cmax will not start, battery power good

meenergy

servicesd.exe, and car will not start

Sequence of events,

While driving the main touch screen display and all display lights flickered and flickered momentarily, radio went dead then went back to normal. It repeated this a few more times in a 15 minute time span, I continue driving and got home okay and shut the car off. The next morning the battery was dead, I charged it and it drove fine that day, but the next morning the battery was dead again.

I replaced the battery with a high quality Odyssey battery and the car drove and performed fine no problems for about 2 weeks.

Then one day while driving the main touch sync screen went black and radio went dead, then began to display the message (performing scheduled system maintenance, then reads application servicesd.exe encountered an error and must be shut down) then going black again and repeating with the same message over and over. I made one stop at the store before I went home, got back in the car, car started but the screen continue the same boot loop. I got home and turned car off turned it back on same problem. I decided to disconnect the main battery for 15 minutes in order to see if it reset the problem. When I connected the battery backup I got the following messages and the car would not start.

Service advance trac

Check park aid

Low engine oil pressure

engine coolant over temperature

Tire pressure monitor fault

Service Tire Mobility kit

And the touchscreen continues the reboot loop (Sync performing scheduled system maintenance with servicesd.exe error)

I attempted the disconnect battery routine again to see if it helped and it didn't, exact same thing reoccurs, and car will not start.

The car was towed to the Ford dealer and I was given a $175 starting estimate diagnostic fee. Later that day the dealer informed me the estimate is now $675 for further diagnostics and they required me to buy a Ford battery before they begin.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2013 c-max Energi

VIN Number: 1FADP5CU0DL537888

It sounds like while it was experiencing unreliable power the storage in your APIM got corrupted, the computer that controls the infotainment/touch screen.  A disk check (the "scheduled maintenance") would normally fix this but if it is severe enough or corrupted in just the right way you could get a loop as you mentioned.. Do you have Navigation?  If so have you tried pulling the SD card from the media hub in the center console in case the SD card is what is corrupted?   If it's the APIM I don't know if anyone can fix that but a Ford dealer and I don't know if it requires replacing the APIM or if they can just reflash the existing storage.

I think the infotainment system is separate from the systems that regulate the drivability of the car, but for all of those codes to set you definitely experienced low battery or an electrical short or something.

I'm not sure exactly why they are making you buy a Ford battery, hopefully you can still return the other one.

I'm sure it's going to be a fun problem to diagnose..sorry.

Was the battery you replaced the original that came with the car?   The C-Max has a 12 V Battery Management System algorithm.  You are to reset the data in the BMS when you change the battery.  In addition, the replacement battery (if not the MotorCraft battery) should be the same capacity (Ah) as the original. 

The algorithm computes degradation of the battery by integrating the current in / out of the battery over time. With this data the algorithm can better estimate losses and the State of Charge of the battery.   Without a reset, the new battery "inherits" these losses in SOC from new.  This likely means the new battery never gets fully charged. 

The above is likely why Ford requires the Odyssey battery to be replaced.   

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

A couple of thoughts, the old battery may be original and thus 5-6 years old, the charging algorithm wasn't fully charging the new battery, there wasn't sufficient SOC to complete the scheduled maintenance, and you disconnected the battery for 15 minutes.  I recall reading that Ford vehicles will default back to transport mode upon attempted powerup after a certain period of time with low / no battery voltage.

You can try this procedure to see if transport mode is the issue.

to manually disable transport mode:

Deactivation

1. Place the ignition in the OFF position.
  1. Verify the battery is fully charged.
  1. NOTE:On vehicles with Push-Button Start, place a programmed passive key in the PATSbackup starting location.

Place the ignition in the ON position.
  1. NOTE:Steps 4 and 5 must be carried out within 10 seconds.

Press and release the brake pedal 5 times.
  1. Press and release the hazard switch 2 times (on, off).

NOTE:When exiting Factory mode, the IPCmessage center indicates NORMAL MODE when the procedure has been successfully completed.

Place the ignition in the OFF position.

A low system voltage or bad battery can put the vehicle back into transport mode

as for why the vehicle went in this mode, your local dealer will need to test the battery and charging system and possible to a computer reflash 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 2 weeks later...

Update: my car has been at the ford dealership 3 weeks now and they still can't figure out what is wrong. I am beginning to think my next move is to pay the ransom money they will charge me for what they have done so far and just have it towed home.

I am putting together a laptop computer with vxdiag-nano adapter, and trying to find the free or low cost ford ids software to run on it.

And with the help I might find here on this forum try to fix it myself.

I appreciate any help I can get!

If the modules really are corrupted or fried then you may need to rely on a Ford service shop to replace them.  Depending on your situation you might inquire as to what other used stock they have available?   Dealer at the shop where I go is always trying to sell me their one 2017 C-MAX, but I like my car better because it has the panoramic roof and 203A technology package.  I would imagine this repair might cost some money, unless you get lucky and it's some critters chewing on a wire harness or something..  Sorry, I hope you are able to resolve.

Some shops do better with hybrids than others but if they have all of their internal scan tools and can't figure it out then wow..

• 2 weeks later...

cr08, Thank you, you were 100% right! The dealer cleared the fault codes and the car started ok, found the APIM was bad and replaced it.

$1447.00 total. The APIM was no longer under warranty.

I have learned my lesson and purchased the VXDIAG-NANO and will do all future diognostics and repairs myself!

Thank you everyone who helped me with suggestions!

cr08, Thank you, you were 100% right! The dealer cleared the fault codes and the car started ok, found the APIM was bad and replaced it.

$1447.00 total. The APIM was no longer under warranty.

I have learned my lesson and purchased the VXDIAG-NANO and will do all future diognostics and repairs myself!

Thank you everyone who helped me with suggestions

• 5 years later...
On 8/28/2018 at 12:59 AM, meenergy said:

servicesd.exe, and car will not start

Sequence of events,

While driving the main touch screen display and all display lights flickered and flickered momentarily, radio went dead then went back to normal. It repeated this a few more times in a 15 minute time span, I continue driving and got home okay and shut the car off. The next morning the battery was dead, I charged it and it drove fine that day, but the next morning the battery was dead again.

I replaced the battery with a high quality Odyssey battery and the car drove and performed fine no problems for about 2 weeks.

Then one day while driving the main touch sync screen went black and radio went dead, then began to display the message (performing scheduled system maintenance, then reads application servicesd.exe encountered an error and must be shut down) then going black again and repeating with the same message over and over. I made one stop at the store before I went home, got back in the car, car started but the screen continue the same boot loop. I got home and turned car off turned it back on same problem. I decided to disconnect the main battery for 15 minutes in order to see if it reset the problem. When I connected the battery backup I got the following messages and the car would not start.

Service advance trac

Check park aid

Low engine oil pressure

engine coolant over temperature

Tire pressure monitor fault

Service Tire Mobility kit

And the touchscreen continues the reboot loop (Sync performing scheduled system maintenance with servicesd.exe error)

I attempted the disconnect battery routine again to see if it helped and it didn't, exact same thing reoccurs, and car will not start.

The car was towed to the Ford dealer and I was given a $175 starting estimate diagnostic fee. Later that day the dealer informed me the estimate is now $675 for further diagnostics and they required me to buy a Ford battery before they begin.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2013 c-max Energi

VIN Number: 1FADP5CU0DL537888

Did you mean a high quality "Odyssey" as in Honda Odyssey?