Transmission to be replaced - have a question

Catmobile

It's unfortunate you didn't notice the fluid leaking (dripping on floor / ground).  For other, this is why I believe that a $10 Smartphone App and a $20 ELM327 OBDII plugin adapter would have likely indicated elevated fluid temps and generator / motor coil temps and perhaps caught the leak before damage occured. Maybe $1000-$1200 to replace seal (about 10 + hours of labor) as IIRC, engine and transmission have to be removed together.

You can likely save around $4-5k with used tranny.  I'm not aware of anyone that rebuilds the tranny.  Probably still better off dumping your Energi as your HVB likey has lost significant usable kWh of capacity from new and the retail value if fixed with new or used tranny won't be much more than $9k.

This really sucks! A 2013 car with only $107K on it!

Agree.  Ford made a costly mistake.  It was too expensive to do a recall so they figured it better to just fix the problems that came up within the warranty period knowing that it would likely end the life of a car for the cars with the problem out of the warranty period.  By the way, Ford is not the only car company to do this.  It happened to me with a Toyota trans and with a friend of mine with a Saturn engine.

I may be in a similar position with my 2013 but because of warranty time rather than miles.  I did get the extended warranty for the maximum time but it is not that long.  

Edited by obob

I talked to a number of FORD Dealer Parts Dept. it sounds like FORD will be refurbishing the trans in the future, just not yet. All the bad trans are going back to FORD. If you don't give them the old trans they charge you a $1500 core charge. $8k to $9k is what Dealers were quoting. :sad:

Paul

Edited by ptjones

...  It happened to me with a Toyota trans and with a friend of mine with a Saturn engine.

I may be in a similar position with my 2013 but because of warranty time rather than miles.  I did get the extended warranty for the maximum time but it is not that long.  

I thought of one other time it happened.  My Father's 2000 Honda Accord.  That model had known transmission problems.  His car was out of warranty,  I called Honda for him and told them he was old and 3000-3400 was too much money.  After as I recall was more than one call, they offered to pay about half with him paying the labor and I accepted immediately.  It might be worth a call to Ford though don't get your hopes up.  

I called Toyota to try to do the same thing on my 1999 Sienna but they would not talk to me saying take it to the dealer and the dealer was not helpful though took my money to look at it.  Though a rebuilt trans was only going to cost me like 3200 as I recall.

It might also be worth calling Ford to see if they have any rebuilt transmissions or use that they do not have rebuilt transmission as leverage to get Ford to pay some of it.  And as other have mentioned, ebay sells used transmissions but getting installation may be challenging.  Installing a C-Max trans is a big deal and I would not want someone to do it that hasn't done it before.

Edited by obob

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. I’m exploring the idea of finding a used transmission. Got a quote of around $1800. It’s tougher and more expensive to find the VIN C tranny for a 2013. And of course, there’s the challenge of finding a capable mechanic to do the install.

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. I’m exploring the idea of finding a used transmission. Got a quote of around $1800. It’s tougher and more expensive to find the VIN C tranny for a 2013. And of course, there’s the challenge of finding a capable mechanic to do the install.

I would highly recommend someone that has done it before, it is a big job.

Paul

I'm not disagreeing, but once you get the engine and trans out of the car, I'll bet it's a pretty easy swap of the trans.  I had to do replace the head gaskets on my '97 Eldorado 10-12 years ago.  The best and easiest way was to drop the entire cradle (containing the engine, trans, rack and pinion, and drive shafts and steering knuckles) out the bottom of the car.  That engine was massive and really shoe horned into the car, but it was a dream to work on once it was out.  I have a attached a few pics for anyone who is interested.

post-962-0-98224400-1539819864_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-83765900-1539819925_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-07496100-1539819964_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-22290300-1539819991_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-56011100-1539820049_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-95036600-1539820093_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-36320100-1539820122_thumb.jpg

post-962-0-25527200-1539820187_thumb.jpg

What is the VIN C trans ?   I suspect it is a trans that has all the fixes, like the ones in the later 2015's and 2016+.