the way...my trip one way to work everyday is 30 miles...so I think thats a pretty good test.

I drive like the car. In the CMax I try to get the best mileage I can, try to accelerate without the engine coming on- never happens. In my Mustang GT I drive to enjoy driving and the car. It does accelerate well. My DD is a '11F150 with the new 5.0 V-8 and drive to have deceit mileage, but when I need to go the pedal goes to the metal. Just the new truck with the new engine has increased my DD mileage from 14 mpg to 19 mpg so I am very happy with that increase.

I drive a Prius and a C Max and I must admit, I am very annoying to drive behind.  I have come to the conclusion that on my drive to and from work, my driving habits don't make any difference at all in commute time.  There is lots of traffic, so people who pass me usually end up next to me at a traffic light a few miles away.  I have 700 miles now and am up to 40.9 MPG overall.  I am not sure if I ever want to reset the lifetime total.  It would be a neat stat to have an overall MPG average of several years. I use this feature on the Prius and found that I got about 51 mpg over a whole year.

I am not sure if I ever want to reset the lifetime total.  It would be a neat stat to have an overall MPG average of several years. I use this feature on the Prius and found that I got about 51 mpg over a whole year.

I don't think I will ever reset it either.  There are two trip counters and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the first one.  The second I like to reset for every gas fill-up.  Any ideas?

Yes, I drive differently i.e. much more aware of staying in EV and how to do it.  I find it challenging and rewarding.  Hubby drives a Lexus SUV and drives my C-Max same as he drives his SUV and always uses cruise control.  My excellent mileage is ruined by him, but my lips are zipped to him.  Don't want to start a war so I will vent here <g>. 

I don't think I will ever reset it either.  There are two trip counters and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the first one.  The second I like to reset for every gas fill-up.  Any ideas?

I use Trip 1 for any trip I go on (reset for each trip, one way or two-aw, depending on what I'm interested in), and Trip 2 for the fill-ups.

I drive a Prius and a C Max and I must admit, I am very annoying to drive behind.  I have come to the conclusion that on my drive to and from work, my driving habits don't make any difference at all in commute time.  There is lots of traffic, so people who pass me usually end up next to me at a traffic light a few miles away.  I have 700 miles now and am up to 40.9 MPG overall.  I am not sure if I ever want to reset the lifetime total.  It would be a neat stat to have an overall MPG average of several years. I use this feature on the Prius and found that I got about 51 mpg over a whole year.

I find myself going a bit slower than I used to...and you know what?  I still get to work and home at the same time I always did.  I have almost 3000 miles and have not re set the lifetime milage.  I really don't want to....probably won't for quite a while.

Very familiar with hybrid driving techniques prior to my C-Max. Biggest change for me is to get real-time feedback from the driving coach under different driving conditions.

One thing I never did before is turn off the climate control when I stop at a light and the engine temp is not within range. . .

Ditto. If I use the climate control, I might not make it to work and back purely on EV.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you feel the two cars compare? 

On the topic, I write car reviews. While I don't own a hybrid, reviewing a number of them for a week at a time has affected my driving with all cars. I'm much easier on the gas and brake in typical driving than I used to be--except for those times when I want to evaluate a car's performance potential.

I've always driven to anticipate conditions including stop signs, traffic lights, and traffic movement.  In suburban and ciry traffic, I accelerate with the flow but will back off and coast in anticipation of conditions ahead so as to conserve momentum and not have to use the brakes.  I also tend to drive with the flow on freeways and interstates which generally is above the speed limit.  So, my driving  style won't change except when I have to brake.  I'll shoot for a 100% braking regen score which I can achieve virtually all the time.