Rear Lift Gate latch

air463

I have been having an issue with my rear liftgate hatch not closing all the way.  It will close but does not latch tight.  I get the liftgate ajar message on the instrument panel.  Is anyone else having this problem. 

All the time.  I have to close it very hard.  I noticed (although only just once) that when the ajar message was displayed, the hatch does seem loose on the right side.

EDIT:  I have a manual hatch.

Edited by AgentCMAX

I've had the same problem, but figured out (I think) what was causing it.  The car is VERY airtight.  Try leaving one of your doors or windows open, and then closing the hatch: see if that makes a difference. 

I've just gotten into the habit of closing it harder, and making sure that the lights in the back go off (they won't if it's not closed all the way).

• 2 months later...
TSB 12-12-06 calls for adjustment of the latch on the hatch lid. Ask your dealer to look it up.

Do you have the details for this tsb? The cause and what is done to fix?

Dealer made some adjustments but the trunk space gap isn't quite perfect. Right side is tighter than the left.

Also, is there a list of all the current tsbs for the c max.

The TSB calls for adjusting the latch because people were having trouble with the lid not closing fully or properly.

I know about the TSB because of dead 12 volt problems. Ford's hotline for service techs recommended performing the TSB in case a hatch not closing could have been draining the battery. No reason to think that was the problem.

There is not yet a publicly available list of TSBs that I can find. So far I think we need to depend on the dealer service departments.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a TSB just put out regarding the auto close rear hatch on the SEL.  When all windows & doors are closed the rear hatch would not fully close showing an "ajar" reading on the dash.  Was due to pressure inside the car.  Dealer thought there was no adjustment to the lower hatch lock but apparently there is.  Took back to Ford after waiting a month for results and adjustment was made per Ford Hot Line Team.  If you are still having problems contact your dealer and have them research the TSB, sorry I don't have the # FINALLY!

• 8 months later...

I have had the opposite problem.  Often, it's difficult to get my liftgate to open in cold weather.  Mine is a manual liftgate, not a power one.

When I try to open it in the cold either with the key fob or just with my hand, the latch sounds like it’s trying to undo itself, but it takes quite a few tries either with the key fob or manually to get it to truly unlatch and open.

Sometimes, I just stand there staring at the liftgate after having tried to get it to open many times and poof!  The latch will unlatch finally.

When I was at the dealer today for another problem (a Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning problem), I asked them to look into this liftgate issue. They could not recreate the problem. The service advisor said that perhaps it was too warm. The written service report says that they lubricated the striker/latch.  We'll have to see if that solves the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with the manual liftgate, and if so, did you find a fix?

I have had the opposite problem.  Often, it's difficult to get my liftgate to open in cold weather.  Mine is a manual liftgate, not a power one.

When I try to open it in the cold either with the key fob or just with my hand, the latch sounds like it’s trying to undo itself, but it takes quite a few tries either with the key fob or manually to get it to truly unlatch and open.

Sometimes, I just stand there staring at the liftgate after having tried to get it to open many times and poof!  The latch will unlatch finally.

When I was at the dealer today for another problem (a Check Fuel Fill Inlet warning problem), I asked them to look into this liftgate issue. They could not recreate the problem. The service advisor said that perhaps it was too warm. The written service report says that they lubricated the striker/latch.  We'll have to see if that solves the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem with the manual liftgate, and if so, did you find a fix?

I think the latch and lock are one in the same electrically operated mechanism.  I often give the manual liftgate a quick pull and it won't open.  Then I remember and pull slowly to give it a chance to unlatch/unlock and it then opens fine.

I have been having an issue with my rear liftgate hatch not closing all the way.  It will close but does not latch tight.  I get the liftgate ajar message on the instrument panel.  Is anyone else having this problem.

There is an update/adjustment on this problem from your dealer. I had same issue and update fixed it.

• 4 months later...

I have been having same problem with power liftgate not shutting properly---it closes and then pops and light stays on and liftgate ajar stays on. Only way to close it to push down with force as it is closing down electronically. Took it to dealer and I demonstrated problem and due to their lack of communication , they said there was nothing wrong with it and had kept it all day and they were not able to fix anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here mine is automatic, in past every time I close tha liftgate with the key, once it close it makes a click noise that's how I know it's properly closed. I noticed yesterday the ajar message on my dashboard. So. Investigate and find out that there is no more click after I close the gate with the key.. If you slam the gate manually the ajar will go away. The problem is that, why would I do that if this this is a feature that I paid for ! Another problem is, if this does not close properly the light will remain on and the next day your battery will be dead. I called the dealer and they said that the have no appointment available , I said because you have no appointment available I will not jump start the care every morning. Not acceptable. Honestly this Carcost me so much money allready that I am verry sceptic all about this whole car . Mostly there are little things but, really annoying. As the take my time away from work and trip to dealer that are not efficient. If anyone has fix for this latch problem please post it on this forum so I can save another trip to dealer. Seem like every time I have issue with this car it cost me at least alone day vacation. Because they will take their sweet time whille I am waiting . Even simple thing like oil change wil take up to 2 hours.....

THE WORKS !!!!

Same problem here mine is automatic, in past every time I close tha liftgate with the key, once it close it makes a click noise that's how I know it's properly closed. I noticed yesterday the ajar message on my dashboard. So. Investigate and find out that there is no more click after I close the gate with the key.. If you slam the gate manually the ajar will go away. The problem is that, why would I do that if this this is a feature that I paid for ! Another problem is, if this does not close properly the light will remain on and the next day your battery will be dead. I called the dealer and they said that the have no appointment available , I said because you have no appointment available I will not jump start the care every morning. Not acceptable. Honestly this Carcost me so much money allready that I am verry sceptic all about this whole car . Mostly there are little things but, really annoying. As the take my time away from work and trip to dealer that are not efficient. If anyone has fix for this latch problem please post it on this forum so I can save another trip to dealer. Seem like every time I have issue with this car it cost me at least one day of my vacation, b

ecause they will take their sweet time whille I am waiting . Even simple thing like oil change wil take up to 2 hours.....

THE WORKS !!!!

Same problem here mine is automatic, in past every time I close tha liftgate with the key, once it close it makes a click noise that's how I know it's properly closed. I noticed yesterday the ajar message on my dashboard. So. Investigate and find out that there is no more click after I close the gate with the key.. If you slam the gate manually the ajar will go away. The problem is that, why would I do that if this this is a feature that I paid for ! Another problem is, if this does not close properly the light will remain on and the next day your battery will be dead. I called the dealer and they said that the have no appointment available , I said because you have no appointment available I will not jump start the care every morning. Not acceptable. Honestly this Carcost me so much money allready that I am verry sceptic all about this whole car . Mostly there are little things but, really annoying. As the take my time away from work and trip to dealer that are not efficient. If anyone has fix for this latch problem please post it on this forum so I can save another trip to dealer. Seem like every time I have issue with this car it cost me at least alone day vacation. Because they will take their sweet time whille I am waiting . Even simple thing like oil change wil take up to 2 hours.....

THE WORKS !!!!

Greetings and welcome

There is a lot of help available on this forum.

#1 is Crystal our Official Ford rep

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3310-official-ford-service-rep/?hl=ashley&do=findComment&comment=46121

You'll have to make 5 more posts on different threads (a forum restriction) before you can send her a private message (Send me a message)

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/user/1579-fordservice/

I have a couple of  suggestions,

find a new dealer, you can use ANY Ford dealer.

Get your oil changed ANYWHERE but your dealership, you DO NOT have to have your oil changed by Ford!

Good Luck

Edited by wab