Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How long should brakes on the CMAX Last?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

Take a picture of them and lets see. :headscratch:

Paul

• obob likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   HappyCmaxGuy

HappyCmaxGuy

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationRichmond
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Cmax Hybrid SEL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

I have a 2014 CMax SEL with about 75000 Kilometers (about 45k miles) on it.  I decided to buy out my lease and the car is the best one I have ever owned... far better than Mercedes and the rest. Get about 5.1 Litres per 100 kilometers on it.

1.  Anyway, the brake pads all have a significant amount left on them but the rear discs seem to be in worse shape than the front ones which are almost perfect.  There is no warping, but on the rears, there seems to be identical score marks on both the left and right discs in the same spot on the radius.  I am thinking that perhaps a rivet is coming through? 

The only symptom I have is a rotation noise from the rear of one side.  I thought it might be a trapped stone, but what are the odds of the same score marks on both sides?  No stopping problems and I usually have a brake score of around 95... so it isn't my driving.   There is no rotational vibration or any apparent warping on front or rear.

It seems strange to me to require a possible brake job with pads still showing significant life in them.

Any ideas?  

2. The second issue is that I will likely need new tires.  The only complaint I have about the car is a rather hard suspension when travelling over speed bumps.  it could very well be that the 40 PSI that the OE Michelin tires require are tuned for fuel economy and not comfort... like a Tour de France Bike.  Secondly, this car seems to have been designed on a Focus platform but with the additional substantial weight of the Hybrid battery without a corresponding adjustment to the suspension which makes it feel like it can bottom out over a speed bump, and, when turning at speed on an overpass, one can feel that all 4 tires are working very hard...  

So I am thinking about possibly beefing up the tires when I replace them.  As it is they slip on wet surface when I accelerate moderately from a stop due to the electric torque.  Can anyone recommend a replacement tire that they have found deals with the above better than the originals without a significant lost of fuel economy?

I would like: slightly softer/ better traction on corners/better wet surface control.

tks for any help!

#23 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 709 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

I have a 2014 CMax SEL with about 75000 Kilometers (about 45k miles) on it.  I decided to buy out my lease and the car is the best one I have ever owned... far better than Mercedes and the rest. Get about 5.1 Litres per 100 kilometers on it.

1.  Anyway, the brake pads all have a significant amount left on them but the rear discs seem to be in worse shape than the front ones which are almost perfect.  There is no warping, but on the rears, there seems to be identical score marks on both the left and right discs in the same spot on the radius.  I am thinking that perhaps a rivet is coming through? 

The only symptom I have is a rotation noise from the rear of one side.  I thought it might be a trapped stone, but what are the odds of the same score marks on both sides?  No stopping problems and I usually have a brake score of around 95... so it isn't my driving.   There is no rotational vibration or any apparent warping on front or rear.

It seems strange to me to require a possible brake job with pads still showing significant life in them.

Any ideas?  

2. The second issue is that I will likely need new tires.  The only complaint I have about the car is a rather hard suspension when travelling over speed bumps.  it could very well be that the 40 PSI that the OE Michelin tires require are tuned for fuel economy and not comfort... like a Tour de France Bike.  Secondly, this car seems to have been designed on a Focus platform but with the additional substantial weight of the Hybrid battery without a corresponding adjustment to the suspension which makes it feel like it can bottom out over a speed bump, and, when turning at speed on an overpass, one can feel that all 4 tires are working very hard...  

So I am thinking about possibly beefing up the tires when I replace them.  As it is they slip on wet surface when I accelerate moderately from a stop due to the electric torque.  Can anyone recommend a replacement tire that they have found deals with the above better than the originals without a significant lost of fuel economy?

I would like: slightly softer/ better traction on corners/better wet surface control.

tks for any help!

My advice: don't worry about the rotors.  My rear rotors had that scoring after 4000 miles.  It may have something to do with the rear brakes mostly being used to brake from 5 mph to 0 mph due to the regenerative  braking.

This has been discussed a lot if you feel like looking in other brake threads on this site.  There may even be some pictures.

• ptjones likes this

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,658 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

From a traction stand point tires work better at 50 psi and I have 78k mi. on my Michelin's, going for 85k-90k miles.  When I first started working on tire pressure my tires were wearing more on outside edges than the center.  By going from 38 psi to 50 psi the sidewalls get a little stiffer keeping the tire from lifting  the inside edge when cornering and putting more pressure on the center of the tire. This is also good in the rain to make the tire more resistant to hydroplaning.  :) 

Paul 

#25 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,427 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

... The only complaint I have about the car is a rather hard suspension when travelling over speed bumps. ... it feel like it can bottom out over a speed bump, and, when turning at speed on an overpass, one can feel that all 4 tires are working very hard...  

...I would like: slightly softer/ better traction on corners/better wet surface control. ...

Glad you enjoy the car. Sorry you're not pleased with the handling, but you're kind of stuck with it without resorting to after-market suspensions (Focus fits).

I don't see tires helping with speed bumps. They're low-frequency inputs where vehicle response is related more to wheelbase, shock tuning and bump profile. Tires just roll over the bump. Tire construction does matter for road noise and rough-road response - high frequency inputs. 

In general, tires optimized for traction in corners have very poor ride quality, and vis versa. If you want an appreciably softer ride, put 60-series tires on 16" rims. 215/60-16 is a diameter match (my snows... which ride no softer because they're a 97 load rating with stiffer sidewalls). Being narrower and taller, cornering response will decline, although ultimate grip may not. 

Which gets us to tire characteristics - what makes a car fun to drive?

I like linear response. Wheel inputs that are directly mirrored in the car's direction, with little change in arc with increasing speed. The downside is untoward behavior at the limits of adhesion. Most tires trade linearity for better behavior at the limit. However, the best tires are matched to the car. Ford did a very good job here; when the tires start to let go, the entire car drifts. If you have experience at speed, drifting a well-balanced car is a very controllable cornering mode that needs little driver input. If you live in the snow belt, you have opportunity to practice. 

And if you still want recommendations, look at Tire Rack's reader data and test reports. The former are subjective, but give you some idea of relative quality. 

Have fun,

Frank

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·