Replacing Right Half Shaft

At 206k miles I'm finally doing a repair which I have to pay for, can't complain but FORD wants $600 to replace right hand half shaft axle which I can't afford with having to replace my tires in a month or two for $800. Fortunately I have a Son in Law that's good with working on cars if I need help. :) As it turns out I needed help separating ball joint from wheel knuckle and the extra pair of hands made the difference. My inner boot was leaking grease. Have pics of ball joint and wheel knuckle and old & new right hand half shaft.post-143-0-97739500-1533156021_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-31896000-1533138020_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-58175100-1533138049_thumb.jpg

The rest of the steps were pretty easy, I'm getting new half shaft from AutoZone this afternoon for $145 vs $245 from FORD. will Post when I get the car back together. I have it most of the way back together, same problem area getting it back together. Definitely a 2 man job.  :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Sometimes aftermarket driveshafts are prone to vibration; and you can see the difference of the shaft diameter in the photo.  I'd prefer having a shop to rebuild the boots and re-use the OEM axles.  Let us know how it turns out.

We will see and I think if I had to do it over with I would gotten rebuilt mine or exchange for FORD one. I would want CV joints replaced though. I will drive it tomorrow to see if everything is OK.  With two people doing this it isn't to bad.  I  saved $450. :)

Paul

I am trying to visualize the problem.  So did  you replace it because it was leaking grease or was there some other problem ? Was it because the inner boot broke or is the grease usually contained in a bearing whose seals are failing ?  Any thoughts on why it failed.  Road debris assault, weakness in manufacture, not put back right when trans replaced or just a lot of miles ?  Thanks.

I am very impressed you were able to do that.

Edited by obob

I am trying to visualize the problem.  So did  you replace it because it was leaking grease or was there some other problem ? Was it because the inner boot broke or is the grease usually contained in a bearing whose seals are failing ?  Any thoughts on why it failed.  Road debris assault, weakness in manufacture, not put back right when trans replaced or just a lot of miles ?  Thanks.

I am very impressed you were able to do that.

From what I can see it just cracked along the seem maybe a 1/4 to 1/3 the way around where the grease was coming out. Keep in mind that it has 206k miles and 108k since trans replacement so I'm thinking alot of miles. The only thing I noticed was a slight vibration like ICE missing in acceleration. I replaced the plugs for the first time :) , I think they were fine and didn't make much of a difference. The problem felt like it was in the right front drive train. I needed to rotate my tires and notice grease inside my right front wheel so I knew something wasn't right. Checked wheel bearing but no grease, but there was grease on inside of half axle. The other half shaft looks fine so far.

Paul