Interior Noise

grege

new 2018 titanium.

Compared to our 2017, I'm noticing more general interior "ambient" noise, as in general "humming" and even wind noise at highway speeds (best description may be similar to common airplane cabin noise at altitude).   

Car has michelin energy tires which may be contributing.  There's also a rear external humming noise which sounds like either wheel bearing(s) or tire slap noise.  Compared to our 2017 which is much quieter, I'd swear ford has seemingly decreased the material-quality used for this last model year (or I'm simply delusional).  

I've actually ordered some sound deadening mats to lay across the rear of the cabin to see if that will help absorb interior noise.

Anyone else have 2018 vs earlier model comparison to share?

Thanks!

Greg 

Our 2018 is very quiet overall - better than we expected for the price. Although yesterday with both rear windows cracked open for ventilation there as a "buffeting" / drumming sound that was unbearable until I closed one of the rear windows. It almost sounded like it was being amplified, too. Our other cars are more tolerant of having rear windows down a few inches.

new 2018 titanium.

Compared to our 2017, I'm noticing more general interior "ambient" noise, as in general "humming" and even wind noise at highway speeds (best description may be similar to common airplane cabin noise at altitude).   

Car has michelin energy tires which may be contributing.  There's also a rear external humming noise which sounds like either wheel bearing(s) or tire slap noise.  Compared to our 2017 which is much quieter, I'd swear ford has seemingly decreased the material-quality used for this last model year (or I'm simply delusional).  

I've actually ordered some sound deadening mats to lay across the rear of the cabin to see if that will help absorb interior noise.

Anyone else have 2018 vs earlier model comparison to share?

Thanks!

Greg 

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6669-how-to-quick-and-easy-reversible-anc-delete/

Sometimes the noise cancellation system gets confused.  Might want to try disabling it.

Our 2018 is very quiet overall - better than we expected for the price. Although yesterday with both rear windows cracked open for ventilation there as a "buffeting" / drumming sound that was unbearable until I closed one of the rear windows. It almost sounded like it was being amplified, too. Our other cars are more tolerant of having rear windows down a few inches.

In the interest of better mileage via better wind resistance, seems newer cars suffer from buffeting more and more.  Not sure if rain guards would help reduce that, but it might.

Greg 

That sounds like a common situation with newer more streamlined cars.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noise+with+windows+open&oq=noise+with+windows+open&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7161j0j7&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I eliminate that noise in my c-max by having two front and on back window opened and inch or two.  (all windows also works.)

Edited by obob