Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Foot activated liftgate - two kicks to open?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   VirginiaRick

VirginiaRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 71 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationShenandoah Valley, VA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Maybe it's a proximity thing.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I was at the dealer yesterday picking up my plates, and wouldn't you know it, every time the salesman tried it with doors locked the damned thing opened on the first try. Got back home and it takes me two kicks when locked.  :banghead:

I think they issue the service writers and salesman special shoes.

#43 OFFLINE   C-MAXER

C-MAXER

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 129 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Maybe it's a proximity thing.

It has happen to me a few times.  After seeing threads on this and thus realizing that maybe it not simply operator error, I've paid a little more attention when using it.  I'm thinking it's maybe the access proximity sensor not waking up fast enough.   I'm not 100% but I think the times mine has only unlocked was when the car had been idle for a long time (hours).   Also if I touch a door handle first before continuing to the back, it opens and raises with one kick.

Are "regular" key SE owners having issues with the optional power lift gate ?   If not, then I think we can quickly narrow this down.

Edit: only one SE owner (for sure in this thread) has reported an issue and that was using the remote (that could have been operator error, I've done it too).  So has anyone SE or SEL had an issue with using the rear hatch button ON THE DASH?  

Edited by C-MAXER, 06 April 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   VirginiaRick

VirginiaRick

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationShenandoah Valley, VA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

As I said over in another thread, for any Seinfeld fans out there, we just need to make sure we have Elaine with us: ;)

VR

#45 OFFLINE   leenanj

leenanj

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNV
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I was at the dealer yesterday picking up my plates, and wouldn't you know it, every time the salesman tried it with doors locked the damned thing opened on the first try. Got back home and it takes me two kicks when locked.  :banghead:

The mistake I made when trying to adjust the rear hatch and actually thought I had it fixed was that after locking the car you have to wait

about 10 seconds for the computer to arm the alarm. If you try the kick before that 10 seconds it only take one kick.

After that 10 seconds it takes the two kick.

Not sure what Ford needs to do to fix this, hardware or software problem, or maybe they feel this is a safety feature

so the hatch won't open while driving down the road.

#46 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

The mistake I made when trying to adjust the rear hatch and actually thought I had it fixed was that after locking the car you have to wait

about 10 seconds for the computer to arm the alarm. If you try the kick before that 10 seconds it only take one kick.

After that 10 seconds it takes the two kick.

Not sure what Ford needs to do to fix this, hardware or software problem, or maybe they feel this is a safety feature

so the hatch won't open while driving down the road.

It's not a feature, its software problem with the sensor being asleep per other posts on this forum quoting a ford engineer.

#47 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max SEL 302a

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

It has happen to me a few times.  After seeing threads on this and thus realizing that maybe it not simply operator error, I've paid a little more attention when using it.  I'm thinking it's maybe the access proximity sensor not waking up fast enough.   I'm not 100% but I think the times mine has only unlocked was when the car had been idle for a long time (hours).   Also if I touch a door handle first before continuing to the back, it opens and raises with one kick.

Are "regular" key SE owners having issues with the optional power lift gate ?   If not, then I think we can quickly narrow this down.

Edit: only one SE owner (for sure in this thread) has reported an issue and that was using the remote (that could have been operator error, I've done it too).  So has anyone SE or SEL had an issue with using the rear hatch button ON THE DASH?  

Just found that interior trunk button. Worked fine.

#48 OFFLINE   C-MAXER

C-MAXER

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 129 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Just found that interior trunk button. Worked fine.

Yup, I have never had the button misbehave so that leads me to believe that it's not a latch mechanism or seal issue.  This weekend while running errands and after only 10-15 mins. from powering down, I had the rear kick method unlock but not lift.

Edited by C-MAXER, 08 April 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX Hybrid SEL

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Ford issued a TSB on 6-May.  I just took my CMAX to the dealer and they applied a software / firmware patch.  Hopefully, this takes care of this problem.  I will know tomorrow morning.

#50 OFFLINE   JohnTrigger

JohnTrigger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

I got the FSA (Field Service Action, sort of like a recall for non-dangerous things, and unlike a TSB, you don't have to prove you have the issue to get the fix) reprogram for the liftgate done yesterday.  Dealer installed new firmware for the hatch from their IDS system, and now it works with one kick each time.  Prior to the FSA, it would require two kicks if the vehicle was shut down for more than about 3 minutes.  Now it works like it should

#51 OFFLINE   Buddy Fuller

Buddy Fuller

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMorrisville, North Carolina 27560
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Escape

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

How about going down the road and the liftgate opens by itself and your groceries fall out on the road.  This is not funny.  Or leave leave your car parked Down Town and come back and the liftgate is open.  Glad there was nothing inside to steal???  Is there a problem that Ford is not letting us know about.. Is there a recall I am not aware about???

#52 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,782 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:57 PM

How about going down the road and the liftgate opens by itself and your groceries fall out on the road.  This is not funny.  Or leave leave your car parked Down Town and come back and the liftgate is open.  Glad there was nothing inside to steal???  Is there a problem that Ford is not letting us know about.. Is there a recall I am not aware about???

You are responding to a thread that is over 2 1/2 years old.  You have a 2014 C-Max.  Your C-Max likely has the update. :)  You can check owners.ford for applicable FSA and recalls.

#53 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 677 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

Mine is random...sometimes one kick, other times 4 or 5 kicks.. People stare at you when you appear to be kicking your car.

Sometimes I think my car knows if I am carrying a heavy box or have both hands full, and it will require more kicks.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·