One Tank Only of 100% gas

Bobs184000

Quick backstory: I love my 2013 C-Max and bought it used about 2 and a half years ago.

My average mpg on a tank of gas is usually between 47 and 48. I'm very happy with that, and that's using 87 octane gas from Kroger with ethanol (fuel points) = big savings).

For my birthday, I got some cash just to buy one tank of 100% gas, just for fun, to see what it does to the mileage.

This car always gets 87 octane with 10% ethanol.

My question is: if I'm going to buy just one full tank of 100% gas, should I get 87 octane 100% gas or 93 octane 100% gas if both are available.

I just want to make sure I'd be ok to run one tank of 93 octane no ethanol, and then go right back to the usual 87 with ethanol.

Thanks for any help!

The ECM automatically adjusts for octane, It is advancing the timing anytime It can until it detects ICE knock and then retards the timing.  So you can use any octane you want above 86 and I would use the highest octane Pure Gas you can get to see a noticeable difference performance and gas mileage. :)  Let us know how it goes.

Paul

This may seem odd, but the higher your mileage, the greater the benefit from pure 93 fuel. The benefit of about 8% is just about instantaneous, if you're already getting 50+ MPG. It's minuscule if you're getting 40 MPG. I never saw an effect in highway driving, only lower-speed rural driving. 

Frank

Thanks, I plan to fill up this week with a full tank of 93 non-ethanol. Will keep you posted. My guess is if an average tank gets me 47-48, I’m hoping to break the 50 mpg mark for the tank.

Just saw you are in  Knoxville, TN, My daughter lives their and I plan on seeing her in the near future. Where do you get 93 Pure Gas? :) 

Paul 

I drive from west Knoxville to Oak Ridge daily for work, can usually manage 52mpg on the way in, and 46mpg or so on the way back. There is a non branded station in Oak Ridge called Gasmart that feautures all grades of non-ethanol.

What’s nice is that it’s only 25 cents more than their ethanol kind.

Right now 100% gas is 2.84 for regular and 3.34 for 93.

Edited by Bobs184000

Already doing better after 1 day and 70 miles. My experiment looks to be a success so far.

Filled up with 12.9 gallons of 93 octane 100%gas.

On my 20 mile trip hike from work yesterday, I got 47mpg which is normal or slightly above normal at best for me.

Today’s trip to work was 55mpg and today’s trip home was 54. Interesting! It’s like it took the computer a half hour to figure out it had been filled up with the good stuff.

Excited to use the rest of this tank!

i have no expertise in this.  Here gas costs $128.5  for regular (at Petro Canada its all ethanol free, apparently), the mid is probably 3 cents more and supreme is 6 cents more.  They only have the 3 kinds.  That equates to i think about $4.86 cents a gallon for regular ..i dont think all gas stations are ethanol free though.  Is there a way to receive emails if somebody responds to your reply on this site ? thanks.

Not sure how people get such high mpg  , i dont have energy savers but i l drive slower than a grandmother and get roughly 42-45mpg in town, if i drive on the highway it drops to about 36mpg (driving 110kmh to 130km , not usually much slower i think 70mph upwards) Our speed limits rarely less than 110kmh  where i live.

Edited by DarenHayes

i have no expertise in this.  Here gas costs $128.5  for regular (at Petro Canada its all ethanol free, apparently), the mid is probably 3 cents more and supreme is 6 cents more.  They only have the 3 kinds.  That equates to i think about $4.86 cents a gallon for regular ..i dont think all gas stations are ethanol free though.  Is there a way to receive emails if somebody responds to your reply on this site ? thanks.

If you put the Cursor on the Name of Poster on the Top Line of a Post and click it you get a Box with Posters Name and a line that says Send Message and click it. :)  I sent you a message and you should see a red 1 under the envelope on the top line with your name on it. That is at the top of the scene.  :)

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

we have a couple places, I think one is Valero, that has the 93 ethanol free. i think i've run the higher octane on long trips and seems to add a couple MPG.

2018 Mustang? Nice. we have a few mustangs (not daily drivers) that are fun to drive. the newer technology of them are impressive. :)