Computer Reset After Changing Battery?

IFHP

I just changed the 12 volt battery on my '13 C-Max for the first time. It was a little bit of a challenge due to no mechanical latch on the back hatch door, but it worked out. The dealer has suggested that I bring the car in to have the computer reset (1/2 hour labor). I understand that some high end cars do require that the onboard computers be synced with an individual battery, but is that really necessary on a C-Max?  What are the risk if I don't do that? 

I just changed the 12 volt battery on my '13 C-Max for the first time. It was a little bit of a challenge due to no mechanical latch on the back hatch door, but it worked out. The dealer has suggested that I bring the car in to have the computer reset (1/2 hour labor). I understand that some high end cars do require that the onboard computers be synced with an individual battery, but is that really necessary on a C-Max?  What are the risk if I don't do that? 

Get an ELM327 adapter (as low as $8 to $80 for one that can scan HS and MS modules automatically) and download the free Windows Forscan App to a windows tablet / laptop / PC and reset the 12V battery data.  I believe you have to request the extended license and Forscan will send a code to unlock the App.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for a car as to whether to reset the battery or not.  The charging and load shed algorithms need correct data to keep track of the State of Charge of the battery to hopefully maximize life of the battery.   If you feel paying 1/2 hour labor is too much, don't do it.  

• 6 months later...

Most generic car Apps do not have service procedures like battery age reset in them. Even ForScan light for smartphones does not. You need the Windows version of ForScan for service procedures. There’s a trial version and extended paid licenses now available for the Windows version.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 7 months later...

... not to throw a monkey wrench in this discussion... but we just had our 12v replaced at the dealership and when I asked about resetting (re-syncing?) the computer with the new battery, the service dude looked at me like I was nuts. He said "no such thing on these cars (2016 C-Max E)... you're thinking of the BMW's" and I pressed him on it a bit but he stuck to his word... he'd "never heard of that". After reading several posts here re this reset procedure... I'm tempted to call a different Service Center and ask them about it.  If this were a "thing" I would imagine that it would be part of the standard service practice for battery replacement.  They don't automatically do this procedure when a new battery is installed?

Do this: Start car, ready to drive. Turn on radio. Turn car off but do not open doors. Stay in car until radio shuts down. Should take 10 minutes exactly if battery is new and battery monitoring was reset. Maybe Ford changed the algorithm for MY 2016, but I doubt it. The correct name is “Battery Monitoring System Reset.” See pic

If you don’t reset the battery monitor, the battery will be charged as if it has lost some capacity. So, the SOC will be lower than it should be. Since starting the C-Max requires minimal charge in the battery unlike starting a car engine, the C-Max will likely start with battery voltage as low 10.5 V which is 0% SOC by definition. So, if one drives the car daily, there will likely be no issues with starting. However, any excessive battery drain or perhaps not starting the car for a week or so could result in a dead battery, no start conditions as the battery continues to age.

post-167-0-29998500-1571878026_thumb.png

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I didn't reset mine two years ago and it looks like it last 5 min.  Can you reset it with ForScan?

Paul

Yes.  ForScan several months ago added many service procedures to their IOS and Android Apps including the Battery Monitoring System reset which zeros out the cumulative charge and discharge counters for the various states the car can be in.  Thus, the algorithm can compute battery losses and better estimate the SOC of the 12 V battery.  The 12 V battery age is also reset to zero and thus indicates how long ago it was reset from the current date. 

I don't know the precise 12 Volt Battery Saving algorithm but it seems that battery age (or accumulated battery losses), the current battery SOC, and the function (puddle lights, overhead lights, radio, cigar lighter outlet and so forth) affects the timing of shutdown of a function.   Supposedly, these BMSs can extend the life of a battery by "smarter" charging and by cutting off power to devices after a period of time so not to discharge the battery too low which will affect the battery life or perhaps put another way, allow devices to operate longer without affecting battery life for the benefit of the user of the devices. 

My history:

1) June, 2015:  Dealer replaced my original battery after 30 months in June 2015 and did not reset the battery monitoring. I did not realize this until over a year later.

2) March 13, 2018: Radio test was around 1 minute until turn off.  SOC generally in high single digits, low teens. Battery Monitoring age (since it was not reset) was about 1923 days (about 64 months).  But, replacement battery in June 2015 was only about 1000 days old.

3) March 13, 2018: Downloaded ForScan for Windows and got free extended license to do Battery Monitoring Reset. Reset battery monitoring and radio test was exactly 10 minutes until off.  Over the next month or so, SOC climbed into the 50 - 60 %.

4) Today: Battery Monitoring age is 593 days but battery age is actually 1593 days old.  SOC = 49%.  Radio test = 10 minutes.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Yes.  ForScan several months ago added many service procedures to their IOS and Android Apps including the Battery Monitoring System reset which zeros out the cumulative charge and discharge counters for the various states the car can be in.  Thus, the algorithm can compute battery losses and better estimate the SOC of the 12 V battery.  The 12 V battery age is also reset to zero and thus indicates how long ago it was reset from the current date. 

Plus 3... you may have already answered this one... but what FORScan adapter are you using?  I'd need to go with the iOS version of FORScan... the, so far limited, research I've done on it sounds like there are only a very limited number of adapters that will work properly with FORScan. And which is a reliable outlet to purchase said adaptor... as there are many "clones" that are not fully compatible.

I have a cheap WIFI clone adapter (purchased 8/2013) which I used on an old IPhone and use with new IPad Pro, an OBDLink MX Bluetooth (JR Tech 8/2018) for my android smartphone and MS Surface Pro. The MX will not work with IOS. I also have a cheap Bluetooth clone adapter (BAFX 2/2015). The cheaper clones will lose connection occasionally which if recording data, means you lose the recorded data. I bought the MX BT for its speed and ability to automatically scan modules on MS and HS CAN. I’ve never lost connection with the MX.

I replaced my 12V Battery about 6 months with Oddyssey AGM and did not reset anything. I also tow a Waverunner monthly on business trips to the coast and run the BlueDriver scanner to IPhone app to monitor temps/codes etc. I have no codes or anything to reset after multiple scans and no problems.

There are no codes associated with BMS reset. What does the scanner show for the state of charge of your 12V battery and the age of the 12 V battery (will be in days)?m Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank You C-Max Forum members for your information. I was able to replace my 12 volt battery using an Advance Auto 67R battery. They had an online code for 25% off that saved me $40. Nice. I also was able to reset the Battery Monitoring System using a Veepeak OBD2 scanner and the free Forscan app running on my laptop. It seems like the laptop version has more features than the Android version. I did not need to upgrade to the advanced version of Forscan.

Thanks again to all of your help!

2 hours ago, bobco2006 said:

Thank You C-Max Forum members for your information. I was able to replace my 12 volt battery using an Advance Auto 67R battery. They had an online code for 25% off that saved me $40. Nice. I also was able to reset the Battery Monitoring System using a Veepeak OBD2 scanner and the free Forscan app running on my laptop. It seems like the laptop version has more features than the Android version. I did not need to upgrade to the advanced version of Forscan.

Thanks again to all of your help!

Battery Age reset was added to the Android and IOS FORScan lite versions.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:08 AM, Bill-N said:

For the benefit of some of the newer members, there's a manual (i.e. non-Forscan) procedure for resetting the battery age.  Search the forum for details.  But Forscan is more fun ?

Cheers.

Yes, I recall reading it somewhere but can't find it readily here.  I believe you put car in ACC mode (ready to drive might also work), flash high beams 5 times and then push brake pedal five times (maybe three times).  I'll try it tomorrow and report back as I've reset my battery age once prior to zero with FORScan about 2 years ago as dealer did not do it with my new battery install in June 2015.  Yesterday, my SOC was 57% when I drove car after 100 mile round trip (a little less than 2 hours of driving /charging time).

Plus 3:  Here's what I saved once from you on the reset process:

A couple of thoughts, the old battery may be original and thus 5-6 years old, the charging algorithm wasn't fully charging the new battery, there wasn't sufficient SOC to complete the scheduled maintenance, and you disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.  I recall reading that Ford vehicles will default back to transport mode upon attempted powerup after a certain period of time with low / no battery voltage.

You can try this procedure to see if transport mode is the issue.

to manually disable transport mode:

Deactivation

1. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  1. Verify the battery is fully charged.
  1. NOTE:On vehicles with Push-Button Start, place a programmed passive key in the PATSbackup starting location.

Place the ignition in the ON position.
  1. NOTE:Steps 4 and 5 must be carried out within 10 seconds.

Press and release the brake pedal 5 times.
  1. Press and release the hazard switch 2 times (on, off).

NOTE:When exiting Factory mode, the IPCmessage center indicates NORMAL MODE when the procedure has been successfully completed.

Place the ignition in the OFF position.

A low system voltage or bad battery can put the vehicle back into transport mode

as for why the vehicle went in this mode, your local dealer will need to test the battery and charging system and possible to a computer reflash 

Edited August 29, 2018 by Plus 3 Golfer

OK, I reset my 12 V battery age from 753 days to zero days by doing the following:

1) Placed car in ACC mode by pushing start button without foot on brake. Again, it may also work in ready to drive mode.  In ACC mode, the DCDC converter does not charge the 12 V battery (set point voltage is 10.6 V). The DCDC converter

sets the voltage at 13.0 V which basically is a float charge to keep the 12 V battery from discharging.

2) Operated high beam switch 5 times.

3) Pumped brake pedal 3 times.

4) 12 V battery age changed to 0 days.  I did not notice anything else happening on the dash to indicate acceptance of the change of battery age.  Maybe I missed it

I then put car in ready to drive mode and am currently recording FORScan data.  I will analyze data and compare to data I recorded around 6 months ago after about 50 minutes of recording.  The first point noted was the Set Point Voltage appeared to be higher than previous even though my current SOC is several % higher than previous.

I may start a new thread comparing results and adding to those results as the 12 V battery ages.  Like I said in other threads this is the second time I zeroed out battery age.  My current battery will be 5 years old in June 2020.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

On 4/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, Plus 3 Golfer said:

OK, I reset my 12 V battery age from 753 days to zero days by doing the following:

1) Placed car in ACC mode by pushing start button without foot on brake. Again, it may also work in ready to drive mode.  In ACC mode, the DCDC converter does not charge the 12 V battery (set point voltage is 10.6 V). The DCDC converter

sets the voltage at 13.0 V which basically is a float charge to keep the 12 V battery from discharging.

2) Operated high beam switch 5 times.

3) Pumped brake pedal 3 times.

4) 12 V battery age changed to 0 days.  I did not notice anything else happening on the dash to indicate acceptance of the change of battery age.  Maybe I missed it

I then put car in ready to drive mode and am currently recording FORScan data.  I will analyze data and compare to data I recorded around 6 months ago after about 50 minutes of recording.  The first point noted was the Set Point Voltage appeared to be higher than previous even though my current SOC is several % higher than previous.

I may start a new thread comparing results and adding to those results as the 12 V battery ages.  Like I said in other threads this is the second time I zeroed out battery age.  My current battery will be 5 years old in June 2020.

I did your steps and it seems to work.?

Paul