Parking sensors always off

I have the parking sensors and they are wonderful when they work.  Over the past couple weeks, the parking sensor on/off button will intermittently indicate OFF and won't turn on.  Now it will immediately turn off as soon as I shift out of park into reverse.  I've gone behind the car with the ignition on, car not running and in reverse.  I can hear each of the 3 sensors tick, but only if I press my finger against them.

Has anyone had this happen and get it fixed?  If it is one of the sensors, I do believe the rear bumper cover has to come off, as I could not see the sensors from under the car.  I've also found the wiring harness the sensors are connected to, with a connector right before it goes inside the body of the car.  I'll pop that open and see if there is any contamination or anything like that.

No warranty left so I'd like to see if I can fix this myself before having to go to the dealer.  Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...