What's next after Ford C-Max

Telerisk

Two articles; 2 different outlooks.  Hope yours is right...seems other manufacturers like Kia, released Hybrids then followed with Plug-in.  Not sure how the C-Max releases were offered.   By the way, still after 7 mos really impressed with my 2018 Kia Hybryd....its averaging 50mpg whereas C-Max is 40MPG..again impact here is, Kia Combined HP is 50HP less then C-Max.  It however no matter the Car, Make..etc, you see very few Hybrids on the road down here in Central Florida...this area just doesn't seem to be an attractive  Market for Hybrids; even Dealers stock few to none.  As long as Gas prices remain relatively low; hybrid sales will be low.  Our gas ranges (Regular) from 258.9 to 279.9 and has flipped between those lows and highs for the past 6 months.  

Edited by Telerisk

#     Date       Miles     Gallons MPG  Price  City %    

332 8/9/18    724.60  12.700  57.06  2.999  35%    

331 7/25/18  711.40  12.800  55.58  2.969  20%   

330 7/16/18  654.98  12.700  51.57  2.994      

329 7/15/18  609.17  11.520  52.88  3.281      

328 7/14/18  660.98  12.500  52.88  2.987      

327 7/12/18  660.17  12.000  55.01  3.143     

326 7/11/18  431.73    8.400  51.40  2.865  10%   

325 7/10/18  737.85  13.000  56.76  3.001  50%    

324 7/2/18    742.50  12.900  57.56  3.000  60%    

323 6/17/18  696.30  13.300  52.35  3.069  10% 

And here is what you could do in a C-MAX, my last 10 fillups on Fuelly.com with about 80% HWY miles for an average of 54.8 mpg. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

However, those wanting a Hybryd will need to a Ford Luxury vehicle like the Lincoln MKC  or a full size Expedition.

I think the article says that the Lincoln MKC is plug-in (variant of the Escape).  Anyway, why is a plug-in out of consideration?  The following points (if true!) could still make the Escape a good option for you:

1. The battery should(!) be packaged better than in the C-Max Energi so cargo space is not ruined.
  2. The price may no longer be that much lower for a hybrid variant since (1 battery cost is dropping, (2) it may be possible to use a smaller gas engine, and (3) Ford does not have to develop 3 different models.

I thought the Escape Hybrid was coming out first, https://suvtrend.com/ford/2019-ford-escape-hybrid/ with the the plugin to follow. :)

Paul

I expect this article is simply wrong - perhaps the worst one I have ever read.

I still hope my next car can be pure EV - like the 300 mile Model E, or whatever.  I wish we would hear more about that one.

They already made an Escape Hybrid, it was one of their horrible Gen I hybrid cars that got not much better MPG than the gas equivalent (e.g. before they cross-licensed the Toyota/TRW patents) .. errgh.  I still grind my teeth when I see the EcoSport because the C-MAX is a better car from the same parts bin.  Sadly I still don't think domestic manufacturers have done more than paid lip service..they'd rather sell trucks and SUVs.  I would like to see a six passenger van like Nissan's e-NV200 ..  they did have a limited run of transit vans converted to electric but the conversions were outsourced I think.

Edited by jestevens

Hey Paul how fast do you drive on the highway?

Generally I go with the right lane and what ever speed it's going. That could be 60 - 80 mph, but I try to keep it under 70 mph and try to draft when ever possible.  Generally traffic is pretty heavy around Atlanta, but it is still going 65-75 mph so you are drafting automatically most of time. :)  I'm always amazed people tailgate, 10-20 feet going 60-70 mph, I like to be 50 - 100 ft, but then people just fill up the space. :sad:

Paul

I was on the phone with our insurance agent today and mentioned my wife's 730 mile range. She could not believe our 55mpg-65mpg mileage and wanted to share C-Max info with everyone in the office.  I didn't have the heart to say 2018 is the final production.

They were equally excited to explore the Fuelly app.

Edited by jmcgliss

Miss Pearl (2013 SEL) is in the shop again. :( The coolant plug came out and she ran completely dry. So it will be probably next Thursday  until I get her back, which is 3-4 business days. Takes forever to get a simple part for these things! I don't think I've ever had to wait so long for a part for any other car I've ever had (the transmission took a couple of weeks, I think).

Does it seem to anybody else that there's a lot of these on the road for all we hear that they didn't sell many?

Someone has mentioned extended warranties. I think I got mine cheap from Flood Ford. The guy at my dealership here was amazed, it was below his cost.

FYI, I'm getting a solid 45 mpg. I quite often get in the 50's on the way to work. The Ecosport is a misnomer - 29 on the highway isn't that great.

I was going to keep her for another two years to run out the extended warranty, but just in case I needed to pull the trigger sooner I've been checking out possibilities for the next one. The Mazda CX-5 is a good-looking car, especially in that red they have, but in poking around the internet it seems they're having big problems with the paint, especially with the red ones. The RAV-4 is being overhauled for 2019 and looks good also, so it's a possibility. If I had to trade mine in right now, I'd probably end up with a Honda CR-V.

I take it back about the CR-V. Looks like they're having issues with fuel getting into the oil. :( Having had 3 Hondas in the past, I can tell you that when they have an issue it can take a class action lawsuit to get them to fix something when they should have done a recall. *Sigh*. But then, Ford should have recalled the C-Max for the transmission issue! Anyway, looks like I may be back to thinking about the Mazda. Guess I'd rather have to have the car repainted than deal with the issue the CR-V has.

I take it back about the CR-V. Looks like they're having issues with fuel getting into the oil. :( Having had 3 Hondas in the past, I can tell you that when they have an issue it can take a class action lawsuit to get them to fix something when they should have done a recall. *Sigh*. But then, Ford should have recalled the C-Max for the transmission issue! Anyway, looks like I may be back to thinking about the Mazda. Guess I'd rather have to have the car repainted than deal with the issue the CR-V has.

I'd likely look at the 2019 Hyundai Tucson/Kia Sportage. The Tucson is being updated for 2019 and, at least from the early reports, it sounds as if it should be quite good.

Ford...just release a 2019 in a crossover smaller SUV design with the same Power train as the C-Max; ICE and EV.  The industry history shows more buyers are going for trucks and the SUV design...and with the demise of the C-max Hybryd, Ford has a Market they easily could Fill since they have the Power Train.....ICE\EV non-Plug-in.  I am still holding out for the 2019 Escape with the C-max Hybryd Power Train even though that power Train may need a little higher HP to handle the larger Escape.  I have always believed had Ford stood behind the C-Max, marketed the C-Max like it did it trucks, they would have sold a Bunch more C-max's.....everyone that I have ever told that I drive a C-Max, or Ford C-Max...I get, what is That, never heard of that car.  Most owners of the C-Max report MPG darn near close or better than the Toyota Prius.. .which was the goal Ford was trying to match....yet Ford decided to drop the C-max...and in my opinion, Ford Motor company is the sole cause of the C-Max's demise....not the public.    

We get the same reaction. "C-Max - what is that?" Then my wife shares her consistent 730 mile range (after 4400 miles of ownership) and you can see their interest perk up.

Granted, our MPG is better than average, but it's attainable. Fuelly shows there are thousands of owners in the 42+ MPG camp.

What will Ford or Lincoln have for us when our lease expires in 2.5 years?

I suspect they wanted government funding to develop the transmission, and originally they were trying to compete with the Prius V, in which I think they would have succeeded if they weren't more worried about selling Focus and Escape.  Plus the MPG overstatement, plus the 12V battery issue with the SE's.  I have never had a 12V battery issue with the SEL until it was time to actually replace the 12V battery after 7 years.

I suspect they wanted government funding to develop the transmission, and originally they were trying to compete with the Prius V, in which I think they would have succeeded if they weren't more worried about selling Focus and Escape.  Plus the MPG overstatement, plus the 12V battery issue with the SE's.  I have never had a 12V battery issue with the SEL until it was time to actually replace the 12V battery after 7 years.

7 years? :headscratch:  I think the first CMAX's were built in Sept. 2012 and it's Aug. 2018 = 6 years. :) LOL  You know I see CMAX's all the time now.

Paul

The Focus Active Hybrid, when it hits next year, should be a better vehicle than the C-max. Word is it should have mpg's in the mid fifties.

Needing a lot of headroom, I did find the Focus an acceptable compromise as far as sedans go(6 years ago).  But it did not sit like the C-Max which is more like a mini-van to me sitting-wise - back straight, no smaller compromise[left foot position] (my last two "cars" where mini-vans).  I suspect the mileage would be similar to the Fusion hybrid but a bit better because it is a probably a lighter car and other improvements.  Focus does have a hatchback version which would give the car some of the big box carrying capabilities of the C-Max though probably less depending on where Ford puts the HVB.  I would suspect the HVB would still be in the back because the car is already front heavy.

Here's an article on the Active (not hybrid)

https://www.motor1.com/news/240665/2020-ford-focus-active-detailed/

Edited by obob

On the plus side, Ford might put a bit more emphasis on their other alternatives to the C-Max (whatever they are!).  The Focus was hardly a C-Max replacement option here - really want an EV or at least a PHEV crossover with a bit more ground clearance and light towing capability.  Still expect our next car to be 2 or 3 years out so can wait and see what we have then.  And, oh yes, want it built here too!