Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Computer Reset After Changing Battery?

battry computer reset

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IFHP

IFHP

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOlympia, Washington
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

I just changed the 12 volt battery on my '13 C-Max for the first time. It was a little bit of a challenge due to no mechanical latch on the back hatch door, but it worked out. The dealer has suggested that I bring the car in to have the computer reset (1/2 hour labor). I understand that some high end cars do require that the onboard computers be synced with an individual battery, but is that really necessary on a C-Max?  What are the risk if I don't do that? 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 500 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yes its a good idea to have that done.  Car tracks the age of the battery affecting charging and how long the radio keeps playing after shutting off the car.

There are also tools you can get to do it yourself.  My dealer didn't charge for it and it took 5 minutes.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,680 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

I changed mine and didn't bother to update the computer, if it was a real problem I would get it done or I would figure it out. :)

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

I just changed the 12 volt battery on my '13 C-Max for the first time. It was a little bit of a challenge due to no mechanical latch on the back hatch door, but it worked out. The dealer has suggested that I bring the car in to have the computer reset (1/2 hour labor). I understand that some high end cars do require that the onboard computers be synced with an individual battery, but is that really necessary on a C-Max?  What are the risk if I don't do that? 

Get an ELM327 adapter (as low as $8 to $80 for one that can scan HS and MS modules automatically) and download the free Windows Forscan App to a windows tablet / laptop / PC and reset the 12V battery data.  I believe you have to request the extended license and Forscan will send a code to unlock the App.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for a car as to whether to reset the battery or not.  The charging and load shed algorithms need correct data to keep track of the State of Charge of the battery to hopefully maximize life of the battery.   If you feel paying 1/2 hour labor is too much, don't do it.  

#5 OFFLINE   IFHP

IFHP

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOlympia, Washington
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Thank you. 

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: battry, computer, reset