Windshield Sun Shade

RedLdr1

If anyone is looking for a nice Windshield Sun Shade for their C-Max I just purchased the Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector Car Sun Shade (Part Number FD-55-R) from Auto Anything and it fits the C-Max perfect.  The Intro-Tech shields are a lined shield that folds, rather than roll, up in several hinged sections making it much easier to put in place than the "rollers".    The Ultimate is a "firm" shield that snaps in place from the top to bottom without the use of the sun visors to hold it.  As they age the ends don't curl up like up like the "rollers" on the ends.  Another nice feature is it is reversible which allows you to put the black side out to retain heat to help control frost and icing in theory...I don't get enough ice here, thankfully, to fairly test that claim.   I have been using this brand for several years in various cars and SUV's and have never had any issues or problems.

Holy smokes, thats expensive for a sunshade. Looks nice though. Thanks for the link.

Yes, I agree it is expensive.   But, I used to go through several of the "inexpensive" universal fit tinfoil "rollers" during the timeframe I'd keep a car.   Their combined cost plus the "aggravation factor" of the "rollers" almost fitting, curling, and tearing make it worth it for me... :)  These are new enough they haven't hit eBay yet, you might watch there for a better price when more Sellers start listing C-Max "stuff"... 

I know, but I had a "decent" branded one and the thread started self destructing leave little black pieces all over my old car, it was disgusting.

Lets keep this thread going, I am sure I am not the only one looking for a decent fairly priced sunshade. Costco used to have them but unfortunately these CMax windows are HUGE and they did not fit.

I know, but I had a "decent" branded one and the thread started self destructing leave little black pieces all over my old car, it was disgusting.

I had a CoverCraft brand do that after just six months.  They only have a 90 day Warranty so that $40+ screen was trashed.  To say the least I wasn't happy so now I buy Intro-Tech.

Lets keep this thread going, I am sure I am not the only one looking for a decent fairly priced sunshade. Costco used to have them but unfortunately these CMax windows are HUGE and they did not fit.

Anything you buy at Costco, WalMart, Target, or a auto supply store that comes in four or five sizes, won't fit...at least properly.   Intro-Tech has over 2,600 patterns for their screens so part of their value proposition is you are getting a product that should fit correctly.   And you are getting a "Lifetime" Warranty if it does fail.  I have yet to test that Warranty as I haven't had any issues with any of mine.  

During the summer heat here in "Hotlanta" I hate walking out and opening the door to an "oven" that will take at least 10 minutes, in ugly commuter traffic, to cool down.... :nonono:  I've found tinting the windows and using a well fitting sunscreen keeps the car considerably cooler so it is worth the cost for me.

Note:  I have no financial, or other, interests in Intro-Tech.

I got one of these sunshades discussed in the first post a month or so ago.  It is definitely great quality, but it is VERY bulky.  Kind of built like a tank, and it is big as one, so it is a tradeoff.  I like it overall, but must store it in the backseat or in the cargo area if your backseat is often occupied.

I got one of these sunshades discussed in the first post a month or so ago.  It is definitely great quality, but it is VERY bulky.  Kind of built like a tank, and it is big as one, so it is a tradeoff.  I like it overall, but must store it in the backseat or in the cargo area if your backseat is often occupied.

I just use the reflective square-ish ones and they seem to hold up well enough in my old vehicle.  They fold up small enough too.

• 3 weeks later...

Yah, folded up it is 38x7x2" and it isn't foldable so it takes up a bit of space.  Not that I'm complaining, I couldn't find any 'regular' sunscreen that was tall enough to be held in place with the sun visors.

• 1 month later...

I've used fold-up and roller sun shades and they both have advantages  / disadvantages.  But the C-Max windshield sun shade is 38" deep which is 9" more than my Jetta custom fit roll up one.  I would think that the flexible roll up shade (which requires the sun visor to hold in place) would be more difficult to get a snug fit than the fold out one especially in the C-Max since it is so large.   After a few years use in my Jetta, the roll up one was curved at the corners and bowed at the top and would not provide the same fit as when new.  I can also say that the "generic ones" that Costco, Walmart sell fit very poorly in the vehicles that I tried then in and simply returned them and bought custom fit ones.

As far as size comparisons,  you can probably roll up a thinner roll up shade into a smaller space than the fold up one but the tighter one rolls up a shade the more the  shade will likely become deformed and not fit as snugly (as I experienced in my Jetta).

I opted to order the fold up one in the first post and should have it in a few days and will give my impressions of it when I get it.     

I've been using my Intro-Tech now for two months with no issues.   Leaving the black side out may or may not be keeping the C-Max a little warmer... :headscratch:  There is no real way to validate that claim with the weird weather we have been having around here!  I just ordered one for the new Fusion, at least it will be a bit smaller since the windshield seems miniscule when compared to the C-Max! ;)

I received the Into-Tech shade today.  It is by far the best quality and best fit shade that I've owned.  

But probably the best feature is the ease of putting it up and taking it down.  Lay the bottom of the shade on the dash, unfold, slide bottom of shade to bottom of windshield, lift top of shade up to top of windshield and snap in place.   The shade is cut out at the top to bypass the rear view mirror (see the pics on the website) so it slides by the rear view mirror with no bending / contorting the shade.  There is a gap between the top of the windshield and the flexible headliner.  The top of the shade snaps into this gap.  To remove simply push up on the headliner and pull the shade out of the gap. 

It is rather expensive but IMHO it's worth the $59.

I just ordered 2 of these

I received the Into-Tech shade today.  It is by far the best quality and best fit shade that I've owned.  

But probably the best feature is the ease of putting it up and taking it down.  Lay the bottom of the shade on the dash, unfold, slide bottom of shade to bottom of windshield, lift top of shade up to top of windshield and snap in place.   The shade is cut out at the top to bypass the rear view mirror (see the pics on the website) so it slides by the rear view mirror with no bending / contorting the shade.  There is a gap between the top of the windshield and the flexible headliner.  The top of the shade snaps into this gap.  To remove simply push up on the headliner and pull the shade out of the gap. 

It is rather expensive but IMHO it's worth the $59.

I just ordered two of these, one for our daughters 2012 Golf TDI, the other for our C-Max.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone is looking for a nice Windshield Sun Shade for their C-Max I just purchased the Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector Car Sun Shade (Part Number FD-55-R) from Auto Anything and it fits the C-Max perfect.  The Intro-Tech shields are a lined shield that folds, rather than roll, up in several hinged sections making it much easier to put in place than the "rollers".    The Ultimate is a "firm" shield that snaps in place from the top to bottom without the use of the sun visors to hold it.  As they age the ends don't curl up like up like the "rollers" on the ends.  Another nice feature is it is reversible which allows you to put the black side out to retain heat to help control frost and icing in theory...I don't get enough ice here, thankfully, to fairly test that claim.   I have been using this brand for several years in various cars and SUV's and have never had any issues or problems.

I just ordered the Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector from AutoAnything(RedLdr1's link) and they gave me a 19% discount if I ordered it this visit, so I did. ( a red/orange[as I recall] window was up with the discount offer. ) 

So for people that haven't gotten one and may want to, perhaps you might want to try to get the website to give you the 19% off or call them to try to get the discount.  I am not sure if I got the offer because it was my first time, or because I came back after a couple weeks (not sure if I looked at it before, but I do occasionally delete cookies).

For those that already bought one, there is a 1-year price guarantee and you may be able to get the 19% off (11.36) sent to you.

My total came to 48.56 shipped and I am getting a free steering wheel cover, though I would rather pay less and not get the cover, but maybe it is a great cover.  It will ship in a few days.

By the way, I just noticed that it may also be possible to get a 3% discount/rebate using Fatwallet.com's fatcash.  (too late now for me, but perhaps it would invalidate the 19% off)

UPDATE: JULY 3, 2013

I have been using the shade for a while and like it, glad I got it.  

Edited by obob

Hey every little bit helps so good news on the discount.  I myself was the beneficiary of finding a used Intro-tech for sale here on the forum.  

Anyway, it does reflect heat exceptionally well (I also have dark tint) and fits the windshield very well (no sun visors needed to hold it in place).  It's also very well constructed, thick and sturdy.  Similar ones sold in autoparts stores, walmart, etc are a joke in comparison; however, that's also the one and only downside I can find.  It's big and cumbersome to store.  Other than that, a very big thumbs up!  :rockon: <  not exactly the correct emoticon  :)