What is the P24BE - EVAP System Leak code?

C-Maxine

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for awhile now doing research before buying my first C-Max. I finally did it! Bought a 2014 last night with 121k miles on it for $7.6k. It's currently displaying the P24BE code. The dealer I bought it from didn't have enough time to diagnose the issue (I arrived within a hour after they received it from auction) so they agreed to take $400 off the price because of that. The description for this DTC code is "EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Vacuum Switching Valve Control Circuit Low." They had never seen this exact code before in the previous C-Max's they sold.

I am having a lot of trouble finding any kind of information online about what this code could mean for the C-Max. I searched high and low on these forums too. I appear to be the first one asking about this specific code. Can anyone help me begin diagnosing where I should go from here? 

I look forward to being part of the C-Max (and hybrid) community! 

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this on this forum but responed to OP on the Energi forum.  Here's the response should anyone else get this DTC.

See below snip and attachment from the service manual.  Test HX is the procedures to check the circuits.  If the tests are negative, then the control module switching valve is replaced.  Check Fuse 46 in the rear fuse box on left sidewall in in rear hatch (see owner's manual for location of #46).  If you plan on maintaining your vehicle, you should get a service manual and ForScan.

P24BE - EVAP System Leak Detection Pump Vacuum Switching Valve Control Circuit Low

Description: This DTC sets when a concern is detected with the evaporative emission (EVAP) leak detection control module switching valve circuits.Possible Causes:

• VPWR circuit open
  • EVAPLDPSV circuit open
  • EVAPLDPSV circuit short to ground
  • Damaged EVAP leak detection control module

Diagnostic Aids:   Application   Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory All   GO to Pinpoint Test HX 

Check Fuse 46 in the rear fuse box on left sidewall in in rear hatch (see owner's manual for location of #46).

post-167-0-17226500-1527344215_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-67610300-1527344215_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-25925500-1527344216_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

The manual I have includes  2012, 2013, and 2014 Ford vehicles and indicated it was for the 2013 and 2014 C-Max when I bought it.  However, 2014 appears to contain Ford's entire lineup of vehicles (including Police).  2013 contains, C-Max, Focus and Focus electric, Fusion (incl. HEV, PHEV), MKZ (incl. HEV, PHEV) and Escape; and 2012 only includes the Focus (No electric).   Why? I have no idea other than maybe that's all the fits on the disc. The last FSA in my manual dated January, 2014 is from Novermber, 2013.

I note the manual in the link says it is only compatible with the 2014 C-Max.  I don't believe there are any noteworthy changes in the 2014 over the 2013.  Maybe search for other manuals and see what they say it includes.

• 4 years later...